shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Diamond District vs. Tiffanys (a personal experience)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sp/ke

Rough_Rock
Hi all- This is my first post here, but I''ve done some research on here as well as just using Google. First, full disclosure. I''m simply a consumer, no ties to the industry at all, and I''m shopping for a ring right now. It appears that there are *a lot* of posts regarding the NYC Diamond District and Tiffanys, so I thought I would just share my experience, in the hopes that others may benefit from it a little.
Diamond District Experience
Since me and my g-friend are in the beginning stages of looking, we were sorta window browsing and just looking at what was available. We both understand the 4-C''s (cut, color, clarity, carat), and I have a budget that I''m working with. She sorta knows that she''s looking for, so that''s a plus too. But like I said, we''re very new to this, and really in the beginning stages of looking.
The first thing that struck me in the DD was that stores had "barkers" - people enticing you to come into the store. I''ve seen these guys work other stores (adult, XXX, etc), so I have to admit I was a little put off by that. We went into ~10 stores, some with barkers, some without. As we were looking, the salespeople were all extremely pushy. At one store, I was told that "Today is a good day for business" and asked a couple of times that if a good price comes up "You buy today?" Also, in almost every single store, I was asked what my budget was, not what type of stone, cut, weight, I was looking for - just the dollar amount.
When we were shown something nice, it was invariably outside my price range (in the 2+ carat size). However, almost every single seller made it a point to almost, I don''t know quite how to say it, question my manhood for not being able to afford 25K for a ring. It was like "Well, your girlfriend really likes it, you should buy it for her, don''t you love her?" Nothing specific, just a vibe that I got. Also, as we were window shopping, we saw quite a few, I don''t want to use the word "ugly" but there were some rather unattractive stones in many of the windows. Not all, and we were shown some very nice pieces, but the percentage was skewed towards stones that didn''t SPARKLE and made you say "WOW". This even though we saw what should have been very nice stones (D color, SI1, no fluorescence, etc)
Overall, the feeling left a sour taste in my mouth, like the salespeople would not think twice about selling me a total piece of coal and smile while taking my money. I also did not care for the pushy antics nor the questioning my manhood or wallet. Like I said, it was just an overall feeling.
Tiffany’s Experience
We had to make an appointment for a consultation with a salesperson at Tiffanys. When we got there, my immediate initial reaction to the sale guy was that he was a bit snobbish – turned out I was wrong and he was very nice. We were shown quite a few rings, all within our price range, and never once was I made to feel like a less of a man because I couldn’t afford the 25K rings. At one point, we were looking at a 34K ring, and when I made a joking comment that we might have to take it down a bit, the sale guy responded with “Ooooh, yeah, that it is a bit steep.” Not anything major, just made me feel a little better. Secondly, the stones there simply SPARKLED. I honestly first thought they were fake they sparkled so much. When in the DD, whenever we looked at a stone, they would first blow it completely free of all dust/dirt/etc with a high pressure air hose. At Tiffanys he simply pulled it out of the display, sometimes he wiped it on a piece of felt, sometimes he didn’t. Either way, they were all very nice. Also, the color of the stones definitely were not D color (some H, etc), but they still looked really nice. This compared to some H VVS1 stones we saw at the DD which just lacked that incredible sparkle.
I’m just trying to share my experience with some other people, since there are a lot of posts on the DD and T&Co. Right now, I’m going to head back to the DD and see if I can find something nice and just give it a shot again. We’ll see how it goes the next time. Just another post in the great diamond buying experience.

synth19

Rough_Rock
Maybe the reason why the Tiffany diamonds sparkled more then the DD diamonds, was because the cut was alot better at Tiffany's even though the color/clarity was the same.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you were happy with Tiffany and if you end up buying from them you'll definitely have a lovely ring.

That said, be warned that Tiffany has very sophisticated lighting in their stores and though their stones are undeniably nice they may not be nicer than others you look at--they might just be better lit. Ideally you'd be able to compare a Tiffany and a non-Tiff diamond side-by-side, or Tiffany will allow you to take a ring out into the sunlight, but that's probably not going to happen.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a true Tiffany diamond was shown to you by one of the pushy jerks you probably wouldn't want it for 1/2 the Tiffany price.

The miserable salesmanship of some of the jewelry district retailers hurts their effort at making a sale. We all know it is a tough and competitive environment on 47th Street, but you can't welcome business by scaring people away with agressive tactics. It always has amazed me how so many people seem to love the hype and pressure of buying in the jewelry district in spite of the bad feeling I get about it. It just shows you how differently people can react to being pressured. Some folks, a whole lot of them, must love the challenge. I sure don't.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
When you go back, make an appointment with Chuek at David S.

Not at ALL pushy. He will give you whatever you want. Sarin report, Brilliance scope report, GIA. Hearts arrows view if you like. He even showed me a diamond that looked good to me and said he recommended against it because of some internal 'graininess' or something. Whatever it was, he said it would be a better stone for an earring even though i couldn't see the problem.

Not only are there no barkers, you need to make an appointment.

I highly recommend him.

theinquisitor

Rough_Rock
I enjoyed reading your story! Thank you for sharing your experience. My BF and I just got finished choosing a diamond from the diamond district, and we had some of the same experiences. I'll share a few tips, just for anyone out there who might want to try 47th St.

We're not patient people, so we just refused to enter any stores with barkers outside, and walked out of the store if anyone was rude or pushy. That was about 50% of the stores. The other 50%, however, had great salespeople who were very educative and took a lot of time with us. I learned a lot from them that I then confirmed on Pricescope.

We shopped one day together, and the next day I went alone. I definitely noticed a difference when I was shopping alone; maybe because they knew I wasn't the one paying for it, salespeople in general were less pushy. And when they asked my budget (often the first question), I just repeated the specs for the diamond and made them tell me the price. Definitely I got more respect when I walked into a store casually going over copies of GIA certs and business cards from other jewelers, and telling them EXACTLY what I wanted in terms of the four C's.

So to anyone wanting to go to 47th Street, I would say, number one, do some shopping together to get a mutual understanding of what you want, then send the bride-to-be to pick out a stone on her own (even if she's paying for some or all of it, she can pretend she's not!). Number two, educate yourself ahead of time and ask lots of questions, then flaunt your education! and Number three, shop around. I found my stone and a great salesperson at the last store I went to. (I'll give you the name if you're interested, and if that's even allowed on Pricescope!) That's my two cents!

sp/ke

Rough_Rock
Hi all-Thanks all for your responses. We are going to check out some of the places recommended in the DD, like David S.
Like some of you have said: education is key when shopping in the DD.
Incidentally, this is a really great forum - very responsive and active. Good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results