color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1407457087|3728217 said:
Hi Missy!

Sounds like you are feeling better with less pain with each passing day! I am so happy for you!

Glad to hear the good news about your mother and your friend - nothing as uplifting as good news about those we love.

Hope your progress continues and I'm sure it will. I know it's still a long trek but you've come SO far - hang in there!!

Hi MissGotRocks, thank you! My pain has lessened considerably and right now I am just taking Tylenol as needed and hoping to not have to take the Oxycodone. I have this weird scratchy discomfort thing almost 24/7 with the boot on but we are trying different socks to see if that helps. The other uncomfortable sensation is a sharp sticking feeling that comes and goes and may or may not be the plates.

By far the worse of the pain now is just whenever I remove my leg from its elevated position and place it vertically. It feels like a vice cutting off my ankle so you can imagine moving anywhere with the walker is quite unpleasant. That's why I am not keen on walking vs being in the wheelchair when I go out. It is too painful. I really hope this diminishes in the near future but according to the doctor it might persist for a long while. I am not clear as to the reason but I am thinking it has to do with 1. not being able to put any weight on the leg so the blood just rushes down to the lower leg and foot and causes pain and 2. damage to the soft tissue that is still healing. My thoughts anyway as the doctor didn't say and I am not sure why I didn't ask him.

But all in all quite a difference from 6 weeks ago. Today is the 6 week anniversary of my accident. One anniversary I am not pleased to remember or celebrate lol. But I am celebrating being that much closer to being better! One month since the surgery and 4 more to go (as per doctor re walking but weight bearing begins in another 2 months hopefully woohoo)...

And it is a huge relief about my mom and my girlfriend. No matter how challenging a situation it can always be worse (as long as you aren't dead that is) and with those 2 health concerns on my mind I was stressed even more. I feel like some of the weight has been lifted and I can go back to concentrating on healing.

:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1407459186|3728234 said:
Hi Missy. How are you doing this evening? It sounds like you had a busy day.

That is good AmEx caught the fraudulent charges on your cards and stopped them for you. Marty’s work credit card had fraudulent charges in Brazil a few months ago and his card company issued him a new card. He hadn’t been to Brazil for almost a year either. It is nice they watch out for their customers. The reason I think Verizon was also concerned about the bill is because the extra charges were listed online as due now. Marty’s data usage on roaming really adds up quickly and once the bill reaches $666 dollars they start emailing us to pay the bill. They must have a cut off where they ask for payment. I agree it’s nice they make sure something isn’t going on with your phone or credit cards.

Trust me I’ve been there on parents being stubborn and not asking for help. They want to do it for themselves but so hopefully they will consider getting some help. That is awesome your mom might not need surgery. Good news indeed.

How wonderful your PT session went well today.

You are welcome for any help or suggestions I can give. I wish I could do MORE!

Woo Hoo for your friend getting cancer free results from her pathology tests. I am excited for her.

That would be my luck running in to someone I didn’t want to see. Hopefully just seeing you and having a short visit is enough.

One more day until the weekend. :appl:

Take care.
Marcy

Good morning Marcy! How are you today? I had to LOL when I read the $666 amount for Verizon to begin wanting payment. I wonder how they came up with that number haha. We actually have that amount of shares in our co-op and I always thought it a funny number of shares to have. But then again we have a black cat and till recently we have usually enjoyed good luck so I am looking at this year as an anomaly and hopefully not to be repeated!

I didn't have PT yesterday but am having it today. Hoping my therapist got approval for next week too but if not I know the exercises and can do them mostly on my own. I just cannot manipulate my ankle the way he does but I will do the best I can. I forgot (and had little time anyway) to call my insurance company yesterday so will try to remember that when they open this morning to see if I can help the process along.

It sounds like Marty gets to travel to some exotic places for work and I hope he will be getting back from his business trip soon and that in the meantime you are enjoying some quality time with friends and some quiet time just to enjoy the peace. :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Now I really did it :(

Hi Missy, So happy to hear the news about your mom and your girlfriend. In sure you do feel as though a large weight has been lifted. Nothing makes you feel as helpless as when those we care about are going thru a serious health condition. A very close friend of mine went thru breast cancer surgery. It's been 4 years and she is still cancer free! Hers was also caught early. I'm so happy for both you and your friend.

You could not have asked for a better outcome for your mom under the circumstances. Your family must be so relieved! Now all you have to do is make sure she is following the doctors orders.

