shape
carat
color
clarity

Obama to appear on Leno

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t throught this through (and I am sure there are all sorts of issues with it) but I like that he''s going to be on Leno. Candidates use these platforms all the time when they are running, so it would be interesting to see a sitting president actually going on a late night show.

How does it strike you?

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Obama is definately doing things differently than other presidents. I have seen lots of articles about how they White House staff is supposed to be on a more informal basis than past staffs.

As far as going on Leno, I think he is probably trying to ''sell'' his messages to the masses in a more effective way. I don''t watch Leno or really care for him. He should go on Craig Ferguson.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 2:51:57 PM
Author:TravelingGal
I haven''t throught this through (and I am sure there are all sorts of issues with it) but I like that he''s going to be on Leno. Candidates use these platforms all the time when they are running, so it would be interesting to see a sitting president actually going on a late night show.

How does it strike you?
Random. I''m okay with it, but I guess the prez has to tread the fine line of being seen as one of the people, and being taken seriously. Though I am sure that Leno is THRILLED! When is he going to be on? I want to hear his bracket picks for NCAA!
9.gif

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s a good idea...kind of a "Fireside Chat" for the younger generation. He shouldn''t be doing this all the time, but I think it''s interesting that he''s willing to do it. I''ve already got my boyfriend''s Tivo set, since I fall asleep too early.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, well my brother can''t go out to dinner with me this week. He''s in law enforcement and will be hanging out with Obama (actually his SS guys)...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree he should go on Craig Ferguson. I love Craig...especially during Shark Week.

But I''ll watch. Why not? I think it''s cool. And I wouldn''t be surprised if the WH staff is supposed to act more casual. Obama seems like a pretty laid back kind of dude.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm I don''t know how I feel about it...but I do know I wish he was going on Letterman instead! I think it''s fun/weird but also probably a good way to reach a different populace who doesn''t watch the news.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Is he actually going to studio? or is Leno going to White House?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was surprised to hear of this as I don''t think any prior president would even entertain this idea. Think of the security detail.
3.gif
On a serious note, would the people take him seriously if he presents his view on a late night show? Will it carry any clout or diminish the chair of the presidency?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bread and Circus
Takes your mind off the tax increases and inflation that are sure to come with all the spending going on bailing out the fat cats.
yeeehaaaah we can party like its 1979

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m beginning to think Obama stands for:

"Oops! Better Act Mad About" (AIG, etc etc etc).

The buck stops here guys!!!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 11:29:39 PM
Author: strmrdr
Bread and Circus
Takes your mind off the tax increases and inflation that are sure to come with all the spending going on bailing out the fat cats.
yeeehaaaah we can party like its 1979
we''ll see hyper inflation in 3 yrs.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i do enjoy watching leno from time to time but he is a comedian. i would not choose that venue if i were he (obama).

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I watched. I found him personable and likeable. He''s still a politician, but it''s nice to see him in less serious light sometimes.

I mean, the man bowls a 129!
23.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 1:26:31 AM
Author: trillionaire

23.gif
While the economy tumbles he bowls and hangs out with comedians.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 6:30:35 AM

23.gif

Somehow, I don't find this as bad as someone who jets off to Crawford whenever he feels like it. Hurricane Katrina? There are MUCH worse examples of how a president can spend his time during a crisis, and not from your favorite nemesis.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Towards the end of his the president talked about how he’s gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

He bowled a 129, the president said.

“That’s very good, Mr. President,” Leno said sarcastically.

It’s “like the Special Olympics or something,” the president said.

Oooph. Nice goin', Mr. President!

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly you decide to print a TRILLION dollars in the am then, heck why not go on Leno the same night?

He needs to stop acting like a celebrity.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I thought it was a great show. I''ve always liked Leno.

Obama came across as very personable and real. I don''t think just because he went on Leno, he''s not doing his job. Public opinion is key right now and this is all part of what I think is a smart strategy. I came away liking him more after the interview.

The one question I did think he avoided answering all together was the Leno''s question on taking the bonuses at 90% and how it seemed a bit scary that they could do that just because "they didn''t like the guy".

If anything, I liked that Jay Leno gets to go out in style this year with an unprecedented guest appearance by a sitting president. I watched a lot of Leno when he first took the show over (I was in college) and have always thought it was a hardworking, lovable guy.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 6:40:09 AM
Author: AllieGator

23.gif

Somehow, I don''t find this as bad as someone who jets off to Crawford whenever he feels like it. Hurricane Katrina? There are MUCH worse examples of how a president can spend his time during a crisis, and not from your favorite nemesis.
But...........BUSH!!!!!!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 7:00:57 AM
Author: beebrisk
Towards the end of his the president talked about how he’s gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley.

Oooph. Nice goin', Mr. President!
Yeah. Classy. Ever realize that when there isn't a teleprompter around he needs to put his foot in his mouth? First, the comment about Nancy Reagan while she was ill, and then this--just months after winning an election against someone who has a baby with Down's. Nice.

