shape
carat
color
clarity

Not sure about this Tiffany diamond band - with black spots?

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all - I recently purchased a preloved 3mm Tiffany half circle channel set diamond band. I've been looking for a new wedding band and not having much luck - I have a fairly tight budget and also I keep changing my mind. I seem to be liking channel set bands, there were a couple at a local shop I liked but the quality was lacking and the prices were SO high. So I figured focusing on preloved Tiffany would be a safe choice, especially after being impressed with the gorgeous quality of one I'd tried before.

There wasn't any info on clarity or color of the stones for this ring, but the price was right and I can return. I like it.... but as much as I wanted a bigger look/wider band than the 2-ish mm prong set bands I have now, the smaller 2.5mm or 2mm versions of this would likely work better with my solitaire ring.

A couple things jumped out to me immediately which could be dealbreakers or I might get used to them: the color of the platinum appears colder than the platinum of my e ring, and the space between/metal behind the stones can sometimes look black in certain lighting. And then - I was very surprised to notice black spots on the underside of the stones. I would have thought this isn't typical for Tiffany? Or is it not a big deal? Would appreciate your thoughts!

IMG_7907 copy.jpg IMG_1326.jpg IMG_1328.jpg IMG_1323.jpg IMG_1333.jpg IMG_1341.jpg
IMG_7947 copy.jpg IMG_7920 copy 2.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you buy it? Did it come with original paperwork?

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Purchased from Fashionphile - no grading information, no paperwork. I've never purchased from there before but supposedly it's certified authentic through a strict process.. IDK

Fashionphile Tiffany band

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you clean it several times?

I've had my eternity ring look like this once(not as bad, but the black pattern was the same) after one round of ultrasonic. It was gunk& grime that got loose but wasn't washed off .

A few more rounds and a steam clean helped

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Did you clean it several times?

I've had my eternity ring look like this once(not as bad, but the black pattern was the same) after one round of ultrasonic. It was gunk& grime that got loose but wasn't washed off .

A few more rounds and a steam clean helped

Really, wow. I did try running a toothbrush in there but no, I can’t clean it because it has a tag attached that says no returns if removed. I might contact them and see if they’ll let me.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t provide any insight on any of your questions -
Just wanted to say I really like this effect - I think it looks beautiful on you.

Thank you! I do like that effect as well at times, other times it stands out a bit more than I’d like or looks a little off with the e-ring... it would probably grow on me

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
It may be 2 days before I get an answer as to whether they’ll allow me to remove the tag so I can try cleaning the ring. In the meantime here are a couple zoomed in pics of the black spots - anyone else have a similar experience that this could just be gunk that needs cleaning?
8019B5F0-3205-4D3A-8333-8113AA4797F0.jpeg 19390C75-BE95-4EC2-AF2A-4CE0D2F22461.jpeg A950FF0E-A9D8-4F1F-B5AB-54B55DC674B2.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any way of protecting the tag from getting wet? Wrap it in plastic wrap maybe? If it is like the Berricle tags it should have a plastic coating to it and not be easily removed or damaged. Obviously if that’s not the case it’s probably safer to wait for approval.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed, it’s really really dirty. That’s gunk not Diamond flaws.
It will look a million dollars when it’s properly cleaned.
if you get a jeweller to do it, modest cost, the platinum will also come up better too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
why would they have it for sale being this dirty ?
yuck !

how ever it looks absolutly beaituful on you with your ER
i hope it cleans up really nice and you completly fall un love with it

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I would put scotch tape over the tag and scrub it with a toothbrush for sure. These bands are notorious for collecting gunk! I purchased a pre loved tiffany 2mm full channel over a month ago, and i still havent gotten it completely clean. I work on it when i can lol. You may want to take it into a tiffanys if you live close to one, and have them inspect the stones for damage if you are still concerned after its cleaned. I have seen these bands with chipped stones and even one with shattered stones. But normally their stones are super clean wo any visable inclusions.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
I would put scotch tape over the tag and scrub it with a toothbrush for sure. These bands are notorious for collecting gunk! I purchased a pre loved tiffany 2mm full channel over a month ago, and i still havent gotten it completely clean. I work on it when i can lol. You may want to take it into a tiffanys if you live close to one, and have them inspect the stones for damage if you are still concerned after its cleaned. I have seen these bands with chipped stones and even one with shattered stones. But normally their stones are super clean wo any visable inclusions.

Wowzers, hope you get yours completely clean soon. I guess I can see that they’re good at collecting gunk, those azures back there are deep! Btw, I’ve stared at the pics in your thread with the 2 and 2.5mm bands with your CVB soli so many times, trying to figure out which one I want most! I really want the 2mm full eternity as well. At least I think I do. The store near me hasn’t had any to try on

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wowzers, hope you get yours completely clean soon. I guess I can see that they’re good at collecting gunk, those azures back there are deep! Btw, I’ve stared at the pics in your thread with the 2 and 2.5mm bands with your CVB soli so many times, trying to figure out which one I want most! I really want the 2mm full eternity as well. At least I think I do. The store near me hasn’t had any to try on

It is/was CRAZY dirty lol. I have totally made the rounds with these tiffany bands, right??? :lol-2:
This particular one i hadnt planned on purchasing. I just was at the right place at the right time and ended up getting it super cheap on ebay. And i absolutely love the full eternity, but everytime i bang it or even tap it i go nuts. Heres a pic of my new one ( my past ones were both 1/2) Please excuse the messy background, we are in the middle of major home renovations! ;-)

Attachments

• 20210924_091129.jpg
    20210924_091129.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 31

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
It is/was CRAZY dirty lol. I have totally made the rounds with these tiffany bands, right??? :lol-2:
This particular one i hadnt planned on purchasing. I just was at the right place at the right time and ended up getting it super cheap on ebay. And i absolutely love the full eternity, but everytime i bang it or even tap it i go nuts. Heres a pic of my new one ( my past ones were both 1/2) Please excuse the messy background, we are in the middle of major home renovations! ;-)

Love it! Is it super sparkly?