How nice that were able to get out for a bit yesterday. Even though it seems like you were very uncomfortable it had to feel good to get some fresh air and a change if scenery. Are you paying for it today pain wise? I can't believe you have been able to manage your pain with just Tylenol. That's amazing. I thought for sure you would be on the stronger pain meds for quite awhile.

Don't feel too bad not inviting the woman in your neighborhood over. I really think she probably understands that with everything you have been through your really not up to having visitors. It's not like she is one of your closest friends.

I also agree with you when you say things could always be worse. I went thru a really bad time when I was younger and I cringe whenever I hear someone say things couldn't get any worse. I remember people telling me that and thinking it when I was going thru that time. And then everything got a whole lot worse! I really believe what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I have absolutely no Idea what I would use for my housewives tagline. I have to think about that one. What would yours be? The sales associate at the jewelry store I purchased my last ring from used to tease me that I looked like I could be one the Beverly Hills or New York show. It really freaked me out a little. I didn't take it as a complement even though the girl said it was. She kept saying you look like one, you don't act like one. It still freaked me out.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy -

I'm glad the pain is getting better. And even though it's painful, it's good to get out sometimes, even if you do run into someone you'd rather not. A change of scene is important. And I understand how a wheelchair can be uncomfortable. I spent the first 6 weeks in one, and then slowly became weight-bearing on the repaired ankle over the next few weeks using a single crutch.

You have to be patient and you have to be flexible in your thinking as well as your ankle. Once I was able to start weight-bearing, I was glad to be able to get around without the wheelchair. I had a week of 25% of my weigh using one crutch, then went up to 50%, then 75% and then no crutch. Then I got quite good at tromping around in the boot. When it came off, I somehow had it in my head that I'd be able to do the same amount of walking without the boot. Instead, I had to take it much more slowly, shorter distances, and make sure to elevate and ice when I was done because my ankle would really swell and become uncomfortable. Knowing how far to push yoursself and when to hold back is kind of an art. You only make progress when you push, but you can't push too hard or you'll set yourself back. I learned mostly by trial and error, and the importance of establishing increments.

I'm really glad to hear about your mom and friend. It helps to get things off your worry list. Have a good weekend.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I am good today. Thanks! How are you? Did you get some sleep?

That is funny you bought 666 shares in your coop. I have no idea why Verizon has that limit but that is about where they start calling and emailing us to pay our bill. Probably a limit came about when people started getting bills for thousands of dollars for their kids running up bills for texting too much. I hope you don’t repeat the last year but trust me I am right there with you. I’d rather not repeat this year myself.

I am sure you’ll be able to move your ankle more every time you do therapy. How did you’re the session with your PT go today? I hope they arranged some sessions for you next week too.

Marty has been some unusual places. I made up a silly like map with a title “Where in the world is Marty” and put little stars on it when he goes somewhere. Of course, I am easily amused.

I bet you are glad the weekend is here. You’ll have Greg home for a few days.

How is your mom doing? How is your dad holding up?

Have a great weekend.
Marcy

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope this finds you much better! If I still lived in Aberdeen I would have come visited you in an instant! DH worked for Bell Labs back in the day. We transferred to Chicago in 1985. I so miss the shore!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Now I really did it :(

Calliecake|1407520145|3728657 said:
Hi Missy, So happy to hear the news about your mom and your girlfriend. In sure you do feel as though a large weight has been lifted. Nothing makes you feel as helpless as when those we care about are going thru a serious health condition. A very close friend of mine went thru breast cancer surgery. It's been 4 years and she is still cancer free! Hers was also caught early. I'm so happy for both you and your friend.

You could not have asked for a better outcome for your mom under the circumstances. Your family must be so relieved! Now all you have to do is make sure she is following the doctors orders.

How nice that were able to get out for a bit yesterday. Even though it seems like you were very uncomfortable it had to feel good to get some fresh air and a change if scenery. Are you paying for it today pain wise? I can't believe you have been able to manage your pain with just Tylenol. That's amazing. I thought for sure you would be on the stronger pain meds for quite awhile.

Don't feel too bad not inviting the woman in your neighborhood over. I really think she probably understands that with everything you have been through your really not up to having visitors. It's not like she is one of your closest friends.

I also agree with you when you say things could always be worse. I went thru a really bad time when I was younger and I cringe whenever I hear someone say things couldn't get any worse. I remember people telling me that and thinking it when I was going thru that time. And then everything got a whole lot worse! I really believe what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I have absolutely no Idea what I would use for my housewives tagline. I have to think about that one. What would yours be? The sales associate at the jewelry store I purchased my last ring from used to tease me that I looked like I could be one the Beverly Hills or New York show. It really freaked me out a little. I didn't take it as a complement even though the girl said it was. She kept saying you look like one, you don't act like one. It still freaked me out.

