shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Virgins! Please help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Hey

DH and I head to the big pomme on the 28th November and we''re so excited!! We''ve never been and although we''ve been researching loads and have rough guides etc, recommendations from native New Yorkers or frequent visitors would be welcome. We''re staying in the Pod hotel on E 51st and 3rd. Its not fancy but its within budget and pretty central and for the time of year the only place with availability. As its our first time, we''ll be doing all the usual touristy stuff but I''m looking for some advice on where the best pizza is, dim sum, jewish cheesecake, burgers, cosmopolitans etc. Also, we want to grab a show but not sure which one is the best. Also, whether to view the skyline from the Empire State Building or Rockefeller Centre. We only have 5 days so we want to cram as much in as possible however I''m sure if we don''t, we''ll just have to go back
31.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 9:19:47 AM
Author:Po10472
Hey

DH and I head to the big pomme on the 28th November and we''re so excited!! We''ve never been and although we''ve been researching loads and have rough guides etc, recommendations from native New Yorkers or frequent visitors would be welcome. We''re staying in the Pod hotel on E 51st and 3rd. Its not fancy but its within budget and pretty central and for the time of year the only place with availability. As its our first time, we''ll be doing all the usual touristy stuff but I''m looking for some advice on where the best pizza is, dim sum, jewish cheesecake, burgers, cosmopolitans etc. Also, we want to grab a show but not sure which one is the best. Also, whether to view the skyline from the Empire State Building or Rockefeller Centre. We only have 5 days so we want to cram as much in as possible however I''m sure if we don''t, we''ll just have to go back
31.gif
Hi Po10472 - you will LOVE New York!
36.gif
Here''s a link to a previous thread which Jas12 had started since she was also traveling there recently. There are quite a few responses and recommendations posted (including some from me) New York Thread.

As far as shows, I would recommend Avenue Q, Wicked, Spamalot or Jersey Girl. You can also try seeing an off broadway show like Blue Man Group or Stomp...both very good!

View the skyline from the Empire State Building...it''s the tallest building in New York and definitely has the best 360 degree views of the city!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
oooh I fancy Stomp! forgot about shows like that. thanks for the tip!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
As a native New Yorker may I clarify that the cheesecake you seek is "New York style" cheesecake. To my knowledge, cheesecake has no religious affiliation and if someone asked me where to get "Jewish" cheesecake I'd think
33.gif
28.gif
That said, Junior's in Brooklyn is famous for their New York style cheesecake. Second Avenue Deli is to me, the most authentic Deli. If you can only do one, then the Empire State Building is the classic choice for both it's old school Art Deco exteriors and interiors (which are amazing) and it's classic views.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 10:49:27 AM
Author: surfgirl
As a native New Yorker may I clarify that the cheesecake you seek is ''New York style'' cheesecake. To my knowledge, cheesecake has no religious affiliation and if someone asked me where to get ''Jewish'' cheesecake I''d think
33.gif
28.gif
That said, Junior''s in Brooklyn is famous for their New York style cheesecake. Second Avenue Deli is to me, the most authentic Deli. If you can only do one, then the Empire State Building is the classic choice for both it''s old school Art Deco exteriors and interiors (which are amazing) and it''s classic views.

All true. AND if you don''t have the time to trek all the way to Brooklyn for cheesecake, Juniors also has a little restaurant/stand in Grand Central Station...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Po, for dim sum, try Ping''s on Mott St in Chinatown.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
the jewish deli where I live used to sell the most amazing cheesecake which is different to NY cheesecake......the place closed down and I''ve not been able to get that type of cheesecake since, so hopefully I can get something similiar in NY.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you go to view the store fronts, be very careful. FI and I went last year around the same time (maybe a week or two earlier) and it was a mob scene. I mean serious riot-like crowds. Be sure to hold hands/shirts/etc so you don''t get separated. Sounds like a fun trip though!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I was there in late September and loved it.

We did the Empire State and the views were amazing. I have vertigo and didn''t actually feel too bad up there.

Some of the good places I discovered:

FAO Schwartz - OMG what a toy store. FI and I were there for hours. Lifesize Hogwarts dragons, and a great cafe. The coke float we ordered (a small one) had what looked like an entire tub of ice-cream in it. How anyone stays slim I do not know!

Century 21 - I did rather too much shopping here.
31.gif

You guys have such amazing sushi - and about a third of the price it is here!

PS. I saw Avenue Q in London last year and thought it was great.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
I do believe the best pizza is in my ''hood (Lombardi''s, on Spring St).

My husband tells me the best burgers are at "Burger Joint", at Le Parker Meridien hotel, though I''ve always liked Island Burgers (51st and Ninth).

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
9 days to go and I''ll be in New York! so excited.

DH and I are huge fans of CSI:NY and Sex and The City and I know they film on location in the city, is there any sites that let you know when and where they are filming?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for shopping at Century 21 (on Cortland St. near the site of the WTC). I could LIVE in there.

