shape
carat
color
clarity

Not sure if I should keep these yellow sapp earrings from The Natural Sapphire Company...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I just bought some natural yellow sapphire earrings and received them today. They are beautiful, but I have one issue... the yellow is quite faint in person, fainter than appeared in the online photo.

I don''t have a digital camera with me to take a photo of my actual pair (and they''re no longer listed on the website), so attached is a photo from their website SIMILAR to what I just bought (the earring on the left is closest in color to my pair).

In person, in daylight and office lighting, the yellow is quite faint, sometimes so faint you can''t tell the earrings are *supposed* to be yellow. It looks almost like a faint yellow diamond - and I don''t want to keep thinking that I am wearing stones the color of tinged diamonds! (No offense, just not my taste.)

So - I can still return them if I decide soon. Other than the color, I love them - the prongs, the jackets, the size, etc.

Help!

Anne

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I can''t see the picture as your attachment is undefined. In any case, if you don''t love them and don''t think you''ll wear them (or enjoy wearing them) then by all means, return them. No sense wasting your money on something you won''t wear.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, my PC crashed just when I was trying to post the pics. Attaching now...

Anne

J562_1.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
they sound very pretty.
i'm not sure *how* light yours are in person but i can tell you that i worked with a gal who always wore these lovely studs that had a 'yellow' tint. i never could figure out if they were a light fancy yellow colored stone or a boderline low d-z scale yellow diamond. not that it really mattered but the question was in my mind. if you really love them, you should keep them... but if you want a more saturated color, i would think about looking for that. either way, get what makes you happy!

eta: oh, i see your picture now! if those represent the true color, then i would say they definitely look yellow enough! i can see how you would be somewhat dissapointed if the color was represented to be darker, but i think they are lovely!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow....those are great! Love the antique-y jackets!
30.gif

Only you know if the sapphs are too light for you. It seems to me that if that was your first reaction when you opened the box, then they are.

Can't you return the studs for a more saturated pair?

Love 'em!

widget

ETA: I love the color depicted in the picture. To me, lighter colored yellow sapphs "look" more like diamonds....which ain't necessarily a bad thing!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMO, the yellow in person is significantly fainter than the way it appears in the photo... if I had to compare to diamonds, I''d say somewhere in the K-N range. It''s more like a yellow tint (versus color), so at a first quick glance you can''t tell if they are supposed to be yellow or not. I was hoping for something more like a dandelion or butter colored yellow.

Anyways, I will keep wearing them today and see if I can decide if I like them enough or not. The other pairs in this price range appear to be of a similar color. So maybe what I need is more saturated stones (that presumably cost more). We''ll see!

Anne

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thats too bad. I guess you never know till you se an colored stone in person what it''s really going to look lie. Could you select the stones first from the pairs section and then use one of he settings? Would it cost tons more?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So the update du jour is that in the end I decided to keep the earrings, lighter color and all. I am now considering the color "pastel". I just loved everything else about the earrings so much, and the way they looked on my ears. I never thought I could wear button styles until now. I have been wearing them every day since I got them, so I know that I must like them, lol. I also didn''t want the hassle of shipping back and forth across the border multiple times. And/or waiting for the vendor to find other stones (if they even would, I don''t know), which may cost more, yadda yadda. ;-)

If and when I ever take photos of my own pair (the pic in this thread was of a pair most similar to mine still on TNSC website), I will post it here.

Thanks everyone for your advice and support. :)

Anne

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 10:19:05 PM
Author: anne_h

If and when I ever take photos of my own pair (the pic in this thread was of a pair most similar to mine still on TNSC website), I will post it here.
We''re counting on that, Anne! ....and don''t forget earshots!

Congratulations..

widget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love those settings! I can''t wait to see the pictures of yours!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/28/2007 10:19:05 PM
Author: anne_h
So the update du jour is that in the end I decided to keep the earrings, lighter color and all. I am now considering the color ''pastel''. I just loved everything else about the earrings so much, and the way they looked on my ears. I never thought I could wear button styles until now. I have been wearing them every day since I got them, so I know that I must like them, lol. I also didn''t want the hassle of shipping back and forth across the border multiple times. And/or waiting for the vendor to find other stones (if they even would, I don''t know), which may cost more, yadda yadda. ;-)

Thanks everyone for your advice and support. :)

Anne

Hi Anne_H-
21.gif

I am glad you decided to keep the earrings. Market conditions indicate yellows don’t carry much of a premium “pricewise” as red, blue’s and pinks so hopefully you got a good deal on the stones.

You indicated that your stones looked a little pale. The Larger stones really carry more saturation. There are many shades of yellow in the market. I personally try to stay away from stones which are washed and faded out and many of the stones on the market have a brownish secondary hue. Yellow sapphires are stones available in a full range of hues and intensities.

I like the jackets which seem to suit the stones well.

36.gif
I think they look good, maybe the color your looking for was more of a “canary yellow” which is more of a trade name than a true representation of color…

Congrats…Josh
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results