Hi Callie, I'm glad your friend is still cancer free and doing well.

Yesterday was OK and PT went smoothly but by the evening I started feeling unwell. Exhausted to an extreme and the shooting pains in my heel and foot started. I got into bed at 8PM but couldn't fall asleep till 11 but I just couldn't sit up anymore. This must be how it feels to be 100 but at this point I would be happy to make it to 75 lol.

I still have the shooting pain and that's what woke me and I really hope I didn't hurt anything i.e. ruin the surgeon's work. Hopefully this is normal healing pain. I took Tylenol last night and this AM around 4 but might have to take Oxy. I'm waiting because it never gives me that much relief anyway and I am not sure it will be worth it.

LOL on the compliment about looking like one of the RHOBH. I would take it as a compliment because she did say you look like a RH, not that you act like one. But I could see where that might not amuse you given the crazy that is synonymous with those Real Housewives. Still I know she meant it as a compliment!

Hmmm tag line, that's tough. Before this year I might have come up with something different. However dealing with what I have been going through most of 2014 I might say:

I'm sweet and kind but don't let that fool you. I'm smart and tough too and I won't let hardships define me or change who I am.

Or perhaps my tagline would be borrowed from Jane Austen:

I am sensible and clever but eager in everything. My sorrows and joys have no moderation.

:halo:

Your turn Callie... :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1407524242|3728708 said:
Missy -

I'm glad the pain is getting better. And even though it's painful, it's good to get out sometimes, even if you do run into someone you'd rather not. A change of scene is important. And I understand how a wheelchair can be uncomfortable. I spent the first 6 weeks in one, and then slowly became weight-bearing on the repaired ankle over the next few weeks using a single crutch.

You have to be patient and you have to be flexible in your thinking as well as your ankle. Once I was able to start weight-bearing, I was glad to be able to get around without the wheelchair. I had a week of 25% of my weigh using one crutch, then went up to 50%, then 75% and then no crutch. Then I got quite good at tromping around in the boot. When it came off, I somehow had it in my head that I'd be able to do the same amount of walking without the boot. Instead, I had to take it much more slowly, shorter distances, and make sure to elevate and ice when I was done because my ankle would really swell and become uncomfortable. Knowing how far to push yoursself and when to hold back is kind of an art. You only make progress when you push, but you can't push too hard or you'll set yourself back. I learned mostly by trial and error, and the importance of establishing increments.

I'm really glad to hear about your mom and friend. It helps to get things off your worry list. Have a good weekend.

Thank you rainwood. I have another 8 weeks or so to go before I can start any weight bearing activity so I am going to have to make peace with the wheelchair. And perhaps I will try the walker outside as well hopping along. But safety first and the streets in our neighborhood are all broken up so I will have to be super careful no question. I have no doubt I am going to work as hard as I can and my only limiting factor will be the pain. But I will deal with that too. It's the only choice.

I wonder if I would benefit from icing my ankle? My doctor never mentioned this. Once I become more active perhaps this would help me too? Especially if I start going outside using the walker.

Thanks so much for sharing your hard earned advice. I am taking it to heart and learning from your experience. I know patience is important and I am learning this virtue day by day.

Have a good weekend too. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
!

marcy|1407550931|3728932 said:
Hi Missy,

I am good today. Thanks! How are you? Did you get some sleep?

That is funny you bought 666 shares in your coop. I have no idea why Verizon has that limit but that is about where they start calling and emailing us to pay our bill. Probably a limit came about when people started getting bills for thousands of dollars for their kids running up bills for texting too much. I hope you don’t repeat the last year but trust me I am right there with you. I’d rather not repeat this year myself.

I am sure you’ll be able to move your ankle more every time you do therapy. How did you’re the session with your PT go today? I hope they arranged some sessions for you next week too.

Marty has been some unusual places. I made up a silly like map with a title “Where in the world is Marty” and put little stars on it when he goes somewhere. Of course, I am easily amused.

I bet you are glad the weekend is here. You’ll have Greg home for a few days.

How is your mom doing? How is your dad holding up?

Have a great weekend.
Marcy

Haha, I am easily amused too Marcy. Yet another thing we have in common. Love the “Where in the world is Marty” Map. Haha, that's great.
:bigsmile: I also laugh at my own jokes. Any chance you do that as well? :cheeky:

PT went well though sleep went a bit less well. That's OK. Tonight is another chance!

Mom and dad are doing OK. I speak to my mom a few times a day and she is managing her pain with meds and keeping her spirits up. Thanks for asking.