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! Is it super sparkly?

Thank you! It is in certain lights, esp. In sunlight it is. The diamonds are super tiny, so id def say my 2.5 was sparklier in more situations. But, i love the width with my e ring. I think it will be sparklier after i send it to tiffanys for a deep clean, polish and a wellness check. But i hear they are super backed up and are taking much longer to complete jobs, so i will wait a bit on that! :)

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! It is in certain lights, esp. In sunlight it is. The diamonds are super tiny, so id def say my 2.5 was sparklier in more situations. But, i love the width with my e ring. I think it will be sparklier after i send it to tiffanys for a deep clean, polish and a wellness check. But i hear they are super backed up and are taking much longer to complete jobs, so i will wait a bit on that! :)

I have the 3mm etoile with tiny stones and I can’t believe how much they sparkle. So if the 2mm channel has stones anything like that, I’d be super happy with one. But I have a feeling the 2.5mm would look the best with my e ring. Honestly I just need one of each width!

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have the 3mm etoile with tiny stones and I can’t believe how much they sparkle. So if the 2mm channel has stones anything like that, I’d be super happy with one. But I have a feeling the 2.5mm would look the best with my e ring. Honestly I just need one of each width!

Lol! SAME!! I love your 3 mm with your ering, and im sure it has enough of a presence to stand alone too!! The 2.5 is really nice too tho.... ugh its a tough decision. :snooty:

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
@kipari @Tourmaline @YadaYadaYada @Bron357 @Daisys and Diamonds @meesmom

Thank you all so much - looks like you're right on about it being filthy! I was really more expecting to hear that I'd received a counterfeit, or that Tiffany didn't always use great diamonds or something. Fashionphile initially answered me back last night saying I did need to have the tag on for a return, but they asked for photos of what I was seeing. They haven't responded since. So I was impatient - took your suggestion to wrap the tag in plastic wrap, and worked a soapy toothbrush into all the crevices. Seems to be helping! Here are new pics post toothbrush cleaning (phone pics of the screen on my camera - too lazy to unload them from the memory card right now)

IMG_8052 copy.jpg IMG_8053 copy.jpg IMG_8054 copy.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I was thinking my plastic wrap suggestion was a little out there but glad it worked!

Also a bit disappointing (to say the least) that they would send out a ring that filthy.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Yay it’s looking so much better! I agree with Yadayadayada…. Eww. Gross. That was THICK piles of build up! Keep scrubbing!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep going! It looks so much better!
My friend’s ring looked like it had a huge black inclusion on the back of one of the diamonds in her wedding band. She was so upset because she paid a fortune for it. I looked at it through a loupe..It really did look like an inclusion. I scrubbed the heck out of it and put it through my ultrasonic a few times. The inclusion disappeared. It was some thick black gunk! It was nasty. I had to clean the ultrasonic and run it through a few more times. It was so beautiful when it was clean. She said she never took it off to clean it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you all so much - looks like you're right on about it being filthy! I was really more expecting to hear that I'd received a counterfeit, or that Tiffany didn't always use great diamonds or something. Fashionphile initially answered me back last night saying I did need to have the tag on for a return, but they asked for photos of what I was seeing. They haven't responded since. So I was impatient - took your suggestion to wrap the tag in plastic wrap, and worked a soapy toothbrush into all the crevices. Seems to be helping! Here are new pics post toothbrush cleaning (phone pics of the screen on my camera - too lazy to unload them from the memory card right now)

wow !
you did good

but shame on the vendor sending out a dirty ring

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Keep going! It looks so much better!
My friend’s ring looked like it had a huge black inclusion on the back of one of the diamonds in her wedding band. She was so upset because she paid a fortune for it. I looked at it through a loupe..It really did look like an inclusion. I scrubbed the heck out of it and put it through my ultrasonic a few times. The inclusion disappeared. It was some thick black gunk! It was nasty. I had to clean the ultrasonic and run it through a few more times. It was so beautiful when it was clean. She said she never took it off to clean it.

I had a similar situation with my tiffany diamond earrings. They were sold to me at a very low cost bc the seller said one of the diamonds had a "large inclusion". I figured it might be dirt. I bought them and there was a big black spot on the pavilion! But before i panicked, i ultra sonic-ed them and scrubbed, and even used a pin to scrape it off, and finally it fell off. I was soooo happy!! Its so weird how some dirt spots actually turn black and look like carbon.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock

Looks better already!! Im not sure if this is reccomended but foaming bath spray (like scrubbing bubbles) works wonders. I spray it on and let it sit for like 10 minutes and then scrub. It might be worth a try...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a similar situation with my tiffany diamond earrings. They were sold to me at a very low cost bc the seller said one of the diamonds had a "large inclusion". I figured it might be dirt. I bought them and there was a big black spot on the pavilion! But before i panicked, i ultra sonic-ed them and scrubbed, and even used a pin to scrape it off, and finally it fell off. I was soooo happy!! Its so weird how some dirt spots actually turn black and look like carbon.

@meesmom What a great deal! My friend’s black gunk was like tar. That may be a great way to get a deal..Look for large black goop on the back of Tiffany diamond jewelry…It would most likely be crud! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results