shape
carat
color
clarity

Obscenity in today's pop music is a problem for this music teacher

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
And Kenny, I understand your concern here. I listen to some music that many would consider to be on the borderline between creativity and vulgarity .....

......I think that with the modern media, kids can learn context around the lyrics behind their favourite songs easier than I could as a kid so it helps temper vulgarity. But it's also not up to you to ensure all of this, it's the parents job so I don't blame you for just keeping clear of it altogether as a music teacher. You're there to teach music theory, not explain context.
that's what social studies was for
or even in English studying poetry a teacher of mine would use somg lyrics we heard on the radio
admittedly not containing sex or profanity !

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think deferring to parents is wise, as is editing swear words given an audience that may not have consented to explicit language.

Teens can be worlds apart in their experiences, perspectives, and sophistication of insight. I work with kids as a mental health professional and some of the things I’ve heard would make me swear too. Sometimes swearing is the appropriate linguistic and cathartic response to a situation, at least in my opinion. And content wise, I don’t mind controversial content as it supplies a good way to talk about the hard topics. Just because adults aren’t witnessing it, doesn’t mean kids aren’t talking amongst themselves or experiencing things and reaching their own sometimes strange conclusions.

I grew up with Eminem who created extremely violent and vulgar music under an alter ego Slim Shady, but is also incredibly talented in terms of language, and in more recent real life accounts seems to be quite a lovely human in his care of his daughter and taking custody of his ex’s kids. He’s kind of a polarizing and fascinating extreme example.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, my student's mom texted me that the song has been nixed.
I respect that.
I did not challenger her, argue, discuss, or ask for any explanation.
Parents' call!

But Dang!
MUSICALLY, I loved that song and have a killer guitar part, and beautiful amp settings for it.
Today, I very briefly discussed the discussion with the kids.
I got to air my concerns about bringing up the issue with their parents, but I didn't get into details or opinions about the song.
Happily the girlfriend brought in another wonderful song we're gonna do.

So be it.
The parent's are in charge! :clap: - and I'm getting paid.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I 100% agree with you and I'd (as the teacher) set those boundaries from the outset that they can choose songs but they cannot include offensive material, however you want to define it. There is plenty of good music that does not include offensive material. I guess I am attached to most of the classic rock and roll in the 70s where they managed to not use the f-word in every other sentence.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I know this adds nothing to your thread about how to deal with today's lyrics while teaching teens . . . and it won't come as a shock to realize that I don't listen to much pop/hip-hop/r&b from the last decade or so . . .

But, I confess that I did not know you were a music teacher, and that you played guitar and piano. What do you like to play or listen to?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Totally think that you did the right thing by running it by the parents.

I was in a dance group at that age and we were supposed to do the Cell Block Tango from Chicago for our final year recital. One mother freaked out and it was nixed after we ordered the costumes.

You never know what’s going to offend someone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... But, I confess that I did not know you were a music teacher, and that you played guitar and piano. What do you like to play or listen to?

My earliest memory is wanting a piano more than anything.
Since a piano was too expensive I was given a guitar and taught myself.
I play James Taylor type music.

At age 40 I finally got a piano and studied 'properly' with a fine teacher.
On piano I play classical.

Thanks for asking. :))

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I love James Taylor; I've probably seen him in concert more than any other musical act . . . If I had to pick one genre of music over another, I'd probably go with singer/songwriter, especially of the 60s-70s time frame.

My mom was a pianist, and I'm sure she had hoped her girls would be good at playing; not so much. She preferred to play Chopin and Gershwin. I love classical, but my listen-to favorite is George Winston.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results