Yes, I am glad the weekend is here and I hope you enjoy yours too. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1407551679|3728937 said:
Hope this finds you much better! If I still lived in Aberdeen I would have come visited you in an instant! DH worked for Bell Labs back in the day. We transferred to Chicago in 1985. I so miss the shore!

Thanks AprilBaby! How are you doing? Is your recovery going smoothly I hope? I was thrilled to read how well you were doing immediately after surgery. You go girl!

We haven't been to our beach house since the weekend of the accident though as soon as I feel able to deal with stairs we will go there and spend some time. Not sure how far into the future that will be but I am taking it one day at a time. However if you were back in Aberdeen I would make it a priority to get to our beach house. :wavey:

My BIL and SIL live in Chicago. Love that town. Do you ever get to Lake Michigan? They vacation there and really enjoy it. I guess it's the closest thing to the jersey shore around there...

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy!

Icing feels so good, especially after PT. I bought this packet of what looks like mud at Walgreens, you can keep it in the freezer or nuke it in the microwave per directions. What is good about it is that it is pliable/moldable to wherever you put it. Bags of frozen peas are good that way too. Use a tea towel on the skin to avoid damage to skin when it's super cold, you remove that as time passes and the cold pack isn't as cold.

If you avoided the incisions and sutures I would think it would be fine; call the PA at the surgeon's office to be sure though.

If .you aren't taking the narcotics on a given day, you can try the Xanax or Ativan for help with sleep and anxiety. Either one, ask for 0.5 mg tablets, try one tablet. If one tablet is not enough (in 20 minutes) then take another for a total dose of 1 mg. Conversely, if you felt 0.5 mg was too much, you would break it in half the next time for a dose of 0.25 mg.

These tablets come scored in halves, you save money by getting one increment up and then taking the half tablet (it doubles the amount of tablets you have). It also allows you to customize your dose---0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1 mg).

I vary between 0.5 and 1 mg. On 0.5 I am fully functional for all ADLs. At 1 mg, I don't drive. One big difference between Xanax or Ativan and say Valium is that valium is discoordinating so dangerous for you. Not the case with Xanax or Ativan.

Generic Xanax, the most reliable is by Greenstone, call around to see who has it or will get it in for you. Ativan, I had no preference.

Hang in there!!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1407586015|3729104 said:

Thanks AprilBaby! How are you doing? Is your recovery going smoothly I hope? I was thrilled to read how well you were doing immediately after surgery. You go girl!

We haven't been to our beach house since the weekend of the accident though as soon as I feel able to deal with stairs we will go there and spend some time. Not sure how far into the future that will be but I am taking it one day at a time. However if you were back in Aberdeen I would make it a priority to get to our beach house. :wavey:

My BIL and SIL live in Chicago. Love that town. Do you ever get to Lake Michigan? They vacation there and really enjoy it. I guess it's the closest thing to the jersey shore around there...

I haven't been to NJ in years! If i do, I'm taking you up on the beach house visit! I never go to Lake Michigan on the Illinois side, too icky. The closest thing to the shore is Michigan Dunes. Holland, Michigan is my favorite place to get a beach fix.
I went back to work this week, two weeks after my surgery, unheard of! I'm eight weeks ahead of schedule and haven't felt so good in years! Hope you recover quickly too!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1407620130|3729343 said:
Hi Missy!

Icing feels so good, especially after PT. I bought this packet of what looks like mud at Walgreens, you can keep it in the freezer or nuke it in the microwave per directions. What is good about it is that it is pliable/moldable to wherever you put it. Bags of frozen peas are good that way too. Use a tea towel on the skin to avoid damage to skin when it's super cold, you remove that as time passes and the cold pack isn't as cold.

If you avoided the incisions and sutures I would think it would be fine; call the PA at the surgeon's office to be sure though.

If .you aren't taking the narcotics on a given day, you can try the Xanax or Ativan for help with sleep and anxiety. Either one, ask for 0.5 mg tablets, try one tablet. If one tablet is not enough (in 20 minutes) then take another for a total dose of 1 mg. Conversely, if you felt 0.5 mg was too much, you would break it in half the next time for a dose of 0.25 mg.

These tablets come scored in halves, you save money by getting one increment up and then taking the half tablet (it doubles the amount of tablets you have). It also allows you to customize your dose---0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1 mg).

I vary between 0.5 and 1 mg. On 0.5 I am fully functional for all ADLs. At 1 mg, I don't drive. One big difference between Xanax or Ativan and say Valium is that valium is discoordinating so dangerous for you. Not the case with Xanax or Ativan.

