shape
carat
color
clarity

Objectivity of Pricescope?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mb2008

Rough_Rock
First let me say this website is amazing - I feel like I have learned more in a few hours on it than through a few months of engagement ring shopping at the usual suspects.

I am a bit of a skeptic though and question anything that seems to be too good... It feels like there are a lot of posts, search results recommending just a few companies - Whiteflash, GOG, and a couple others. Are these few companies really standouts? Or is there any chance that this is the result of advertising $ influence and/or commandeering of the forums by posters from these companies?

Not sure exactly what would remove last doubts I have - are there other websites similar to Pricescope where discussion tends towards these same handful of companies?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 12:58:03 PM
Author:mb2008
Or is there any chance that this is the result of advertising $ influence and/or commandeering of the forums by posters from these companies?
Wow. If you''d been a member as long as I have you''d have seen the scrupulous care the forum manager takes to prevent that very thing from occurring. Including lifetime bans to any foolish companies that try to do just that. I can think of a couple that have come and gone. The vendors who post here are required to identify themselves. Perhaps you should check out the forum rules that are posted.

As to popular vendors...

Like any community, favorites are sure to crop up. People have positive experiences, write about them, recommend them and the business grows. Here on Pscope people can also find NEGATIVE stories about any of the vendors ... because mistakes happen. Its how people respond to mistakes that build reputation. I haven''t purchased from Whiteflash, GOG or others ... my purchases have been lesser known vendors or, gasp, even a diamond district STOREFRONT ... but I''d consider future purchases from most of the people with strong reputations around here due to a long history of happy customers & fair dealings when things go wrong.

Shifty types & sketchy vendors are QUICKLY outed & booted. I''m not gonna name names but a few searches might clue you in.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
There certainly is favoritism here for our favorite vendors. But they are favorites because many of us real life people have made purchases through them, many of us more than once.

Favorites here are favorites because they give good value for the $ and treat their customers well. Period.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 5:40:26 PM
Author: neatfreak
There certainly is favoritism here for our favorite vendors. But they are favorites because many of us real life people have made purchases through them, many of us more than once.

Favorites here are favorites because they give good value for the $ and treat their customers well. Period.

Ditto-I actually sort of thought the same thing as you when I first found PS, but I quickly realized that places like GOG and WF are PS favorites because they''ve earned it. Same goes for what I would consider the rest of the PS favorites-Engagement Rings Direct, Winfield''s, Pearlman''s, etc.

I''ve worked with Whiteflash twice and they''ve exceeded my super high expectations (based on what I''ve read here) twice. I''d gladly work with GOG, ERD, Winfield''s or Pearlman''s as well, based on what I''ve read here on PS about customer experiences with them.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
mb,

Guess you''ve kind of got a closed system here.

Sort of the opposite of asking someone how often they beat their wife.

You might consider, though, going to someone you DO trust, a) asking them if they''ve heard of this, and if not b) showing it to them, and then asking them to comment.

I think you have a ghetto here...of considerable talent. Maybe also...a lost world.

Then again...consider top of page two. Maybe there IS another website that''s better.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

I can be a skeptic also, so I understand your concerns especially since I have questioned the same thing. In the end, though, even if that is the case, I kind of don't care. The path I took towards my ideal cut diamond was this: I used a recommended vendor (Mark at Engagement Rings Direct and who happened to work for GIA at one point). I called and told him I was a Pricescoper and he found me a diamond that:

1. Was GIA excellent cut grade (now they would definitely have no affiliation here as they are an independent grading lab). AGS would be better because they do more precise cut gradings (but are more expensive)
2. Lots of good feedback on Pricescope ( Which I have no doubts that someone would post their negative experiences on a public forum as this one if that were the case.) I figure they HAVE to do good work for people on the site or their reputation would be questioned.
3. My own eyes. I upgraded my diamond I had (score 2.0 on the HCA but with a fish eye
14.gif
) to the diamond I bought from Mark HCA 1.0). While both were sparkly, the one from ERD was just sparklier. I can't even find my inclusion (SI2!) because the sparkle diverts my eyes!
4. The responses from people when they gasp at my ring. Twice as many than they other diamond I had.

