carat
color
clarity

Oberlin College Students: Cafeteria Food Is Racist

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll tell ya.
If I got near one of these special snowflakes :roll: I'd reach for my concealed heat gun. :lol:

Here is a small snip ...

"University dining halls aren’t exactly famous for serving gourmet dishes, but Oberlin students say their meals aren’t merely bad—they are racially inauthentic, and thus, a form of microaggression.

It’s one thing to quietly gripe about the quality of dorm food (students have likely been doing that for centuries). It’s quite another to accuse the dining room staff of stealing from Asian culture because they didn’t prepare the General Tso’s chicken with the correct sauce."

The rest of the story: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/20/oberlin-students-cafeteria-food-is-racist.html

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Those poor snowflakes better never eat at a Taco Bell! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mean, this can't be serious.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is ridiculous. And I'm sorry expecting "authentic" Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese food from a school cafeteria is, expecting miracles. I'm sorry that these international students are stuck in the middle of Ohio versus a major metropolitan area, but what did they expect?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1450728754|3964413 said:
Those poor snowflakes better never eat at a Taco Bell! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fast food chains are NOT microagressions.
They are macroagressions.

:lol:

I think Oberlin should serve these princes and princesses ethnically-authentic grubs.
Oh shit! SEE what I just did!?! :knockout: I just microagressed! ;(

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ummm General Tso’s chicken is an American dish, doesn't everyone know that?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I had to double check that this wasn't the Onion.

Seriously how do these kids walk through a mall food court?

Eta: I pictured that article being written by PC Principal from South Park. I hadn't heard the term "microagression" before watching the show. Who knew people actually talk like that?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh boy. :wall:

What I remember from my college cafeteria: On nights when they had fried chicken they would put a sign up depicting a chicken crossing the road. I am sure they thought it was cute. For us it just confirmed that the 'meat' in question was roadkill, as that is what it tasted like. So we snickered about it, and avoided the friend chicken in favor of the on thing that was safe to eat: cereal.

Bad dorm food is a right of passage.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Gypsy... Bad dorm food IS a right of passage. I recall seeing boxes being delivered to the dining commons that were labeled, "Grade F meat: suitable for dormitories and prisons". Ewwwww. I was already vegetarian, but I couldn't understand how other students could stomach eating the meat after seeing that. I have to assume it was pretty much just a step above dog food.

Also, if bad versions of ethnic dishes are a form of microagression, then most of the foreign hotels I've stayed at are serving up microagression in the form of their "American-style breakfast". The "American style" scrambled eggs I've seen in Europe and Asia are downright frightening.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We created these people. We continue to create more of them. We are the biggest bunch of whine baby pee pants people O-M-G it makes me want to scream.

Who was it I was going to create the Suck It Up Buttercup Brigade with? Cuz land *sakes* do we need it.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Karl_K said:
ummm General Tso’s chicken is an American dish, doesn't everyone know that?

You mean to say that Panda Express isn't authentic Chinese food!?!?! What's next??? Don't tell me that California rolls aren't a traditional Japanese delicacy...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1450744319.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We referred to the lamb curry our kitchen served up every month as "the green death." I doubt anyone actually from India would even recognize it as curry - but that's probably true of most "curry" dishes served in that era.

As for the Oberlin students... Meh. They're college students. Taking themselves way too seriously is part of the job description. Just as tsk-tsking their antics is part of ours. ;))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1450743993|3964516 said:
Who was it I was going to create the Suck It Up Buttercup Brigade with? Cuz land *sakes* do we need it.

I'll have one of those *sakes*! Authentic or not...!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the latest episode of 'Who Can be Offended by the Most Inoffensive Stuff'. :rolleyes:

Cafeteria's closed!

Get back to your studies!

cook_your_own_damn_dinner.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, banh mi really needs to be on the right kind of bread.......I agree with that part!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. When DD1 tried to list the dining hall as one of the reasons she wanted to move off campus, DH and I just looked at each other and laughed. I think we even explained t her how many of our classmates existed on cereal for four years.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dorm Breakfast of Champions!

Dorm Lunch of Champions!

Dorm Dinner of Champions!

001_top_ramen.png

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly, Kenny!

Unfortunately, it seems some people follow two steps in life:

Step 1: Be offended and outraged.

Step 2: Find something over which to be offended and outraged.

Rebels without a cause.

Passionate without a purpose.

Perhaps these individuals could turn their attention away from attacking yoga classes and cafeteria food, and learn about world events and history.

There are plenty of real issues in the world.

Just my opinion, of course.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Christ on a culturally appropriated, insensitive, inauthentic, politically incorrect and stale cracker!!!!

As a parent, I blame the parents for being overindulgent, spineless, afraid of their children, falling down on the job, refusing to set limits and eliminating the words No, Not, Wrong, Silly, Stupid and Rude from their dealings with their kids. Sometimes you just have to correct them.

I have a daughter who has spent her entire lifespan of culinary awareness in Mexico. (She's actually quite the gourmet, but that is the subject of another thread.) Once she's in the US, she'll know that Taco Bell sucks compared to the taco stand on the corner of her former street. However, if she wants real tacos al pastor, buy a plane ticket or warm up the spit and chop up the cilantro, onions and pineapple. Want esquites? Order epazote seeds on Amazon and get to work. Complain about an institutional kitchen? You go cook for 6000 kids and then get back to me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lioness|1450844330|3965153 said:
As a parent, I blame the parents for being overindulgent, spineless, afraid of their children, falling down on the job, refusing to set limits and eliminating the words No, Not, Wrong, Silly, Stupid and Rude from their dealings with their kids. Sometimes you just have to correct them.

My next door neighbors are that kind of parent and their three piece-of-shit kids are growing up thinking each is the only snowflake in all the winters. :knockout:

screen_shot_2015-12-22_at_8.png

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1450846664|3965171 said:
lioness|1450844330|3965153 said:

My next door neighbors are that kind of parent and their three piece-of-shit kids are growing up thinking each is the only snowflake in all the winters. :knockout:

They'll melt during their first forays into the workforce.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results