Generic Xanax, the most reliable is by Greenstone, call around to see who has it or will get it in for you. Ativan, I had no preference.

Hang in there!!!!

Thanks azstonie! I will call the PA Monday and ask him if I can ice the ankle because it would be nice to get some relief. My dh is telling me I should just ice it now haha. He is so confident even though he is not in the medical field LOL.

I haven't taken Oxy for the last few days but not sure I need Ativan/Xanax right now. Though if it helped me get some more sleep that would be dreamy. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1407622353|3729362 said:
missy|1407586015|3729104 said:

I haven't been to NJ in years! If i do, I'm taking you up on the beach house visit! I never go to Lake Michigan on the Illinois side, too icky. The closest thing to the shore is Michigan Dunes. Holland, Michigan is my favorite place to get a beach fix.
I went back to work this week, two weeks after my surgery, unheard of! I'm eight weeks ahead of schedule and haven't felt so good in years! Hope you recover quickly too!

OMG AprilBaby! That is super news! :appl: :appl: :appl: So happy for you! And you so deserve it after having this surgery twice. Make sure you take it easy at work though. Slow and steady and all that jazz.

And you are definitely invited to come to our beach house whenever you come back this way. Just give me some notice and I will make it happen!

Azstonie, you are invited too! Rehab party! :appl:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Missy, just popping in to say I have been following and so glad you're on the mend. You are also one of the most gracious humans I think I ever...ummm met? read? Being in so much discomfort and taking the time to reply to everyone and thinking of them so obviously...well, I am a fan-girl. Okay, to be clear, just a friendly one, not the weird stalkerish type. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1407626784|3729391 said:
Missy, just popping in to say I have been following and so glad you're on the mend. You are also one of the most gracious humans I think I ever...ummm met? read? Being in so much discomfort and taking the time to reply to everyone and thinking of them so obviously...well, I am a fan-girl. Okay, to be clear, just a friendly one, not the weird stalkerish type. :wavey:

Awww moneymeister, that is so lovely of you to say and too kind but I appreciate that, thank you. And thank you for all your well wishes. It might sound crazy but I really feel all the good thoughts and vibes and it all helps. (((Hugs))).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I do have fun with my “where in the world is Marty map”. Yes, I laugh at my own jokes too. I figure as long as I amuse myself that’s all that matters. It is a good thing for both of us that we can always find something to laugh at or amuse ourselves.

Glad to hear your PT went well and hopefully that elusive sleep with come easily to you tonight.

That is wonderful news your mom is keeping her spirits up and that the pain meds are helping her.

I see where azstonie recommended trying some ice on your ankle. I have some of those frozen gel packs that are very pliable to use and they work great. You have to put a towel under them so they don’t freeze anything but I sure like them. I bought mine at Walgreens.

I rented “The Other Woman” today. It was actually pretty funny. I planned on running some errands but ended up watching movies all day. I at least walked over to the mailbox.

Enjoy your Sunday! :wavey:

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1407642918|3729537 said:
Hi Missy,

I do have fun with my “where in the world is Marty map”. Yes, I laugh at my own jokes too. I figure as long as I amuse myself that’s all that matters. It is a good thing for both of us that we can always find something to laugh at or amuse ourselves.

Glad to hear your PT went well and hopefully that elusive sleep with come easily to you tonight.

That is wonderful news your mom is keeping her spirits up and that the pain meds are helping her.

I see where azstonie recommended trying some ice on your ankle. I have some of those frozen gel packs that are very pliable to use and they work great. You have to put a towel under them so they don’t freeze anything but I sure like them. I bought mine at Walgreens.

I rented “The Other Woman” today. It was actually pretty funny. I planned on running some errands but ended up watching movies all day. I at least walked over to the mailbox.

Enjoy your Sunday! :wavey:

Marcy

Haha yes I can easily amuse myself and enjoy my own jokes. ;))

I slept decently last night so very pleased about that. I woke at 4:30 AM this morning but only woke up once before that at 1AM and then was able to fall back asleep till 4:30 so definitely an improvement. Hope you slept well too.

I never heard of that movie The Other Woman but we haven't been going to the theaters recently even before I broke my leg. I will check it out as I am in a movie/tv rut these days and not in the mood to watch anything for whatever reason. It is hard to keep my mind interested in much these days. Glad you enjoyed it and are keeping yourself occupied happily while Marty is away.

