shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice Fire ''s Diamond with Serin report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
The offer is for 9k. That includes this center stone plus 2 1/4 ct diamonds on the side set in platinum.

Seems like this may be a good deal. I plugged the numbers into the HCA calculator and got good results. Please help me evaluate:
Gia Cert
Round brilliant
7.19- 7.24 X 4.57 mm
1.50 carat
debth 63.3%
table 56%
girdle slighly thick to thick
no cutlet
VG polish
Good symmetry
Clarity VS2
Color H
No Fluorescence
no comments
---------------------------
Now over the phone, the jewlers gave me some measurement from the serin report. He said it was done by AGS and scored a 3 out of scales of 0 thru 10.
also,
Crown Angle 35.2 degrees and 16.0%
Pavilion Angel 40.5 Degrees and 42.5%
cutlet 1.1%
AGS came in with table of 54% and Debth of 63.3%.

Help me evaluate. Can one of those Ideal scopes worth with these numbers??
------------------------------------------

Also, Can and should I request a copy of this serin report. secondly, how do I know this will be the diamond I see on paper? Im really worried about this!

Is there any advice that someone can give me as to being safe about making a diamond purchase at a retail store??

Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The HCA results for both table at 54 OR table at 56 are .8 TIC EX EX EX G. The G means that the depth of this stone is a little steep and you will lose a bit of the carat weight in there, as others have told you in past posts, I believe. But for this price you are doing okay. The other results mean that this stone should be a knockout where it counts. I would be sure you have a good return policy window so that when you purchase, you can take the stone to an independent appraiser (such as Dave Atlas, Rich Sherwood, Rock Doc etc) and have them check it out for you to be sure all is as it should be.

To compare a little, the diameter of this stone is around a 1.40c because of the loss of the weight in the depth. So it will look more like a 1.40c than a 1.50c. There is a 1.35c I VS2 on NiceIce's site, HCA 1.0 EX EX EX VG, Ideal H&A etc...for $6500. It is an I vs an H, but its one color jump and a little less ctw. Anyhow, may want to use this when you negotiate your final price on the ring. $9k for a ring & stone that is essentially a 1.40c sounds like it may be a little steep? I would try to negotiate around $8500 as the final with all the setting components, side stones, etc. That assumes a cost of around $7500 for the stone, and $1000 for the setting and side stones.

Good luck!!

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara:

Yes, the HCA showed favorable results for this diamond. My biggest concern is that the jeweler told me the serin report from AGS rated this diamond at a 3 on the cut class.

Why would this be a 3? Is a 3 a poor cut? I do understand the debth issue, and honestly I okay with this.

But Im just wondering why this is coming in as an AGS 3??

Thanks !

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS rates stones on a scale from 0-10 I believe. AGS 0 being the 'ideal' of course...but not all AGS 0 stones are 'ideal' in that they may have dimensions that when put together don't work to the best advantage of the stone. AGS 1 are pretty hot as well. IT always really depends on the stone, but from 2-10...it's a barrel of apples and you are bobbing for the best one. My stone is an AGS 7. I think it's pretty darn hot looking. It's a 7 because the crown angle is very shallow. That is the one designation that throws it into the AGS 7 range. My table is large, thats was graded an AGS 5. How AGS rates stones is that if your stone scores 0 on the culet, 0 on the table, 0 on the pav angle, 0, 0, etc etc..and then 3 on the depth, then the entire stone is rated an AGS 3. This could be the case with your stone. The depth could be pushing it into an AGS 3 range, or maybe it's a combo of the depth and the thick girdle. You'd have to see the Sarin to find out, or ask the vendor what is causing the AGS 3 grading.

Anyway bottom line is I would not freak out just because's an AGS 3 or discount it from the running. If you are okay with the loss of ctw in the depth, then the HCA says it should be pretty darn good and the other numbers sound pretty solid. It has a nice crown angle and an excellent pavilion angle. The other dimensions look pretty good. In person, this will probably be a pretty beautiful stone. So if you are okay with the loss of the ctw in the depth, and the AGS 3 grading, I'd buy it...and get it independently appraised right away to be sure you got what you paid for.

And negotiate the $500 off
2.gif
Good luck!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi N.F. The reason why the diamond is getting an AGS 3 cut grade is because of the girdle thickness.

The price is quite good.

The POSSIBLE light return analysis came in with the following stats, and a POSSIBLE simulated IdealScope image follows. As Mara pointed out, the diameter is a touch small (comparable to a 1.40) because of the depth, but all in all not a bad stone for the money.

Light Return Mono…….....Very Good 0.97
Light Return Stereo……….Very Good to Good 0.94
(Non) Leakage Mono……...Very Good to Good 0.92
(Non) Leakage Stereo…….Very Good to Good 0.93
Contrast………….......…....Very Good 1.02
(Non) Fisheye Effect……..Very Good 1.00

-----------
IdealScope- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The image shown has perfect symmetry, which is rare, and the star facet/lower girdle facet lengths may vary from your diamond. The computer simulation is reproduced best when the actual diamond is being viewed and the image "tweaked" to the appearance of the diamond, or when the Sarin data is downloaded directly into the program. However, this "blind" reproduction should be helpful in indicating the major light performance aspects.
-----------

1.50 RBC ISII- N.F..jpg

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
If the girdle thickness is in average thick, it gets an AGS3... Otherwise it would be an AGS0 proportions...
Probably not Cut 000 because of the 'Very Good/Good', though. As Rich and myself have suggested, sounds like a very nice stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results