shape
carat
color
clarity

Notice the fire selling Graff, Tifanny, Cartier, Van Cleef?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asforhim

Rough_Rock
With the economy being the way it is, has anyone else noticed the fire selling of signed jewellry online? Just search Ebay for Graff, Tiffany or Van Cleef. Do you think this will translate into a reduced value for all designer jewellry and diamonds? A 4 ct Tiffany oval diamond with half-moon sides just sold for 85K on Ebay (valued close to 200K). Do you think places like Harry Winston and Tiffany will be more willing to deal?

Thoughts...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I don''t think Tiffany deals on new merchandise, but truly, buying high end items second hand would be a very smart idea!

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Dover Jewelry had a 4K Tiffany emerald cut on Ebay for 59K. In fact, I think they still had it as of late last week. Chalk some of it up to Madoff victims.

Honestly, though, for every seller like that who really wants to sell and is realistic, there are a hundred delusional types who think that their insurance appraisal or IGI cert adds value to some mediocre item. It's almost irritating to go through the listings, especialy in the antiques which I really like. 65 point diamond ring from 1930s with a 3K asking price for instance. Meh.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I have drooled a little over that 4 ct. EC! Gorgeous ring!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if Tiffany will deal. I have not heard of them doing so.

The other majors always have, particularly for important pieces and now they are even more "flexible".

In fact, I was in a jewelry store in Boston a couple of weeks ago. I had known the owner many years ago so we had a nice chat about a variety of things, including what is going on in the higher end jewelry market. He agreed that many "names" are having cash flow issues so the consumer is well positioned. We also had a conversation about Madoff and Palm Beach jewelers [some of whom I visited the day after the Madoff thing hit - what timing!] and he mentioned that he was working on picking up some pieces that had been sold to raise money down there and that amazing deals were to be had. He had obtained one, a large Burmese sapphire 3-stone ring which was positively amazing as was his price for it.

You might also want to have a look at what is going on at Sotheby''s and Christie''s. There have been some very interesting pieces going for very nice prices lately, particularly in the Important Jewels category.

If you have cash there are going to be some great deals around to take advantage of.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I agree with diamondseeker. Great value for high-end jewelry will be found in the secondary market.

3cd4her

Rough_Rock
I don''t know how true it is but during my appraisal last Friday we were talking a little about the jewelry business and diamond prices these days. An interesting note that follows this post was that people have been passing around if you go into Tiffany''s and mention a discount they are willing to work with you. These stores need liquidity (like everyone else today) and they are doing everything they can to get it.

hem01

Rough_Rock
I just looked up that ring on ebay and talked to the jeweler. Nice diamond at a good price. (although, I have no idea what the actual tiffany price would be). I would think in this economy, people would be selling off their jewels rather than losing their house. I''m not sure where they sell their diamonds however. Ebay scares me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results