Yesterday we took a stroll/wheel in the park and went to the Farmer's Market near us. That wheelchair is so darn hot though because the back and seat is vinyl so we are going to have to figure something out. Anyway during our stroll/wheel we also said hi to a former schoolmate of Greg's from Catholic school many years back. He brings his produce and flowers to the Farmer's Market by us on Saturdays from his farm near Bordentown NJ.

We had a nice chat with him and he insisted on giving us a few beautiful bouquet of flowers (really gorgeous) and 8 ears of corn. All grown on his farm. It was very generous of him. We also had a chat about his motorcycle accident from a few years ago. He was able to walk on his fractured leg with an air cast immediately because it was a small spiral fracture. But he did say he felt claustrophobic when he had to wear it. I totally get that feeling for sure. Anyway he is happy to be over that and hopefully my day will come too!

I am glad you and azstonie did well with the ice packs and I am looking forward to trying them. Just want the OK of the PA though probably it is just fine. Maybe I am being too conservative and should just do it. I mean as long as I don't put the ice directly on my incisions or my skin I should be OK.

Have a great Sunday Marcy and as always thanks for the drop by and chat. :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I haven't been around much. Life is pretty crazy right now and I've been trying to not chat with people when I am in a sad funk because it sounds pretty tedious even to me :nono:

Glad you are feeling so much better than you had been! Life really does seem much less miserable if you can get sleep and even get out of the house for a little bit :))

I remember Grandma had a blanket on her wheelchair. Not a crocheted thing like I've seen in movies. I guess that was uncomfortable. She liked a soft blanket that cushioned the chair a bit and put something between her and the vinyl.

Anyway...
Hope you keep improving and can get back to your active lifestyle soon!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1407685915|3729679 said:
Sorry I haven't been around much. Life is pretty crazy right now and I've been trying to not chat with people when I am in a sad funk because it sounds pretty tedious even to me :nono:

Glad you are feeling so much better than you had been! Life really does seem much less miserable if you can get sleep and even get out of the house for a little bit :))

I remember Grandma had a blanket on her wheelchair. Not a crocheted thing like I've seen in movies. I guess that was uncomfortable. She liked a soft blanket that cushioned the chair a bit and put something between her and the vinyl.

Anyway...
Hope you keep improving and can get back to your active lifestyle soon!

Hey there TooPatient, I'm so sorry that your life is a bit crazy these days and you are feeling down. :(( I wish there was something I could do to cheer you up. Sending you lots of (((hugs))) and happy vibes and hope things settle down soon.

I just got back from a short wheelchair ride with Greg and then right after that a short walker expedition down the block and back. I'm exhausted and a sweaty mess lol but I am going to try walking (actually hopping) with the walker a few minutes every day increasing the time as I am able. It's just difficult because as soon as I take my foot from its elevated position it starts feeling like a vice is choking it and it turns purple. :shock:

Anyway, thank you for checking in with me TooPatient and I hope you start feeling better very soon!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm so glad you were able to go to the park yesterday. I'm sure it made you feel better to get out with Greg for a few hours. It sounds like the chat you had with Greg's friend was good for you as well. Just keep telling yourself that this too shall pass. You'll be back to your life again soon, doing everything you enjoy. Look at how far you've come this past month. :appl:

How has your mom been feeling the past few days. Are you feeling better about her situation or still pretty worried about her. I know it's has to be hard for you because you can't keep an eye in her now. Is your sister able to visit your parents often? I know she's pretty busy with her girls.

I loved your real housewives tag lines. I still have no idea what mine would be. The first one you listed would definitely work for me with the exception of being smart :angel: I feel as though my life has changed a lot in the past year. I feel I got a lot of my identity from working. Which is pretty sad now that I'm not working. It seems all I have done this summer is work in the yard and shop!
My nieces, sister In law and I are planning to stay downtown Chicago soon. Shopping on Michigan Avenue is always fun. Do you want me to do any boot shopping for you?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I hope you and Greg are out doing something fun for your birthday! Have a wonderful day Sweetie!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farmers Market, FUN!!! Glad you two are getting out more than to doctors appointments.

O.MG. "Claustrophobia." I was claustrophobic in my immobilizer at night. I didn't want to tell this was part of my insomnia after my injury. didn't want your head to go in that direction. Glad you aren't having this 8-)

I would ice too, just not on your incisions, use bags of frozen peas and tea towel. Not more than 20 minutes at a shot.

The Xanax or Ativan will allow you to sleep and then awaken without being hungover or fuzzy/foggy. It will also help you after appointments if you are anxious or upset.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rehab party, yeah baby, I'm there. I make a great chocolate chip Kahlua cake, I'll bring that!

