shape
carat
color
clarity

Nutrisystem...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a good point re: level of participating njc...my dad is a huge extreme athlete type and he went on WW about 5 years ago to take off 5-7 lbs so he could be lighter on his bike and while running and he has kept it off by just watching his points. He says once you know the point system it''s alot easier to add things in your head and know where you stand. Maybe he went to one or two meetings but really he did it all himself and still does.

My other friend who lost the 50 lbs goes every week even though its been a few years since she''s had the weight off. Sometimes she goes less and sometimes she goes more. There are centers all over I guess and she has a ''favorite'' she goes to, so it also sounds like you don''t just have to go to ONE if you don''t like it there. Possibly different centers have different ways of motivating.

I saw an ad for Nutrisystem in the US weekly last nite and thought OH is this what everyone is talking about on the forum!! That had has been running for months, I''m tired of looking at the same lady when I flip the pages....hee hee. I guess this sytem is what Dora from the Joe Millionaire show was on?

Ame I''m not sure what you are thinking at this point but here are a few suggestions from me re: positive changes you can make IMMEDIATELY regardless of whether or not you go with this system. Start eating more fruits and veggies. Even if you eat larger portions, it''s healthier than chips or dip or something for a snack. Start walking, either by yourself or with your hubby. Even just a few blocks away from your house, getting out and doing something active will make you feel better and motivate you. I love the crisp air on my face when I walk in the evenings. If you drink lots of liquor, cut it out or cut it down to 1/2, aka instead of 2 beers a night, drink 1. Start at least THINKING about your portion sizes. Maybe you don''t want to do anything about it just yet but thinking about what you are putting in your mouth ends up being fairly interesting, not in a guilt way but a ''wow am I really eating this whole burrito'' way. You may find that you want to make more changes after watching more of your habits. If you snack during the day, start replacing your snacks with fruits or high grain type bars, I love the Kashi granola bars which are huge in fiber (bonus since you feel fuller) and still tasty and crunchy.

I really feel like if you just start to make a few changes it will get you going at least a bit..sometimes it is hard to just jumpstart from eating whatever you want to eating a strict small regimented meal every 5 hours or whatever, and I think that could be a recipe for disaster if you don''t make some other small lifestyle changes first. Just my thoughts!!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Mara - exactly, once you learn, you are able to continue it on your own. Its picking whatever method that works best for you to teach you what you should be doing.

I believe this was the article i read about frozen meals. http://diet.ivillage.com/issues/ichoices/0,,j4bb,00.html

Oh, and can i throw in a girlie tip/TMI? Dont start restricting/changing your diet right before your period. When i started WW the other week, i was really frustrated because i was having a hard time staying within my points and felt like i was starving to death. Now i admit, not everything i was eating was the best point value, but i couldnt eat cucumbers for days on end could i???? Anyways, now im having no problems at all. Im just one of those that craves food that time of the month and it just made it for a really frustrating start.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Njc- good point. My sister said it is important not to deprive herself. If she wants fries, she will eat some but order a small instead of a large. She says if she doesn''t "give in" than she because obsessed and gorges. Honestly I am so proud of her. She lost so much weight. This is the thinnest she has ever been (even in highschool). She is a comfort eater so I think she had to deal with that too. Eating doesn''t equal happiness kind of thing. It is totally doable. She said the first week she just cut out soda and lost 5 lbs. The good thing is if you have a lot of weight to lose it comes off so much easier (at first) it is the last 5-10 lbs that are so hard! She still wants to lose 5 lbs but I thinks she feels like she has the tools now. Keep in mind she never went to a meeting after the first so it is something you can do on your own.

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
Amy, the key for me is to have support. One of my girlfriends asked me to go to Weight Watchers with her starting last September and I thought, sure I can do this for Tom, but when I started dropping pounds and figured it out it was for me too I really became committed. So, if your hubby is willing to do whatever program you decide on together I think you''re half way there already!

I did try a do-it-yourself WW a few years ago. A friend of mine who was a member got me the books and explained all the points and stuff to me. I was great for the first month, but there was no accountability so I blew it pretty quickly. Tacori E-ring -- good for your friend for having the discipline to stick with it on her own!

And I''m with Blod -- I would rather poke my own eyeball out that go to a gym!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay- thanks, it is my sister. I think she got like Ame, at the end of her rope and knew that she was unhealthy. She was always tired and never had that much confidence in her body. I think when you get to that point all you need is a little shove in the right direction.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
WW, Jenny Craig and the others work for many different personalities, but I have found after nine pregnancies and being over 40 years old, good old fashioned exercise 3-4 times a week--mixing it up with cardio(dancing or step aerobics or cycling for me), treadmill, weight lifting 3 times a week--and watching and practicing strict portion control and a gallon of water a day, that is the key for me.

I find that if I get my water in--as close to a gallon as I can, and not in tea or juice, but actually water--I do better overall. I stagger the water so I do pretty well. The portion thing is vital. At home, I purposely use a smaller dinner plate for myself. Its more the size of a child''s dinner plate and a llittle bigger than a dessert plate. I also love a salad out of mixed spring greens 4 times a week. I try to have it with my lunch with 1/2 a sandwich on whole wheat or squaw bread and that holds me till dinner time.

My day is pretty full of errands, business stuff, etc., so I have to stay fueled or I mess up. I have at least one day during the week that gets crazy and I cheat a little. I try really hard to not get too hard on myself and just get back on track. On Friday, I was in San Diego for the day while my hubby worked at a client''s office. I had pulled a muscle the day before at the gym so he wanted me to chill at the jacuzzi at the gym. I showered and got ready there, then headed to Fashion Valley for people watching, a little shopping(with buying) and a healthy lunch of grilled salmon with steamed broccoli at The Cheesecake Factory. I couldn''t leave without taking a piece of cheesecake to go though. I ate what i felt like eating at lunch--about half--and boxed the rest for another meal. Didn''t even touch the cheesecake till Saturday and finished it Sunday. Did I cheat? Oh yea, but it was worth it!
emotion-5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori the sodas are the WORST....even diet still has tons of sugar in it and that is what just totally gets you, esp if you are not active. that''s like eating fat that goes straight to your BUTT. for me anyway....ehehe. i have about 2 cokes, the real things, not diet, per week and it''s water for me the rest of the time. otherwise i will totally get addicted to drinking the sweet sugary water and it doesn''t do me any good!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread.

Six years ago I lost 40 pounds (that had slowly crept up on me) and have kept it off since. I did it the "old fashioned way" - diet and exercise. I made it my mission to educate myself about nutrition and food, and I began to practice what I was learning.

Lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lots of fiber, lots of water... I am totally not into any "extremes". Personally, I don''t believe in going "on a diet" because inherent in that is the inevitable "going OFF the diet." Also, I am not into any gimmicks or fad diets or "special supplements". I think making a permanent lifestyle change is the only way to successfully keep the weight off. My main goal was/is to be strong, fit and healthy... losing the extra weight was really just a bonus.

I changed the way I cook (I swear by Cooking Light and Eating Well magazines). Eating healthy does not have to mean eating austerely. I LOVE to eat, and I insist on eating wonderful, delicious, healthful food.

I exercize for at least one half hour every day - sometimes before work (yes, it sounds grueling but then it is DONE for the day, come what may.) I also added some active sports to my list of hobbies, and take every opportunity to swim, water or cross-country ski, and (roller) blade.

I wish there was a magic pill, but there isn''t. It takes *work* to achieve health and fitness goals, but it is sooooo worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results