shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice need help to evaluate a small stone

alefrenz

Rough_Rock
Dear all,
this is my first post after registration and this is also the first diamond i bought in my life.
I need to admit that i bought it blindly for a "good price" without paying to much attention of what i was buying and without knowing anything about diamonds!

In the last days, waiting for the diamond to be delivered, i start to go a bit deeper regarding the 4C's symmetry, light performance, H&A, etc...

Now, i would like to know how you evaluate this small diamond and if i should expect some bad/good surprise...the HCA score is 1.4
here the GIA report and few photos sent by the dealer
http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6235666821

Thanks in advance for your precious contribute!
Regards
ale

afc675-1a5-arrows-01.png

afc675-1a5-aset_white-01.png

afc675-1a5-hearts-01.png

afc675-1a5-idealscope-01.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Showing a little bit of leakage under the table but not really sure if it will be noticable in real life. With this size stone you could
have gone with a VS2 and not been able to see inclusions...what do you plan on doing with the stone?

alefrenz

Rough_Rock
It will be a Christmas gift...no idea what she will do...I guess a ring. Regarding the clarity I paid 350 usd for this vvs1 and the difference with vs1 was 20 usd only...
What it make me think is the color of the arrows under the table...why in all the other images I saw are almost black and mine are more red...is this bad?
As you said, the stone is so small that I my not notice the difference :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center does show leakage which is why the images are so valuable. You want the center to be red and have little to no white or black in the center, depending on the background color.

This is what you are aiming for:

idealscope_amp_3.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a small stone so it probably won't matter, but in the event you ever buy another diamond, I am going to post some guidelines for you. Even using the guidelines, the ASET and idealscope images are great to confirm light return.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

alefrenz

Rough_Rock
Thank you both of you
It seems i bought a piece of glass instead of a diamond :) i hope it will shine a bit

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please do not let the postings discourage you - it will be a beautiful stone and yes, it will shine. PS tends to fancy the stones in the top 1% range, but to be honest one does not always need top 1%. Your stone has high color, high clarity with HCA 1.4 it will be within top 5% cutwise. I see no reason at all to be discouraged. And, quite honestly , for usd 350, I think you did well. Do not forget that quite a few members here are rather focused on big rocks. If I would be spending thouthands of dollars, I would also do the legwork required. But I would not necessarily search an absolut perfection in a well priced 0.23ct stone.

alefrenz

Rough_Rock
I feel better now!
Even if is a small diamond i quite like the perfection! That's why i decided for D color and VVS clarity (i did not manage to find flawless clarity in dubai for such a small stone...it was already painful to find a "decent" D ahahahah)...
I will buy something bigger in 2017 (when i will decide to move to the next level with my girlfriend)...for that occasion, considering a carat weight between 1 and 1.5, i will keep in mind your precious recommendations...and if you think the price i paid was good i will remain with the same dealer

Thanks again to all of you
ale

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alefrenz|1481167021|4105535 said:
Thank you both of you
It seems i bought a piece of glass instead of a diamond :) i hope it will shine a bit

Why such an extreme interpretation?

Remember the most important aspect to a stone is the Cut...color and clarity (within reason) take a back seat to cut.
The one you have selected is by no means bad (but it could be better).

I think this purchase was a good intro to the diamond world...use the info that DiamondSeeker provided when you go
for the 1-1.5 carat in 2017 and you'll be way a head of the game. Remember Cut first then color/clarity...

Lots of good information on Pricescope...you can use the pulldown menus to learn more about diamonds or just stick around
and read a few post... Come back when you're ready for the next one...we'll be happy to help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results