I wonder how many of us here have had a major injury/rehab, a good number probably, then factor in those who were the caregivers.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy. Happy Birthday!

I am delighted to hear you slept pretty well last night. I slept okay. I woke up about 4:30 and got back to sleep about 5. Then I got up a little after 6:30.

How nice that you and Greg went out yesterday for a stroll / wheel. Just getting some fresh air is nice when you’ve been in the house. I wonder if they have some kind of wheelchair covers made out of a cooler fabric? Vinyl can sure get hot and sticky. It sounds like Greg’s friend sent home a lot of goodies for you. It is nice to hear so many recovery stories. I am glad he recovered from his motorcycle accident. Yes, your day will come when you can look back on this and give encouragement to someone just beginning his or her recovery journey. Too bad getting there you can only be reached one day at a time.

I can certainly understand having difficulty focusing on movies or books. I had that problem a lot this past year. Concentrating will probably get easier for you over the next few months. The Other Woman was about a lady who finds out her boyfriend is married and eventually teams up with his wife to get even with him. It was kind of silly but had some amusing parts in it. I tried to watch American Hustle today but couldn’t get in to it. I really liked the recent Clint Eastwood movie that I watched yesterday. I think it was called “Follow the Curve”. It was really good.

I have a quote I saved from somewhere that says “blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused”. I thought that was kind of cute and certainly pertains to me.

I got to talk to Marty on FaceTime today for about 20 minutes. I was so excited. He had a nice time touring London yesterday.

Take care.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1407693504|3729713 said:
Hi Missy, I'm so glad you were able to go to the park yesterday. I'm sure it made you feel better to get out with Greg for a few hours. It sounds like the chat you had with Greg's friend was good for you as well. Just keep telling yourself that this too shall pass. You'll be back to your life again soon, doing everything you enjoy. Look at how far you've come this past month. :appl:

How has your mom been feeling the past few days. Are you feeling better about her situation or still pretty worried about her. I know it's has to be hard for you because you can't keep an eye in her now. Is your sister able to visit your parents often? I know she's pretty busy with her girls.

I loved your real housewives tag lines. I still have no idea what mine would be. The first one you listed would definitely work for me with the exception of being smart :angel: I feel as though my life has changed a lot in the past year. I feel I got a lot of my identity from working. Which is pretty sad now that I'm not working. It seems all I have done this summer is work in the yard and shop!
My nieces, sister In law and I are planning to stay downtown Chicago soon. Shopping on Michigan Avenue is always fun. Do you want me to do any boot shopping for you?

Thank you for the offer Callie but I will have to wait on the boot shopping right now. I need to see where I end up ankle swelling and foot size wise. Please enjoy your time with your nieces and SIL and enjoy the shopping for me too!

I wish I could help you realize (though I am sure you know this deep down and intellectually) that you are much more than what you used to do as your occupation and well, from my viewpoint a pretty terrific individual that has so much to offer. I understand though that any major life change (good or bad) is traumatic and it takes time to adapt. I wish for you the best adaptation possible and that you realize what an amazing woman you are and that the best time in your life is right now. (((Hugs))).

Thank you for asking about my mom. She is doing as well as can be expected and seeing the PA at HSS tomorrow for more X-rays so hopefully we will know more and get good news. Fingers crossed! I will have to make sure to ask them about the family discount LOL.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1407714279|3729865 said:
Hi Missy. Happy Birthday!

I am delighted to hear you slept pretty well last night. I slept okay. I woke up about 4:30 and got back to sleep about 5. Then I got up a little after 6:30.

How nice that you and Greg went out yesterday for a stroll / wheel. Just getting some fresh air is nice when you’ve been in the house. I wonder if they have some kind of wheelchair covers made out of a cooler fabric? Vinyl can sure get hot and sticky. It sounds like Greg’s friend sent home a lot of goodies for you. It is nice to hear so many recovery stories. I am glad he recovered from his motorcycle accident. Yes, your day will come when you can look back on this and give encouragement to someone just beginning his or her recovery journey. Too bad getting there you can only be reached one day at a time.

I can certainly understand having difficulty focusing on movies or books. I had that problem a lot this past year. Concentrating will probably get easier for you over the next few months. The Other Woman was about a lady who finds out her boyfriend is married and eventually teams up with his wife to get even with him. It was kind of silly but had some amusing parts in it. I tried to watch American Hustle today but couldn’t get in to it. I really liked the recent Clint Eastwood movie that I watched yesterday. I think it was called “Follow the Curve”. It was really good.

I have a quote I saved from somewhere that says “blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused”. I thought that was kind of cute and certainly pertains to me.

