shape
carat
color
clarity

not sure if anyone can help with this

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Buddaham

Rough_Rock
I guess this is more of a "jewelry" question than it is on diamonds, but figured I'd ask.I bought a diamond/platinum & 18K mounting a few months ago. After wearing it for about three months, I notice that the "platinum portion" of the ring looks like it is wearing and there is gold underneath??? Not sure what this means. The ring is marked PT950 and 18K. I have had it appraised and nothing was ever mentioned. I would appreciate anyone's comments on this.thanks,
Brenda

rokhunter

Rough_Rock
Well, the 950 marking shows that your ring is not 100% platinum, but I don't think the alloy mixture would show such signs of wear. Moediamond can address this, if he reads your posting... I think you have an issue to bring up with your jeweler.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Can you give us a little more description?Does this ring have any yellow gold trim? Is the head (prongs) yellow gold or white in color?------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

Buddaham

Rough_Rock
Yes, the ring is mostly platinum. I would guess 5% is 18K visually. It is 2/3 platinum from the bottom up. Then there is a small portion (approx 3 centimeters wide) of 18K gold. There is another small band of platinum ,a section of baguetts, then another small platinum separator and then a small round (which is held by four platinum prongs). This is the same on both sides. Then there is a platinum setting (6 prongs) for the center stone. Both the platinum and the 18K are engraved with an arrow like design (<<<<<< ). It seems that one portion of the platinum where it is engraved I can see gold?? Almost like the 18K gold is underneath?? I hope I haven't confused anyone, it is kind of hard to explain.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
HI Bud,Seems to me that since the shank (the bottom part of the ring) is supposed to be in 950 Platinum, it might not be if you see yellow in the letters of the engraving.
Find a "Refiner" company in your local yellow pages and ask them if they can test gold and platinum.
Try "refiner" or "jewelry-refiner" and take it to them.
They will use an acid test by rubbing your ring on a block (similar to a hardness test done in grade school) and dropping acid on it.
If it's truly Platinum, you should not see a "fizz" or any reaction.
But, if they drop Platinum acid on it and it's gold- send the ring back ASAP!!
Don't worry, no acid will ever go on your ring-just its mark on the block.
Since you're not to far from me, please contact me and I can test it for you.
I won't need acid to tell the difference between gold and platinum.Small note: Platinum is best used as 950 or 95% Platinum in rings. It is rarely used in its purest form other than for spark plugs and catalytic converters.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My guess, I think it was sized using white gold which will have a slight yellowish tint on platinum. It should be sized with platinum or welded. In some cases you simply can't appy enough heat to work with the platinum with out removing any stones that may be set. This can get expensive, but if its a new ring, they should do it correctly or order it in the correct ring size.Just my opinion of your problem. Good luck!------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

Buddaham

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies.Moe, can you please provide me with your phone number and location. If you prefer you can email me at: [email protected],
Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results