shape
carat
color
clarity

November Birthstone??? Too many choices!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Friend gave birth to lovely baby girl on the 19th of November, and taking a page out of Monnie''s book I want to get her a gemstone (she has everything else by now).

So I googled.

And there doesn''t seem to be a consensus on this. Some say Topaz. Some say Citrine. Others say if the baby is born before the 20th it''s Beryl.

So um. What do I buy?
33.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Considering it''s my birthstone as well, I have only known it only to be traditionally an Imperial Topaz.

But since that is the most rare of all Topaz, and is not cheap, Citrine, with a similar looking color was introduced. Certainly more affordable.

As for Beryl, that''s a new one to me...
33.gif
Maybe it has to do with Astrological signs, since the cutoff for Sagittarius and Scoprio are within that range?
33.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Nicrez! I''ve seen some lovely topaz... that isn''t quite imperial but still lovely. I''ll probably pick one of those up for her.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 8:10:42 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I love the golden color of citrine. Set properly, they are wonderful for autumn wear :D Mixed with smokey topaz would be beautiful.
SDL...Ohhhhhh....smokey topaz is so fun! I have seen a necklace with big emerald cut Smoky tpoazes and citrines... Great colors for fall....
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Franziska-- thank you for that link, I''ll have to browse there somemore!

Can someone tell me the difference between smokey QUARTZ and smokey TOPAZ?

I just purchased a smokey Quartz (coming in the mail) it should be really lovely. And it was really affordable. I would totally love to give her the loose smokey Quartz and a loose Citrine for a pendant combo or something. I think that would be lovely.

I was also thinking about a lovely baby bangle instead. Does Tiffany have one?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2007 11:52:50 AM
Author: Gypsy

They are different minerals.

Citrine, Amethyst, Peridot, Smokey are all Quartz

Topaz is a different mineral known by that name. i.e. Quartz, Topaz, Garnet, Sapphire etc.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s what I thought, but wanted to check. Thanks Pyramid!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy you are such a sweet friend! I think I am going to go with citrine in YG (for my november baby). What is a good vendor to look at for gemstones?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TACORI!!! YOU had your BABY!!!!

Where''s the thread? What a beautiful Av!!! OMG! How did I miss this?

Citrine vendor??? I''d contract Jeff White, Rick Martin, Wink, or ACstones!!!

YAY!!!!!! Link me??? Please???

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 6:23:05 PM
TACORI!!! YOU had your BABY!!!!

Where''s the thread? What a beautiful Av!!! OMG! How did I miss this?

Citrine vendor??? I''d contract Jeff White, Rick Martin, Wink, or ACstones!!!

YAY!!!!!! Link me??? Please???

I did! She was born on 11/3 7lbs 2oz, 20" long. I have a few photos in the preggo thread (plus her birth story. Don''t want to do that again anytime soon!) She doesn''t have her own thread. Also I posted a photo in MoreMoreMore''s thread titled TacoriE. I don''t know much about gemstones (or their vendors) so I feel stupid. What company are Jeff White and Rick Martin with?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Franziska-- thank you for that link, I''ll have to browse there somemore!

I just purchased a smokey Quartz (coming in the mail) it should be really lovely. And it was really affordable. I would totally love to give her the loose smokey Quartz and a loose Citrine for a pendant combo or something. I think that would be lovely.

I was also thinking about a lovely baby bangle instead. Does Tiffany have one?
Here it''s called Smokey Quartz - my understanding was that it is the same thing, just marketed under a more expensive sounding name. I have only seen it called Smokey Topaz online .

Here''s a quote from a UK gemsite:

"Smoky quartz is the dark brown variety of quartz. In the past, these were often sold as "smoky topaz". There is no such gemstone known as smoky topaz and it''s illegal to refer to quartz as "topaz". Watch out for some unscrupulous dealers who sell "smoky topaz", it is probably quartz."

My sister has the most beautiful necklace with a huge pendant that belonged to my grandmother. I had had my eye on it for years, so I am very jealous and have been looking for a nice one for myself.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got to go check out baby pics!!!
Jeff white custom cuts from rough stones he will be able to customize something for you... and also cut to a calibrated size so that you can get a stock setting if you have one in mind. The website is www.whitesgems.com

Rick Martin posts on this forum and is just a FABULOUS guy... his website isn''t really up and running but if you contact him with what you want he''ll send you pics of what he has and is very good about desribing his items to you.
www.artcutgems.com

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 12:23:03 PM
Author: Pyramid

Topaz is a different mineral known by that name. i.e. Quartz, Topaz, Garnet, Sapphire etc.

Peridot is not quartz (I''m sure that was just a typo). Smokey or smoky topaz is a misnomer because it is actually quartz. It should not be called topaz.

I''m attaching a picture of an interesting imperial topaz I was given with a lot of inclusions. The inclusions are fascinating.. I couldn''t get that great of a photo.

imperial-topaz-included.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 11:11:20 PM
Author: Nicrez

Date: 11/26/2007 8:10:42 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I love the golden color of citrine. Set properly, they are wonderful for autumn wear :D Mixed with smokey topaz would be beautiful.
SDL...Ohhhhhh....smokey topaz is so fun! I have seen a necklace with big emerald cut Smoky tpoazes and citrines... Great colors for fall....
30.gif

Topaz is a fluorine aluminium silicate with a hardness of 8 with delicate cleavage spots. Quartz has a hardness of 7 and has bits of quartz in the stones, which often give it "smokey" look, if you think "smokey pink quartz" or rose quartz. Citrines and Amethysts are Quartz varieties as well.

"Smokey Topaz" is often used for brownish grey topaz, but the quartz variety is mistaken called "smokey topaz" to increase the price.

As well as coming in brown, it comes in various shades of green, blue, yellow, yellow-brown, soft brownish yellow, colorless, red and pink ... which is very rare and per carat can be quite high. Of course the famous one is Imperial, like the one above.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 2:22:14 AM
Author: riogems

Date: 11/27/2007 12:23:03 PM
Author: Pyramid

Peridot is not quartz (I''m sure that was just a typo). Smokey or smoky topaz is a misnomer because it is actually quartz. It should not be called topaz.

I''m attaching a picture of an interesting imperial topaz I was given with a lot of inclusions. The inclusions are fascinating.. I couldn''t get that great of a photo.

Peridot is a gem variety of Olivine and is only one that is gem quality of it''s variety, so it''s easy to seperate from other greens

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I contacted one vendor who said citrines are too soft for a ring
15.gif
Just thought I would let you know....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a citrine in a ring but it isn''t an everyday ring. I would not use it for something that would be worn often as it is a very soft gemstone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 4:20:23 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Gypsy, I contacted one vendor who said citrines are too soft for a ring
15.gif
Just thought I would let you know....

Good to know Tacori and Chrono, thanks! Would still make a lovely pendant though I''m sure.

I''ve decided on a baby bangle (jewelry board has the thread) for my friend''s daughter instead of a loose stone though. I just thought it was easier for them, as they are starting out, not to worry about having to store a lose stone for years on end. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results