shape
carat
color
clarity

NOVICE Clairity Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaman_ca

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the amateur question. Does the clairity rating pertain only to what you can/can not see through the table or from any angle? Just to clairify, if looking at the diamond from the side there is a visible inclusion, but looking from the top (ie. at the table) it is not really noticable. Is this diamond classified as I or SI in this case?

Thanks.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It generally means as the diamond appears in the face up position. It is possible to see inclusions in some VS2's in the upside down position, especially in larger stones. Your question is not stupid but rather a very good one jaman.

Peace,
Rhino

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds are generally graded from a "face up" position through the table and through the crown. Many people think that they shouldn't be able to see inclusions within a diamond when they examine it from a side view, but inclusions are often visible from this vantage point even in diamonds of higher clarity... This is because diamonds are not faceted to hide inclusions from the side, but rather to reflect light back up through the top of the stone.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Guys, I agree with everything you say except for one thing. Diamond are graded by GIA and AGS from EVERY angle.
Why do you think they have a plot from the pavilion side?
They use special diamond holders that clamp the diamond table to culet and are fixed to the microscope and they rotate the diamond looking at the crown and then the pavilion. They also use a wet fine paint brush everywhere they are looking. They use 15 power and when they find an inclusion, they reduce the poser to 10x. If they still see the inclusion, it gets plotted. They are graded from every angle. Not once but three times.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I like to look at inclusions under 40x magnification for
identification purpose only...for grading 10x is the norm.

Trichrome.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DB...do the other labs (EGL, IGI etc) do this as well? I wasn't aware that GIA and AGS did this--quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results