So: GIA or AGS(independent lab) + Pricescope (questionable(not to me though) +my own eyes to compare + others' eyes=
one heck of a diamond

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We walk a fine line to keep the objective nature of Pricescope''s forums. All the frequent posters have a pretty good feeling for the high value of the community we have here. It is a truly unique environment.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great questions and welcome
35.gif
mb!

I''ve seen periods during the last several years where the "favorites" shift from time to time.
However, it''s interesting to note that the core group of vendors remain strong because of
their excellent customer service and dedication to quality.

Jeff Averbook,GG
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser
Celebrating 30 years in the jewelry industry
36.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
I have to say that GOG sounded familiar to me, but couldn''t place it. I looked on their website and they are a jeweler that is down the street from where I lived growing up! I know tons of family and friends that would go to them often for all their needs and have always been happy. I couldn''t believe that it was the same jeweler and that completely solidified my trust in what is posted here!

Muss

Shiny_Rock

A butcher doesn''t say a porterhouse is better than a flank steak and a mechanic doesn''t say a Lexus us better than a Yugo because they get kickbacks. Rather, it is because their training, education and experiences support these claims.

In the past two months I have contacted 3 of the vendors commonly mentioned here. I have also visited around 15 different stores throughout the area I live from high end to low and family owed to chain. The prices aren''t even close, and only rarely have the products been as nice. Furthermore, and this is the truly surprising part, the service I have received from people thousands of miles away has been head and shoulders above the people I have spoken with face to face.

But none of this matters. This site exists because people were skeptical of what local jewelry dealers were telling them, so you are wise to be doing the same. Talk to some vendors (I personally recommend Winfields and WF) and go to some local places. Make your own decision. In the end, all these online vendors have return polices that allow you the opportunity to have your product reviewed by an independent appraiser of your choice. Tell me what local guy openly offers that?

Plus, if we are getting a kickback than someone ows me some money! I had to pay for my diamond

9.gif

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:02:39 PM
Author: Muss

A butcher doesn''t say a porterhouse is better than a flank steak and a mechanic doesn''t say a Lexus us better than a Yugo because they get kickbacks. Rather, it is because their training, education and experiences support these claims.

In the past two months I have contacted 3 of the vendors commonly mentioned here. I have also visited around 15 different stores throughout the area I live from high end to low and family owed to chain. The prices aren''t even close, and only rarely have the products been as nice. Furthermore, and this is the truly surprising part, the service I have received from people thousands of miles away has been head and shoulders above the people I have spoken with face to face.

But none of this matters. This site exists because people were skeptical of what local jewelry dealers were telling them, so you are wise to be doing the same. Talk to some vendors (I personally recommend Winfields and WF) and go to some local places. Make your own decision. In the end, all these online vendors have return polices that allow you the opportunity to have your product reviewed by an independent appraiser of your choice. Tell me what local guy openly offers that?

Plus, if we are getting a kickback than someone ows me some money! I had to pay for my diamond

9.gif

3.gif
LMAO

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an incredibly honest forum and very strict regarding shills.

I promote vendors who I have dealt with personally because I received high quality products at a fair price compared to worse quality and higher prices encountered locally. You will see lots of praise as well as a few complaints for most of the vendors here. The great thing is that there is usually a good resolution to the problems!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 12:46:45 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
This is an incredibly honest forum and very strict regarding shills.

I promote vendors who I have dealt with personally because I received high quality products at a fair price compared to worse quality and higher prices encountered locally. You will see lots of praise as well as a few complaints for most of the vendors here. The great thing is that there is usually a good resolution to the problems!

Ditto :) the prices where I live are astronomical (a 1.4ct H,SI1 AGS0 is 34k
6.gif
)

For me being a first time buyer and especially buying from net from o/s to me it was nice to know others had good results before. One of the reasons I went with the vendor I did is that they take time out to participate and educate on the forums (within pricescope guidelines), plus their service was impeccable. Thanks to this community I found a better diamond then I would have found on my own.

So yes there can be a perceived bias but it bias from prior experience :)

honey22

Ideal_Rock
As a member who sometimes suggests other to use WF or GOG, I think this is a good oportunity to explain why I do.