I got to talk to Marty on FaceTime today for about 20 minutes. I was so excited. He had a nice time touring London yesterday.

Take care.
Marcy

Thank you Marcy! I had a quiet birthday but that's OK. I know there will be better birthdays with better health to come.

Ooh Marty is in London. I love London. I hope he is getting some shopping in there for you! :appl: Glad you got to speak to him for a nice long time!

I saw the movie American Hustle in the theaters and I thought it was good but I really enjoyed the fashion the most in that movie. I love style from all the decades and that one certainly had a lot to offer haha. Thanks for the synopsis on the The Other Woman. Going to check it out.

I love that quote "blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused” and it applies to me too. Glad we can maintain our humorous perspective on life despite all the curve balls it can throw us. It's the only way to maintain our sanity. :halo: And maintaining my sanity is a bit of a challenge this year so I have to keep my sense of humor about things. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1407708883|3729804 said:
Farmers Market, FUN!!! Glad you two are getting out more than to doctors appointments.

O.MG. "Claustrophobia." I was claustrophobic in my immobilizer at night. I didn't want to tell this was part of my insomnia after my injury. didn't want your head to go in that direction. Glad you aren't having this 8-)

I would ice too, just not on your incisions, use bags of frozen peas and tea towel. Not more than 20 minutes at a shot.

The Xanax or Ativan will allow you to sleep and then awaken without being hungover or fuzzy/foggy. It will also help you after appointments if you are anxious or upset.

Hi azstonie, I tried icing yesterday and it felt soothing. I am definitely having major swelling and I figured it cannot hurt. Thanks for the advice as always!

I do get some of that claustrophobic feeling with the boot on but not too badly. Mostly it's just so darn heavy and uncomfortable to sleep with and I wish I could be free of it at night but I guess no sense in wishing for what cannot be. I just have to deal with and make the best of it.

azstonie said:
Rehab party, yeah baby, I'm there. I make a great chocolate chip Kahlua cake, I'll bring that!

I wonder how many of us here have had a major injury/rehab, a good number probably, then factor in those who were the caregivers.

Ooh, Chocolate chip Kahlua cake. Don't tease me girl! I need some of that!!! Between DF and you I am drinking and eating bad things before 8:30 AM haha. Looking forward to the day we can have that rehab party at my beach house! :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Thank you very much for your kind words. :angel: How was your birthday? Were you able to get out at all yesterday?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callie, yes we took a short wheel/ride in the neighborhood where the trees provided some shade. Then we went back to the apartment and I got my walker and took a short walk/hop down the block because my PT and Greg want me to start walking (hopping is what it is actually LOL) more.

I am happy to get more exercise in by using the walker vs the wheelchair (I don't care for the wheelchair at all honestly but appreciate that it allows me to get outside) but for the intense pain when I place my leg vertically albeit not touching the ground. I guess the blood rushing down causes the purple color and throbbing pain and I cannot imagine that is good for my leg...however I plan on using the walker a bit each day for some exercise that way. When weather permits outside and when not in the hallway of my building. As long as Greg or a friend is around to be there with me while I do it that is...

On another note here is a video of darling Kato (Barney if we adopt him)...I wish he could find a loving home. Greg would adopt him now as we had a long conversation yesterday but I don't feel good about it as I know he is not 100% enthusiastic about it and as rainwood so wisely pointed out anything but 100% is too much to undertake at this point. I mean, Greg is doing absolutely everything. The household chores, the cleaning, the cooking, the laundry, the shopping and taking care of the kitties and me. I need help with even the basics like showering still. Plus his full time job which can be stressful and there you have it.

So if he was excited about it but right now I don't feel that is the case. Even though the rescue person said we could just foster him and see what happens Greg is right. I don't foresee if we foster him I could just give him back. That's not me yanno? If Kato had found a good home this could be off my mind but as it is no one is even offering to foster him. So I am conflicted and frustrated because he needs a loving and safe family and if the timing was (were?) different...plus he still is recovering from his broken leg so during the day while he could sit on my lap he needs to be crated if I get up and go to the restroom or get a drink. And I cannot pick any of the kitties up while I am using the walker so I am still pretty helpless that way.

Video of darling Kato!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_J0EuBg5U&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, sorry for the tangent and for the vent. I hope you had a great weekend and thank you again for the birthday wishes Callie!!! You are such a dear!

Next year is the big 50 and I am hoping I am in good shape because I am having a big celebration. Even if it is just my dh and I which is really the way I prefer it. As long as we are both healthy any future birthdays will be great birthdays. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results