carat
color
clarity

Not just counterfeit merchandise, but counterfeit STORES

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1311689262|2977034 said:
Cehrabehra|1311687251|2977018 said:
Ask me sometime how I feel about all of the counterfeit movies - my answer might surprise you ;-)

How do you feel about all of the counterfeit movies?

Counterfeit movies in general I am still not a fan of. However, after living here and soaking up this very powerful foreign culture, it has become clear to me that the more WE influence THEM the better. And the #1 way they are being influenced by us is through popular movies. And the people who live here cannot afford the prices for movies as they cost in America - nor would their society support video rental stores. The postal service is so bad that people pay their bills in person and credit cards are almost non existent. This is a cash industry and personal liability for goods and services could not be afforded by the average person (like putting a down payment to rent a movie). So, in my opinion, however the average chinese person (living on $300-$500 a month USD) can have access to popular american culture - I am okay with it. They are still stuck in the 50's in soooo many ways. I know we don't talk about it much because of their heavy influence on us financially, but they need us every bit as much as we need them.

As for the apple stores - the people who can afford that stuff can afford the real thing generally. It's already the upper middle class buying that stuff. But movies? In the 15-30 year old crowd it is a major driving force in their cultural awakening.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
couple more things...

... while it is a possibility that there is counterfeit coke, it is highly unlikely. The production process, distribution, etc... It's VERY likely to have things with typos though. If I were to bet, I would bet they are from genuine licensed bottling plants (or plants that formerly had licensing at least) with poor typographical quality control.

... it may seem surprising to be employed by someone and not even know that they're a fake - there's a good chance their boss didn't know either. People are raised here NOT to question authority. If they go into a shop they won't ask if it's real. They probably don't care, but even if it crossed their minds they won't question it. I had someone sell my daughter a beta fish (chinese fighting fish or thai fighting fish) and when we asked about buying food the girl insisted that this was a special fish that didn't need food for a whole year. Of course I questioned that (heck, even if I hadn't previously worked in a pet store... btw kenny how are your shrimp?) and she insisted, they were very special fish (I had my chinese teacher there, translating), almost like a magical fish and the magical fish didn't need to have its water changed or be fed for a year. Her boss came over and verified everything she said. I of course argued with them much to the deep embarrassment of my teacher. I was like seriously - you can't tell people this kind of BS. Someone has to educate these people! But no... in this culture it is embarrassment to be wrong.

I'm telling you guys, stereotypes or not, the Emperor's New Clothes were made in China!!!!!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1312039338|2980509 said:
... while it is a possibility that there is counterfeit coke, it is highly unlikely. The production process, distribution, etc... It's VERY likely to have things with typos though. If I were to bet, I would bet they are from genuine licensed bottling plants (or plants that formerly had licensing at least) with poor typographical quality control.

Oh, good point. I assumed it was fake because of the typos, but you bring up a good point!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sara I did my best but my goldfish, now huge, must have gobbled up all my shrimp. ;(
One morning they were all just gone.

The world was not transformed into a beaming new utopia; All that shrimpie drama for nothing. :knockout:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1312053526|2980630 said:
Sara I did my best but my goldfish, now huge, must have gobbled up all my shrimp. ;(
One morning they were all just gone.

The world was not transformed into a beaming new utopia; All that shrimpie drama for nothing. :knockout:

Dang survival of the fittest... there is a china-usa comment in there... I'm surprised you didn't say anything about my movie comment - I wouldn't be offended if you disagreed, I disagreed with that sentiment prior to moving here.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with you actually on that comment about the movies. There is a lot of pro americana drivel being spewed as well (sorry guys) in movies/TV, but popular culture actually makes the world a smaller place and a more cohesive one. It teaches values through popular culture and it is a great way for foreigners to associate with each other.

Kinda zaps the xenophobia a bit.

The world will change shortly with 2 new superpowers. Whatever happens, these are interesting times. We were dismissive of China as little as 15 years ago. In 15 years time, I wonder what people will be saying.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
We have counterfeit Office and Home Depots in Tanzania although they certainly dont go to such lengths to replicate the brand experience. Side note- apple's brand experience is in a class by isself. Scientists have found that Mac geeks walking into an apple store triggers the same brain response as a religious experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results