For a fun cocktail experience after your Junior''s Cheesecake in Grand Central, visit the amazing period recreation Campbell Apartment. It''s IN the station...and was once the private offices of the station manager, a Mr. Cambpell, now restored to its 30''s(?) glory. You''ll probably need to ask someone in the station for directions, since it''s pretty hidden. If you get there around 4ish, you can get a table before it fills up with bankers grabbing a drink before starting their commute home to CT.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
so where is Century 21? I''ve had colleagues recommend this shoppers paradise as well as you kind folk.......I can hear my DH sighing behind me which indicates that he''s not looking forward to his valuable time standing around watching me shop.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Century 21 is on Cortland street, across from where the World Trade Center used to be. I''m sure they have a website. Google it!

Here''s a little tip: when you go there, tell your hubby it''s his time to do something else on his own. He will hate it there if he''s not a shopper. It is, well, kind of chaotic. You''ll both have more fun if you split up. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Also, go early in the morning on a weekday to avoid being swamped. And wear under things that aren''t too thongy since the change rooms are, uh, open concept (cough)... though of course women only!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Po! Here''s an early greeting..."welcome to NYC!" We are glad to have you.

If your hubby likes housewares, Century21 does have a large section of housewares. Haha...or maybe it''s just my FI that likes that stuff. I mean, it probably won''t keep him occupied long enough for you to finish shopping, but it''s something! Or he can shop for his own clothes. Lots of shoes, suits, shirts, accessories in the men''s dept. Here''s their website: http://www.c21stores.com/

I''ve also never heard of Jewish cheesecake. I have a lot of Jewish friends and none of them have ever said anything about Jewish cheesecake. I''m curious to know what makes it different from regular cheesecake? Maybe it is just called NY cheesecake here? You could try going to Carnegie deli on Seventh Avenue and 55th Street. It is a famous Jewish deli in NYC. The website mentions it being a Kosher deli, but I they''ve made me a meat sandwich with cheese on it, so I question the Kosher part. They seem to be known for their pastrami sandwiches and cheesecakes (doesn''t say it is a Jewish cheesecake though), so maybe that is close to what you are looking for. http://www.carnegiedeli.com/

I''ve been to the Burger Joint for burgers at the Le Parker Meridian and it''s kind of fun. I don''t think they''re the BEST burgers, but they are good and it''s just fun to go into a fancy hotel and find the neon sign pointing you to what feels like a different world hidden in the hotel.

I''m not a pizza connoisseur, but my faves are Koronet''s near Columbia University and Grimaldi''s in Broolyn. http://www.grimaldis.com/

I don''t know where the SATC movie or CSI film, but I do know there has been a LOT of filming lately near my hospital. They were filming Cashmere Mafia and I don''t know what else almost every day. This past week there hasn''t been any activity so maybe they are done. You could always take a chance and come up to 96th street and Madison Avenue just to see. There isn''t anything else up there to make it worth your effort though if they aren''t filming!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i do hope you report in after your trip!

movie zombie

Neveah

Shiny_Rock
If you go see a show make it WICKED. It is absolutely fantastic and a show that fiance liked as well (which, on broadway, are few and far between!) I think it appeals to everyone! Have a blast. New York is the best! We just went a couple months ago. I''m jealous!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I much prefer top of the rock to the empire state building-shorter queues and the staff are so helpful and friendly. I adored Century 21 also-D and I left with over 20 bags between us and had to get taxi. We thought that Spamalot was also brilliant-D is still raving about it. Just walk around and savour the city-it''s the best place in the world.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm ... okay, a few tips (perhaps dated) from a former NYC-er (15+yrs total).

KATZ'S DELI -- great lean pastrami, ok-ish cheesecake, potato pancakes w/applesauce, CelRay soda most famously appeared in "When Harry Met Sally" ... "I'll have what she's having"

OYSTER BAR -- inside Grand Central Station, down in the basement. If you stand in the opposite archways you can whisper to your companion from across the room. Once inside, try the creamy clam chowder right at the luncheon counters (not the fancy pub).

WALDORF ASTORIA -- lobby cafe for High Tea & harp-playing

BROOKLYN BRIDGE -- walk over it

CANAL STREET -- c'mon ... it's fun to see all the designer knock-offs in one place. no need to buy 'em ... but geez it's an eyeful.

UPRIGHT CITIZEN'S BRIGADE (UCB) theater or PEOPLE'S IMPROV THEATER (PIT) for cheap, live, edgy comedy any night of the week.

ETA: Normally I'd recommend the TKTS booth in Times Square for bargain price Broadway show tix ... but the stagehands union is currently on strike. Most of the big B-way shows are "dark" ... but TKTS may have some off-broadway tix still?? Also ... the eateries around Times Square are almost all having 1/2 off dinner specials to try to make up for the lack of biz during the Bway strike. Could be an inexpensive way to chow! If the strike is still on then, that is...