WF - I just
30.gif
them. Seriously though, my ering is from WF, and it''s incredible. My ACA is the sparkliest thing I have ever seen, I am just blown away with it! The service I received from Lesely was incredible, I just can''t say enough about the committment to customer service. I would recommend them in a heartbeat! I am still amazed at the patience and time Lesley had for my little solitaire - I always felt like she was listening and that my ring was of the utmost importance to them. It was almost like my project was their sole focus - which of course it wasn''t. I am sure there was much bigger,more elaborate and more expensive pieces being made at the time, but I really felt like my ring was as important to them as it was to me. Simply fantastic.

GOG - although I havn''t dealt with them personally, I am a big fan of their website, lots of info, stats etc to make an informed choice. They also have a great reputation around here, so I dont mind suggesting stones from their inventory. I usually comment that I havn''t purchased from them however, as I don''t want to mislead anyone.

I really really appreciate the knowledge and help I have got from PS. I have found a new addiction - I just can''t get enough. I get excited to see new posters (I have a soft spot for helping fellow Aussies) and help them get an incredible stone for an incredible price. Which is exactly what PS helped me to go and I really am grateful. I just want to give some back to the community that helped me find the most beautiful diamond I have ever set eyes on.

Although, there can be some negative effects of PS
27.gif
. I have these cubic zirconia earrings that I thought were lovely and sparkly. They are very cheap but I thought they looked quite nice for ''costume jewellery'' and was a tad suprised that they sparkled. After opening that box with my ACA diamond, I have never looked at those cheap earrings the same. They have lost their life, their sparkle, everything justs looks drab now! I always feel a bit dissapointed when I look at them now, but I wouldn''t have it any other way. Oh well, I know a cure - diamond earrings!!!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Well I'm a skeptic so I like to research the living crap out of everything. I also really, really, really hate getting ripped off. I looked at B&M stores and various stores online, but what sold me on my vendor of choice were customer reviews, the many examples of their work posted here, and the price when compared to other places of lower quality.

Also, I think Pricescope keeps a lot of vendors in check because if we have a problem, they know we have a place to go where we can vent, cry, and/or find another vendor. I am extremely happy I found this site before FF purchased my ring. I've seen plenty of large yet non-sparkley diamonds because people think more about carat than cut. Now thanks to PS I'm a cut nut and I am DYING to see my super sparkley!!

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 8:42:39 AM
Author: MoonWater
Well I''m a skeptic so I like to research the living crap out of everything. I also really, really, really hate getting ripped off. I looked at B&M stores and various stores online, but what sold me on my vendor of choice were customer reviews, the many examples of their work posted here, and the price when compared to other places of lower quality.

Also, I think Pricescope keeps a lot of vendors in check because if we have a problem, they know we have a place to go where we can vent, cry, and/or find another vendor. I am extremely happy I found this site before FF purchased my ring. I''ve seen plenty of large yet non-sparkley diamonds because people think more about carat than cut. Now thanks to PS I''m a cut nut and I am DYING to see my super sparkley!!
I''m also ridiculously skeptical. When I first found Pricescope I lurked for months to see if it was some sort of front for the vendors. But the great power of Pricescope is the fact that anyone can join and contribute. This means bad vendors will be outed in public. The better vendors will become well known and favoured.

Another strength of the site is the sheer volume of information available. The archives cover pretty much anything you can think of, so if you have doubts about a vendor, there''s bound to be something about them in the history of the forum. The forum search is about the best thing ever invented.

I must say that this a brilliant thread and a perfectly legitimate question. Well done, mb2008.

Proof of how skeptical I am: I had doubts about how trustworthy jewellers were. I bought a book about diamonds to make sure I didn''t get ripped off. I had doubts about the author so I researched them online. I found Pricescope had some info on the author. I had doubts about Pricescope, so I lurked for months and researched posted info. Just because I''m paranoid doesn''t mean they aren''t out to get me!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m something of a professional skeptic and am a regular participant here. You will find that the advice you get here does have a certain flavor to it that’s considerably different from what you’ll get elsewhere and it’s just cause for the question. Here''s a few thoughts.

