shape
carat
color
clarity

NOW I''m confused!!! Experts???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carey

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been enjoying PS for a couple of years now. Thinking that when I EVER get to shop for my ring (when the kids are out of college! - it''s coming!) I''d look for an AGS 0 RB no matter what, simply for performance. I can''t see up close for beans, so I could go to SI2, and I love flour, so I''d be happy down to a ''J''. HowEVER I was at the mall (eeks, the MALL!) and Long''s Jewelers had a 3 stone ring in their window and I went in to check the size of the center stone, as it looked pretty perfect to me. It was 2.3, and it was like a disco ball shooting sparks of rainbow light in every direction. More than pretty much any ''mall ring'' I''d ever seen, or even in Lux, Bond, Alpha Omega or Shreve''s. I assumed it was an ASG - but NO! It was EGL. E-G-L!!! Now, would someone explain to me what the point is of spending the extra $$ on an ASG would be if I could get at stone like this for much less (whole ring was $28,000 with sidestones of about .6 each, color of all was F).

I''m not one easily amazed by diamonds... I love them, but ONLY if they are ''good performers''. I was under the impression that EGL didn''t get the ''good'' ones.... How could this be????

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Carey. I'm not an expert, but here's what I know.

It's entirely possible that an EGL diamond was nice. The thing about EGL is that they have historically been less strict than AGS and GIA with respect to color and clarity, so the certification commands a discount relative to AGS and GIA stones. You may was to read this article in the tutorial about Pricing & Labs.

Also, I can state the obvious - lights in the jewelry store are intended to make diamonds scream. The question is, will the diamond perform as well in other lighting conditions.

It's entirely possible, but to be sure, ask to see the cert, write down the table and depth percentages, the crown and pavilion angles, the girdle thickness, and culet info, and run the numbers through the HCA tool. That will tell you if it's just the lights or if the diamond is really decent.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i''m sure you took into account the jewelry store lighting variable.... but the bottom line is, if you see a diamond that you LOVE and you have done your research ahead of time and know what you are getting, there is no reason not to buy it.
2.gif
everyone''s priorities are different.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2006 8:58:42 AM
Author:Carey
color of all was F).

I''m not one easily amazed by diamonds... I love them, but ONLY if they are ''good performers''. I was under the impression that EGL didn''t get the ''good'' ones.... How could this be????

It is not at all unusual for EGL to get a well cut stone, what would be unusual would be if the stone was actually an F... EGL has a reputation for overgrading color. They claim to have been tightening up, but how will you know if it is accurate or not?

Still, if the stone speaks to you and you are willing to spend the money, it is the look and your pleasure that is far more important than the money. Chances are you could do better with spending the time and the effort to look at some more stones with better pedegrees, but it is your decision about how to spend your time.

Hmmm, I am trying to say that pleasantly but am not sure it reads that way. Please read a pleasant tone to my "voice".

Wink

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 8:58:42 AM
Author:Carey
I've been enjoying PS for a couple of years now. Thinking that when I EVER get to shop for my ring (when the kids are out of college! - it's coming!) I'd look for an AGS 0 RB no matter what, simply for performance. I can't see up close for beans, so I could go to SI2, and I love flour, so I'd be happy down to a 'J'. HowEVER I was at the mall (eeks, the MALL!) and Long's Jewelers had a 3 stone ring in their window and I went in to check the size of the center stone, as it looked pretty perfect to me. It was 2.3, and it was like a disco ball shooting sparks of rainbow light in every direction. More than pretty much any 'mall ring' I'd ever seen, or even in Lux, Bond, Alpha Omega or Shreve's. I assumed it was an ASG - but NO! It was EGL. E-G-L!!! Now, would someone explain to me what the point is of spending the extra $$ on an ASG would be if I could get at stone like this for much less (whole ring was $28,000 with sidestones of about .6 each, color of all was F).

I'm not one easily amazed by diamonds... I love them, but ONLY if they are 'good performers'. I was under the impression that EGL didn't get the 'good' ones.... How could this be????
unfortunately, mall stores have a bad reputation on this site. I have quite a few stones from mall stores, and yes, they are good perfomers. just have to weed out the bad performers and bad salespeople.

as far as EGL is concerned measurements are measurements. millimeters and angles are millimeters and angles. doesn't matter which lab does them. I agree that IGI and EGL might be off on color and clarity

the stones in my avatar are from helzberg.

Carey

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to say ''THANK YOU'' to you guys for filling me in. A second inspection wasn''t as ''wow''erful! S''ok... I''m still in the ''shopping'' mode. And I DID read a ''pleasant tone'' in your response!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
shopping is the fun part!
28.gif

it sounds like you have some time, which benefits you the most. see as many diamonds as you can so that you can get a real ''feel'' of what you want.
happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results