shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice needs help! Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magicmike1969

Rough_Rock
Hi... I am torn between two diamonds: 1.01 D, SI2 or a 1.05 G, S1. The are both square and the smaller one has a depth of 62%. Both Princess cut, but the larger stone has a cert. from I.G.L.. The smaller one is not certed. Any advice you give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ask to get the smaller stone sent to GIA or AGS. There is no way that you should take their word for its being a D or an SI2. Also, I have never heard of IGL. GIA and AGS are the most reputable labs; EGL is also well known and highly regarded, although some of their certificates, especially those done in Israel, have been known to be less strict than the two former labs. IGI is the lab you see in most mall stores, and is used to impress people who obviously aren't jewelry shopping savvy anyway. Beyond that, there must be a reason why the store did not bother to take the time to spend a relatively small amount of money to provide their consumers with verification of their claims. D color diamonds carry a large premium. What if it's really E or F or lower and you're paying extra money for their unverified claim?

You've asked before about the depth. Does it "sparkle" as much as the other stone? Does it look dull and lifeless? If it's still performing well, another plus is that it will appear larger for its size.

Also, can you see the inclusions with your naked eye?

magicmike1969

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. They both claim to be eyeclean, so I guess it is preference. Will there be a huge noticeable difference between a D and G color? Thanks again!!!

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
I just bought an H color & had it set as a solitaire in platinum. It looks white. Can't see any hint of yellow. If I had iit set in yellow gold, then it probably would reflect some of the yellow and appear more tinted. I would avoid the colorless stones (DEF) and stay in the GH range (possibly even I also). I just think DEF don't deliver enough of a difference than the GH to be worth it. Use that money to bump up the clarity or overall cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results