The people giving advice here are unapologetic fans of diamonds. Even the dealers. It''s not just another commodity. The people here are very research driven and have come to the conclusion that diamonds are not all the same and that a bit of dedicated research and due diligence will result in not only a better diamond but a better ring and a better price. That alone makes this place special. It''s all about empowering YOU.

The consumer advisors here almost all started out by finding that they wanted to buy a diamond for themselves or a loved one and were pleased with how it worked out for them. That’s why they keep coming back. They enjoyed the process, they enjoy the results and they enjoy helping others follow the same path. It’s FUN to be seen as an expert and have people ask you for advice. Most newbies are pretty blind when it comes to telling the differences between diamonds and many start out here with conflicting information that they got from a variety of sources and most find the shopping process frustrating. Helping people sort it all out is empowering and fun. Pricescope pays no one here for their participation.

For a dealer (or an appraiser), succeeding here is really pretty difficult. It’s a very public discussion. It''s not unusual to have a discussion with literally thousands of views. Most of the ones who succeed at it are probably not the stores or appraisers that you had already discovered before arriving here. It’s a different style of promotion from, say, advertising with Google, yellow pages or in a magazine. By giving good advice, they hope that you will click through to their site and choose them over their thousands of competitors. It seems to work fairly well but make no mistake, these folks are competitors with one another and with all of those other dealers out there. They want your business. The Pricescope rules keep the competition on a friendly level and the consumers will call them on it if the advice is wrong or misleading. The combination works to keep all of the pros on the straight and narrow and keeps them competing on the basis of who can best fill the needs of the customers. It''s really very effective and I only wish there was a site like this for more industries.

Pricescope gets paid by the fees charged to the dealers for including their diamonds in the database and for the banner ads that you see on the various pages. They get nothing at all as a result of a particular sale and have no way of knowing if you decide buy anything or not. They have no way of knowing what you choose, where you choose it or anything else about a particular deal and there is no payment based on what you buy other than, perhaps, the fact that successful dealers continue to advertise and participate and those who aren’t making sales eventually go away. It’s survival of the fittest. The fact that consumers here are anonymous guarantees this. They CAN’T track you or your purchases, even if they wanted to and, without that control, there''s no opportunity to conspire.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for you excellent post Neil
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm also glad this thread came up, as it gives me a place to explain why I work/help the way I do.

After helping out here for the last two years, I have helped find a lot of diamonds. I have found that there are certain vendors who almost always have what I'm looking for at a good price. I do try, many times, to look all over. But there are some who just rarely have anything I need, or they do, but they are much more expensive. I just can't see suggesting a stone that's several hundred, to a thousand or more dollars, instead of a similar stone somewhere else for less.

Info plays a big part too, some vendors have everything I want to look at, that's key. And upgrade policies come into play also.

So while it may seem sometimes like I have favorites, that's not really it, it's everything else I've mentioned.

And I for one don't really like, nor think it's fun to be perceived as an expert. I'm not, far from it. But I have learned enough to help out, and to pay it forward on what I got out of this place when I came here a little over 2 years ago. That's my only reward, and that is more than enough.
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to mention is that we tend to value both the excellent customer service some vendors provide, but also the fact that they provide additional data about the stones they sell such as reports and real pictures.

Not that BlueNile doesn''t have access to great stones, but I''d rather deal with Whiteflash, GOG or James Allen because they provide enough info for me to effectively narrow my search.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/23/2008 11:29:02 AM
Author: Ellen
I'm also glad this thread came up, as it gives me a place to explain why I work/help the way I do.

After helping out here for the last two years, I have helped find a lot of diamonds. I have found that there are certain vendors who almost always have what I'm looking for at a good price. I do try, many times, to look all over. But there are some who just rarely have anything I need, or they do, but they are much more expensive. I just can't see suggesting a stone that's several hundred, to a thousand or more dollars, instead of a similar stone somewhere else for less.

Info plays a big part too, some vendors have everything I want to look at, that's key. And upgrade policies come into play also.

So while it may seem sometimes like I have favorites, that's not really it, it's everything else I've mentioned.