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
one of the places I wanted to visit was Serenipity 3 but just found it its been shut down because they found 100 live cockroaches and mice droppings in the place. very disappointed!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 2:50:47 AM
Author: bee*
I much prefer top of the rock to the empire state building-shorter queues and the staff are so helpful and friendly. I adored Century 21 also-D and I left with over 20 bags between us and had to get taxi. We thought that Spamalot was also brilliant-D is still raving about it. Just walk around and savour the city-it''s the best place in the world.
amen.....i spent a weekend in new york by myself in april, 1998. i walked and i walked.........didn''t see any shows, hung out in the Village, went to the Modern, took the 50 cent ride to Staten Island, had a bagel at Zabar''s, and walked, walked, walked.

now i''m married and keep telling hubby we need to go.......so this thread is timely as its motivating me! i remember walking by the brownstone houses and thinking it reminded me of somewhere...then i made the connection: Amsterdam! one of my fav cities in the world.....and appropriate as NYC was New Amsterdam a long while back.

movie zombie

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I love Amsterdam too, haven''t been for a while. I''ll need to check it out to see if it is indeed amsterdam-like.

I hope to bore you all with pics on my return, we''ve got enough memory cards for our camera to take about a 1000 pics.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
FYI - not sure if you''re aware but, Broadway is essentially on strike. The stagehands are the ones who walked off the job and have been trying to negotiate with owners and producers, but have had no success. About 25 productions are closed and no new talks have been scheduled as of yet. Theaters have had to refund tickets and restaurants in the area are virtually empty. Definitely keep this in mind if you are looking to see a show while you''re here.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not enough memory cards! trust me! but you''re in the big city so you can always buy another one!

NYC is amazing......the taste i got over a weekend left me wanting more. being a movie zombie, i cannont tell you how much it meant to me to be sitting at that arch in the Village after having seen it in so many movies. and the trip back from Staten Island just after sunset with the lights and the city skyline....just like a woody allen movie start. and i''m convinced new york pizza is the best..... can''t wait for your report back.

movie zombie

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I think you''ll love NYC... I do!

Remember when hailing a cab that if the light for the number in the center is lit, it''s available. if there is no light, the cab is in use. If the side lits that say "off duty" are on, good luck getting that guy to stop. Around 4pm they change shifts and it''s impossible to get a cab on the street in the mornings before 9am, and from 3:30-6:30pm... Take subways then, or buses.

As for window shopping I say start on Madison in the 80''s and walk down (stop in at Maison du Chocolat for a hot Chocolate!). Harriet, back me up on this one...

Around 60th, walk down Fifth Avenue, see the tree, St. Patrick''s, Sak''s windows are condoned off already. SEE Cartier!!! Their holiday display outside is just so perfect...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second all of Nicrez''s suggestions, not just the chocolate one. See also Bergdorf Goodman''s windows.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I say SEE Bergdorf! It''s just so tasty! Also, go downtown. Try a few restaurants in the Chelsea area, Lower East Side.

Actually, I walked literally from the Brooklyn Bridge (if you can walk that during sunrise or sunset), around the bottom end of the Island (as there is a walkway and park around the water''s edge) and it was just lovely. From there, I walked up the west side through China Town where there is this REALLY great seafod dive, but I can''t remember the name. Lines are nuts, but it''s worth it! and through Little Italy where I often stop at a cafe for Sambuca infused coffee or a little pastry dessert at Da Nico''s garden (winter it may be closed). Wall Street to me is always a fun little trek.

Actually just recently was told by my friend that those tour busses here in NY are great. Clearly I have never been, but honestly, I would do something that touristy because it might just prove fun with the right friends... but consider it, if you have extra time.

I am a huge museum buff, so to me the Met is an essential, as is the Guggenheim. Brunch at the Whitney is one of my favorite things to do on Sundays. There is a Sarabeth''s downstairs at the Whitney, and their brunch is close to perfect. If you like, there is also the Museum of Natural History, as well as the MoMa (The Modern is a cute place for drinks or bites!) and the Frick if you like French Impressionist paintings...

Of course if you walk down town, you have to see The Village. It''s so different from East to West but totally interesting! If you want to have some cheap eats, the East Village has one on each block including the home of the best falafel Mamoun''s... it''s a classic! Open at all hours there is ALWAYS a line, as well as the runner up just down the street, I think it''s called Yatagan...? It''s an excellent place for when every single restaurant is closed and it''s approaching 4am and you need good food to hit the spot! Good times....
31.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
right, so some of our plans are changing before we even get to New York, Broadway for one, ice-cream at Serendipity is another soooooooo we''re thinking that maybe Wintuk - cirque du soleil, if its any good is an option. Has anyone been or seen or heard any reviews?

Also, we''re hoping to visit the Parlour bar on west 86th street via central park - I''d like to see the fountain.....is this an ok way thro the park?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I ditto Nicrez''s plans (we must be twins!). There''s also a fabulous little soup stand on Bleeker Street that has the most awesome hot soups, a great quick pitstop in cold weather. Nicrez, do you know the name of that place? I think it''s on Bleeker bet. 5th & 6th?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results