He already apologized, and I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it, but man he really needs to quit trying to be "Mr. Hip" all the time. It's getting him in trouble.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m still waiting for him to show one once of leadership ability.
saying the buck stops here doesn''t count.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 12:18:45 PM
Author: luckystar112

Date: 3/20/2009 7:00:57 AM
Author: beebrisk

Oooph. Nice goin'', Mr. President!
Yeah. Classy. Ever realize that when there isn''t a teleprompter around he needs to put his foot in his mouth? First, the comment about Nancy Reagan while she was ill, and then this--just months after winning an election against someone who has a baby with Down''s. Nice.

He already apologized, and I''m sure he didn''t mean anything by it, but man he really needs to quit trying to be ''Mr. Hip'' all the time. It''s getting him in trouble.
I don''t think it has anything with him trying to be "Mr. Hip." Just because a man becomes president, doesn''t make him a robot. Yes, you do have to be more careful and sensitive, but to me, that was a slip up just showing he''s a real person and real people actually do say things like that.

He''s only 60 days into his presidency. He has 4, possibly 8 years to get used to living life under the microscope. I for one hope that he doesn''t become one of those presidents who is always just saying the PC thing with no heart and soul behind it.

And being a "commoner" myself, I think it was cool that he admitted it was pretty cool to fly on Air Force One with that big grin. I mean, you gotta think, he''s must think to himself sometimes, "Wow, I''m president! This is pretty freaking cool!" It''s like when my brother became a cop - he came home telling me stories of how he''s all stern when in real life he''s such a doof and usually giggling to himself behind the scenes at how people see him. It doesn''t mean he wasn''t serious about his job, but it was just fun for him to be perceived in a certain way as cool and collected when somewhere in his heart, he was just a kid who thought it was so a to turn on the flashing lights on top of the cop car. It was endearing for me and while I know being the President of the US is 1000000 times more serious, I found Obama''s confession endearing too.

It''s not a bad thing for a president to humanize himself to a degree.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 12:36:18 PM
I'm still waiting for him to show one once of leadership ability.
saying the buck stops here doesn't count.

I bet Pres. Sarah Palin would have whipped this country into shape by now, making both sides happy as clams, you betcha'. What's it been, eight weeks?
2.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 12:45:39 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 3/20/2009 12:36:18 PM
I''m still waiting for him to show one once of leadership ability.
saying the buck stops here doesn''t count.

I bet Pres. Sarah Palin would have whipped this country into shape by now, making both sides happy as clams, you betcha''. What''s it been, eight weeks?
2.gif
I''m no Palin fan - but I don''t think she would have been any worse in the last 8 weeks. Surely she could print money and fill out a basketball bracket. Obama''s NCAA bracket actually looks very good. If only his ability to choose cabinet members had been as good as his ability to choose basketball teams . . .

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I agree it was a slip up, but one that was made in bad taste and that he should be held accountable for.
I certainly don''t think he needs to be a "robot", but I do hope he''ll think before he speaks in the future.
My referring to him as "Mr. Hip" is because sometimes I think he appears too relaxed, and perhaps forgets who he is, which is the President of the United States. And Bush being a disaster does not give Obama a free pass when he commits a faux pas. IMO!

Ebree, are you watching Paul Rudd on Ellen right now?
31.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 1:26:55 PM
Author: luckystar112
Ebree, are you watching Paul Rudd on Ellen right now?
31.gif

Oooh, Paul Rudd on Ellen? Thanks for the heads-up! I''ve got to leave, but I''m going to TiVo it now.
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I''m unimpressed. I''m annoyed. He''s not an entertainer; I don''t want him to crack wise with Leno.

I want his butt, in his seat, at his desk, in the Oval Office, reading every dadgum letter, comma, and period of that assine stimulus bill he was so intent on passing, so that he will finally KNOW what the heck is in it, and can claim full knowledge of what is in it, instead of looking for someone - anyone - else to throw under the bus because he''s been caught with his pants around his ankles.

It''s time for him to do his friggin'' job. His standup schtick is getting stale.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 6:40:09 AM
Author: AllieGator

23.gif

Somehow, I don''t find this as bad as someone who jets off to Crawford whenever he feels like it. Hurricane Katrina? There are MUCH worse examples of how a president can spend his time during a crisis, and not from your favorite nemesis.
We had a major ice storm that caused significant damage in the South this February. People were without power for weeks; federal assistance was needed -- and in some areas, still needed. Obama never acknowledged the difficulties there; certainly he never visited; and he sent no one in his stead.

But he flew back to Chicago on your dime to take Michelle to their ''favorite restaurant'' for Valentine''s Day.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 11:13:50 AM
Author: CrookedRock
Honestly you decide to print a TRILLION dollars in the am then, heck why not go on Leno the same night?

He needs to stop acting like a celebrity.
Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results