And I for one don't really like, nor think it's fun to be perceived as an expert. I'm not, far from it. But I have learned enough to help out, and to pay it forward on what I got out of this place when I came here a little over 2 years ago. That's my only reward, and that is more than enough.
1.gif

Ellen,

You under rate yourself. Your expertise is as a shopper, helping people sort through the mountains of available information in order to get to the diamond and the deal that’s right for THEM. In most cases this is actually more valuable then gemological expertise (a subject where you’re no slacker either). Capable gemologists are remarkably easy to find compared to kind of skilled assistance that you offer nearly every day.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2008 12:43:47 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Date: 4/23/2008 11:29:02 AM
Author: Ellen
I''m also glad this thread came up, as it gives me a place to explain why I work/help the way I do.

After helping out here for the last two years, I have helped find a lot of diamonds. I have found that there are certain vendors who almost always have what I''m looking for at a good price. I do try, many times, to look all over. But there are some who just rarely have anything I need, or they do, but they are much more expensive. I just can''t see suggesting a stone that''s several hundred, to a thousand or more dollars, instead of a similar stone somewhere else for less.

Info plays a big part too, some vendors have everything I want to look at, that''s key. And upgrade policies come into play also.

So while it may seem sometimes like I have favorites, that''s not really it, it''s everything else I''ve mentioned.

And I for one don''t really like, nor think it''s fun to be perceived as an expert. I''m not, far from it. But I have learned enough to help out, and to pay it forward on what I got out of this place when I came here a little over 2 years ago. That''s my only reward, and that is more than enough.
1.gif

Ellen,

You under rate yourself. Your expertise is as a shopper, helping people sort through the mountains of available information in order to get to the diamond and the deal that’s right for THEM. In most cases this is actually more valuable then gemological expertise (a subject where you’re no slacker either). Capable gemologists are remarkably easy to find compared to kind of skilled assistance that you offer nearly every day.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver
A hearty DITTO!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Neil, I honestly don''t know what to say, besides thank you!

I have received some awfully nice compliments from folks here in the past, but I have to say, this one has truly left me speechless. It means a great deal to have these things said about me by a "real" professional. Thank you again, and I hope I continue to live up to your kind words.
1.gif

And thank you too Miss Lorele, my partner in crime.
2.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2008 9:36:26 AM
Author: Splinter

Proof of how skeptical I am: I had doubts about how trustworthy jewellers were. I bought a book about diamonds to make sure I didn't get ripped off. I had doubts about the author so I researched them online. I found Pricescope had some info on the author. I had doubts about Pricescope, so I lurked for months and researched posted info. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me!
Hahahahahaha, you are awesome!

ETA: Ditto about Ellen!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
You are hearing so much about GoodOldGold because they sell truly great diamonds and educate the customer in the process. I bought a diamond from them and could not be happier.

clop

Shiny_Rock
Hi mb2008,

I saw your post a while ago, and had been meaning to reply. Apologies for the lateness...

When my fiance & I first started our diamond (Assher) search, we hit the b&m first. Unfortunately, either they had very little or no stock, or were completely unknowledgeable about Asschers. (The stones they did had either did not fit our specs, or were quite terrible) Then we searched bluenile - which was fine, except they provided very little information, and no pictures. My fiance was the one who found this forum, and so we discovered the vendors recommended here. To be honest, when I first heard the name good old gold, my friends & I thought it was well, the name rhymed, and everyone was leery...However, after doing proper research, I decided to go ahead with them.

The reason I went with GOG was because of their expertise and knowledge pertaining to Asschers. They provide all the necessary #s, %s, pictures, and scans. I didn''t completely trust my eyes alone to determine a great stone, and wanted the materials to back up my assessment. Their customer service was also flawless and they were very very accommodating.

The above does not only pertain to GOG, though they are the only vendor I have dealt with. I''ve also read glowing reviews of all the others.

There were no other vendors that were able to provide that level of service or information, and that is the reason I (& probably others) went with GOG.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Another great benefit for me, as an appraiser, is that I've met other appraisers
that post here. I've had many interesting phone conversations with Neil (in Denver) and met and spoke
to Dave Atlas at a conference last summer in Atlanta. Marty Haske, a few miles away, is a wealth of
knowledge and always tells it like it is. We all have our own ideas and passions about this industry that we grew up in and admire.

Pricescope pulls us all together..the vendors, the designers, the prosumers, the consumers, and yes..
even the appraisers.

