shape
carat
color
clarity

Now looking for some green stones

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this at the end of my other thread but I guess it got lost.

For my sapphire ring project, I'm looking at this Iolani setting by Sally (Etsy:Heart of Water) with some modifications.

But I'm now thinking of sidestones and I think green will look good with the blue of the Asscher (sample that Jeff White is trying to match for me). I'm leaning towards peridot because of the cost - I hadn't planned on sidestones and I want to keep the cost down. Peridots look really inexpensive in small sizes. But will the softness of peridot work against it?

Also how does sourcing sidestones usually work?. The center stone will be 5mm so I'm thinking the sidestones can be no more than 3mm.My gut is telling me to let Sally source the stones but I want a little control over the color.

Sorry to bug with so many questions but there is so much to consider! Thanks in advance.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I haven't worked with Sally, but normally custom jewelers can source stones, and you can give her pictures. You might also want to consider tsavorites with a similar tone and saturation as your sapphire. I think these will end up looking more rich than peridots.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks pregcurious. I guess I have to wait and see what Sally has. The tsavorites I've seen look gorgeous; just a bit concerned about the price. The sidestones will have to be a miniscule part of the total budget.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My Iolani setting has white zircon accents. I liked using a colorless stone with high RI just to add an extra bit of sparkle.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought nice demantoids from gemdesignstoneon ebay. Thaigemstore now has brilliant cut tsavorites, 2.4, 2.5 etc sizes, auctioned, very cheap. I always confuse Thaigemvillage and Thaigemstore, one of them has been criticized here but things have been going better since then I heard...

Also, I always check GemSelect for small inexpensive stones. They have tons.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks jstarfieryb and crasru!

jstarfieryb, is this your Iolani ring? http://www.etsy.com/transaction/35851559 It was the ring that drew me to this setting.

crasru, thanks so much for the links. Thaigemstore has lots of small stones! It seems to get the really small pears you have to buy them in bulk bags. They do have pairs of the square stones but I don't like them as much.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
how close your sapph will be to that color, and what it might look like in real life could be different though. With that said though, I think a 'green apple' color would look nice against the blue that shows up on my screen. best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results