shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC Appraisal Rates

realtanu

Rough_Rock
How much are folks paying for appraisals? I was quoted $300/hr by someone who is recommended on this board quite often. This was also for a multi-piece job that would take 8 hours. This rate seems crazy high to me, even ignoring the fact it should be less for such a big bulk job. But maybe I'm in the minority.. :confused:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I paid about that in 2010-2011 when I went to the jewelry judge / Barry Block.

latte_espresso

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm also curious as I am looking for an appraiser in NYC for the diamond coming in soon.

Btw, how do you estimate how long it'll take for the diamond to be appraised?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much are folks paying for appraisals? I was quoted $300/hr by someone who is recommended on this board quite often. This was also for a multi-piece job that would take 8 hours. This rate seems crazy high to me, even ignoring the fact it should be less for such a big bulk job. But maybe I'm in the minority.. :confused:
That's not "crazy high" in 2018 for the usual kind of multi-page report produced by an independent appraiser like David Wolf in NYC, where office-commercial rents are appreciably higher than in, say, Sweet Water, Alabama. To give you some idea of context, according to a post here on PS in 2015, Barbara Nevius was charging $300/hour 3 years ago -- and she's in Red Bank, NJ; 14 years ago, a Manhattan appraiser on the list of appraisers then posted on PS charged $195/hour:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-it-too-late.18033/#post-263683

I wouldn't consider it a "fact that [an appraiser's hourly rate] should be less for such a big, bulk job" -- although I understand your wish for a discount ;)) It's not as if the appraiser is going to do less work than if you gave the items to him/her divvied up into 8 separate installments. But Barbara Nevius, a well credentialed appraiser in the NYC metro area (Manhasset, Long Island), with positive reviews here on PS and Yelp, says she gives a discounted hourly rate for multiple item appraisals; have no idea what her usual charge is, but perhaps you'd like to give her a call:
https://thejewelryappraiser.com/price-list/

P.S. If the appraisals are being done for probate/estate tax purposes, the cost is typically borne by the estate as a matter of probate administration.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm also curious as I am looking for an appraiser in NYC for the diamond coming in soon.
Btw, how do you estimate how long it'll take for the diamond to be appraised?
IIRC you're purchasing a diamond from the highly regarded High Performance Diamonds; if so, your sales receipt and other purchase paperwork constitutes ample documentation for insurance purposes -- if that's your reason for seeking out an appraiser.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Molly said exactly what I was going to say. I have never seen a need for another appraisal for diamonds graded by AGS or GIA purchased from respected vendors. GIA and AGS have already provided the impartial information on the diamond. I always used the sales receipt and diamond grading report for my insurance. Add the receipt for the setting if bought elsewhere.

latte_espresso

Rough_Rock
Premium
IIRC you're purchasing a diamond from the highly regarded High Performance Diamonds; if so, your sales receipt and other purchase paperwork constitutes ample documentation for insurance purposes -- if that's your reason for seeking out an appraiser.

Thanks. Understandably that it is a very reputable seller, I think it's just for the peace of mind that I am getting what I am paying for (especially given the material monetary amount). Just in case there may have been an accidental change in diamond or anything else.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. Understandably that it is a very reputable seller, I think it's just for the peace of mind that I am getting what I am paying for (especially given the material monetary amount). Just in case there may have been an accidental change in diamond or anything else.
Since you're wanting merely confirmation that the stone you paid for is the stone received -- i.e., not a full-blown appraisal "from scratch" -- let the appraiser know that when you contact them to ask about pricing. :))

latte_espresso

Rough_Rock
Premium
There should really be an option to private message another member here. I feel like I am hijacking this thread.

What are the different type of appraisals? What are the steps when they do it from scratch vs. a confirmation that stone is what I bought? In the latter scenario, do they simply compare the diamond to the report and see if it's accurate?

I reached out on Yelp, and someone quoted me $50 for an appraisal. Is it safe to assume that this would not be an appraisal from scratch?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results