I'm meeting some of the best and brightest prosumers in the New England area because of
Pricescope. Together,we'll continue to learn and to educate others ...it's a fun journey.

Jeff Averbook,GG
Graduate Gemologist since 1986

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

teacherk

Rough_Rock
Great question! I was a skeptical at first too. I lurked for moths before posting. I was overwhelmed with the helpful attitudes of the members. I started posting questions thinking I would just get enough information to make a decent purchase at a "real" store or an online retailer I had heard of like Blue Nile. After reading the posts, positive and negative very candid comments from such a wide variety of members, I started to feel more like this was not just veiled marketing but true real life experiences being shared, which is exactly what it is. What is more valuable than that? I just made my ring purchase from White Flash based on recommendations from members here. I could not be happier!
30.gif
I had my ring looked at by my local jeweler and he was totally blown away by the quality. He knew I was within my 10 day inspection period and could have tried to talk me into sending it back and buying something from him, but he couldn''t deny the quality. He told me he couldn''t get a ring of the same quality for what I paid wholesale, let alone sell it for that. That''s really the bottom line around here. Getting the best you can for the money you spend and becoming an educated buyer. This forum saved me almost $2,000 and saved me from a huge buying mistake that I would have had to wear around with regrets for years or eat a loss and start over. I am very thankful for PS!!
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think overall people here are about information, truth in advertising, good customer service and value, and knowledgeable staff. I have personally never bought something from any of the vendors except a Cartier band from signed pieces, and I was pleased, but I think the breadth and depth of knowledge from so many of the regular posters here is invaluable. I do not sense they push anyone, but rather, for the most part, vendors here have passed muster with some very savvy consumers. And when there are glitches, most of the vendors here want to resolve things and have reason to. A local small store may not think big picture or long and hard about how their actions impact a customer, and in fact sometimes lose customers due to their actions. Here, I have found the majority of feedback on certain vendors in overwhelmingly positive. As this is an educated group, that means a lot. This is a consumer information site, therefore there is consuming going on. I have never felt it really weighted in one direction. And of course one can do research and still opt, for many valid reasons, to stay with a local store. It is hard for some people to really get comfortable with on line shopping for gems.

That said, Leon is a master to me, and I would never have even seen his work or known about him except for PS. To me, it is all about education and informing consumers so they can make an enlightened choice , whatever that ends up meaning to them.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/23/2008 9:36:26 AM
Author: Splinter

Date: 4/23/2008 8:42:39 AM
Author: MoonWater
Well I'm a skeptic so I like to research the living crap out of everything. I also really, really, really hate getting ripped off. I looked at B&M stores and various stores online, but what sold me on my vendor of choice were customer reviews, the many examples of their work posted here, and the price when compared to other places of lower quality.

Also, I think Pricescope keeps a lot of vendors in check because if we have a problem, they know we have a place to go where we can vent, cry, and/or find another vendor. I am extremely happy I found this site before FF purchased my ring. I've seen plenty of large yet non-sparkley diamonds because people think more about carat than cut. Now thanks to PS I'm a cut nut and I am DYING to see my super sparkley!!
I'm also ridiculously skeptical. When I first found Pricescope I lurked for months to see if it was some sort of front for the vendors. But the great power of Pricescope is the fact that anyone can join and contribute. This means bad vendors will be outed in public. The better vendors will become well known and favoured.

Another strength of the site is the sheer volume of information available. The archives cover pretty much anything you can think of, so if you have doubts about a vendor, there's bound to be something about them in the history of the forum. The forum search is about the best thing ever invented.

I must say that this a brilliant thread and a perfectly legitimate question. Well done, mb2008.

Proof of how skeptical I am: I had doubts about how trustworthy jewellers were. I bought a book about diamonds to make sure I didn't get ripped off. I had doubts about the author so I researched them online. I found Pricescope had some info on the author. I had doubts about Pricescope, so I lurked for months and researched posted info. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me!

LOL! Am I correct in guessing the author's first name is Fred? You know, the convicted felon who's book is a blatant advertisement for buying only from him as everyone else in the trade is a crook?

If that book did not make you sceptical we should have to take away your skeptic's license.

Wink in Vegas

P.S. What a delightful thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results