shape
carat
color
clarity

Noticeable size difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I am trying to choose between two very similar stones. One is a 1.1Ct with a 6.66 mm diameter and the other is a 1.02Ct with a 6.51mm diameter. Would the difference in size be noticeable?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I *definitely* see a size difference in a 1c vs a 1.15c so I am sure a 1.11c vs a 1.02c would be noticeable. You are talking an extra .10c and .15mm in diameter which is nothing to sneeze at.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara. It just seems like such a minute difference. So which one should I get: the 1.1 Ct is a F VS2 and the 1.02 Ct is a D VS2. Cut and price is pretty much identical. Is it worth the added cost and trouble to order both and see for myself?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The difference in size would be visible if the diamonds were set beside each other within an inch or so of each other... The difference in color would be detectable from a side view more than a top down view to the untrained eye... If the prices are really close to each other and the proportions are essentially identicle then we'd probably go with the D color ourselves...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely go for the F VS2 myself. Personally I don't care much about the colorless D marker and it's more expensive too as you can see by the carat weight difference. As a girl, if I knew that I'd gotten a great cut stone, still in the colorless range, VS2 and its .10c bigger than I could have had....that'd be perfect
2.gif
Bigger is better when it comes to diamonds in my eyes, and I'd be more than willing to give up D for F (it's not like you're talking I here) and get that extra cw. I think it will make a visual difference, and if she sees a friend with a 1c, she will know hers is bigger
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'd take the D color one... Once set the small diameter difference won't be noticeable, while the D color will look soooooooooo clear!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It's correct that the net price on these two stones be almost identical, by the way.

They're definitely an apples to apples comparison.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I did the HCA calculation. The D scores 1.5 and the F scores 1.1.

Eh.. Rich, I thought DiamCalc and HCA are the same thing, but now I've read that you actually need special software to do a DiamCalc? Well, thanks for offering to do that. Here are the complete specs.

D, 1.02c, VS2
Diameter 6.51-6.56
Depth 60.9
Table 55.0
Crown angle 34.3
Pavillion angle 41.0
Culet 0.5

F, 1.1c, VS2
Diameter 6.66-6.71
Depth 60.8
Table 56.6
Crown angle 34.3
Pavillion angle 40.8
Culet 0.6

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I would really appreciate any further opinions. I am ready to order, but I'm completely torn in two!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results