shape
carat
color
clarity

Not Happy with your Designer Setting Specifically "Vatche"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock

Hello all....I posted pictures of my GF E-Ring a few weeks ago, and while initially I was happy the Vatche Royal Crown setting after looking at it for a few weeks I thought how I just cannot give this ring to her as it looks SOOO Cheap and light for almost $700. For the price you pay for the "Name" I inspected this ring up and down and did not see any totally custom work and now I totally feel like the setting is a rip off. I went back to the Jeweler finally because I could not take it anymore, low and behold the sample I saw the band was thicker (width) than the one they made for my GF ring. So the ring has been reshipped back to Vatche to be fixed, while I do not believe it will make me love it anymore, I have now began the search for a different setting (Pave something that will make this 1.576 setting POP) which the Vatche did not do. Please help me find the "One". I still have approx. 2 months before proposal. This setting looked GREAT in pictures but once I began looking at craftsmanship to see where my $700+ dollars went and could not find any, this setting began looking more and more poorly made and that’s when I started thinking where their office is located in Manhattan, NYC and need to pay for the high rent.

My Lessons learned:
1) Would not purchase another Vatche setting.

2) Even though a ring is told to be "Custom" these rings are as stock as the metal that they are formed from.

3) Office of designer not willing to work me on exchanging the setting didn’t even want to reply to my emails, all they kept saying was please go to your Jeweler. It’s not like I wasn’t willing to pay for additional work or more for another stone.

4) When center stone was originally shipped to them I inquired to Vatche about them possibly emailing me pictures of the mold they made for the ring (this to me would show true custom work) never received a reply even to this date.

5) Why would a reputable company want to lose even one customer

6) Next setting I need to review the return/refund policy, I must see my stone or a similar size stone set in it prior to purchase.

Has anyone not been happy with their "designer" settings? I hope I am not the only one.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
are you keeping the vatche?

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock

Date: 10/8/2007 11:55:36 AM
Author: belle
are you keeping the vatche?

No I am not keeping it but unfortunately as with all “custom” work it’s not refundable / returnable, so I have to take the loss. I am most shocked about the price/policy. I have seen much better looking settings for the same price or just a little more. Once the ring is retuned from Vatche this week I will look at it again and them most likely take it to them personally and have them remove the stone.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry to hear you weren''t happy with it. i don''t know what a good solution would be since you seemed to be pleased with it initially. maybe once you get it back you will change your mind.

here''s hoping that''s the case anyway!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was there an actual problem with the craftsmanship? Is it white gold, white gold feels lighter than platinum and this is normal. How *custom* is defined varies from company to company.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know a picture won''t tell everything, but it sure doesn''t look bad here...

I don''t "think" I''ve ever heard anyone feel their Vatche was cheap. I certainly don''t.

I''m sorry you''re not happy though. I love that ring.

RingFinishedsideview.jpg

RingFinished.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"it looks SOOO Cheap and light for almost $700. For the price you pay for the "Name" I inspected this ring up and down and did not see any totally custom work and now I totally feel like the setting is a rip off. "

I haven't followed your story at all but a few things jumped out at me in just that one sentence up above.

What did you really expect to get for $700? Not that $700 is not $$$$, but when you buy a setting, you would be hard pressed to find anything super well made, nevermind 'totally custom' for $700. Especially a brand name setting. Is this gold or platinum? Either way...$700 is not that much in the setting world unfortunately. No-name-brand rings are sold for more than $700 all the time, so I don't actually believe you are paying for the 'name' in this case.

I also tend to think that for $700, I wouldn't expect totally custom (or custom at all really) and also the Vatche RC is not a custom setting. Did you ask for specific customization of your setting? And also I thought the VRC was more like $1100 in platinum. So maybe this is gold?

In any case...I am not sure exactly what you should expect for $700 but I would be surprised if you can get a totally custom piece for that cost. And having seen the VRC in person, I would never call it cheap or light. I'd guess I'd caution against getting expectations set too high because you might not find the perfect setting for $700.

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:10:16 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Was there an actual problem with the craftsmanship? Is it white gold, white gold feels lighter than platinum and this is normal. How *custom* is defined varies from company to company.

Yes.. Kcoursolle, the band thickness and width was smaller than the sample I saw at the Jeweler''s. The Jeweler saw the difference and actually sent the display ring along with mine to Vatche so they could correct. I just kept saying this ring looks different. Lets see when it returns this week maybe I will "Love it" again. :)

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:17:56 PM
Author: Mara
''it looks SOOO Cheap and light for almost $700. For the price you pay for the ''Name'' I inspected this ring up and down and did not see any totally custom work and now I totally feel like the setting is a rip off. ''

I haven''t followed your story at all but a few things jumped out at me in just that one sentence up above.

What did you really expect to get for $700? Not that $700 is not $$$$, but when you buy a setting, you would be hard pressed to find anything super well made, nevermind ''totally custom'' for $700. Especially a brand name setting. Is this gold or platinum? Either way...$700 is not that much in the setting world unfortunately. No-name-brand rings are sold for more than $700 all the time, so I don''t actually believe you are paying for the ''name'' in this case.

I also tend to think that for $700, I wouldn''t expect totally custom (or custom at all really) and also the Vatche RC is not a custom setting. Did you ask for specific customization of your setting? And also I thought the VRC was more like $1100 in platinum. So maybe this is gold?

In any case...I am not sure exactly what you should expect for $700 but I would be surprised if you can get a totally custom piece for that cost. And having seen the VRC in person, I would never call it cheap or light. I''d guess I''d caution against getting expectations set too high because you might not find the perfect setting for $700.
Mara - What I was implying was that there are much better setting with Pave etc.. for not much more from the $700 mark. Also, my GF does not like Platinum and prefers White gold better so yes it is 18K White Gold. For the cost of $700 for a 18K White gold setting with NO side stones is EXTREMLY EXPENSIVE. Why would I want to get a “Vatche” name when I can go to other vendors like WF and get a better looking setting for $$1200 with side stones or Pave?

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with Ellen and Mara. I have a pave RC, and while they said it was "custom" I believe they just meant that it was made to order. So you choose your size andn they make it...but it''s a "stock" setting in that it''s a setting that they always offer. So I would understand if they didn''t feel it was necessary to send you the cast of the one they were going to make for you.

If you want Pave, you could opt for the pave RC, I have a 1.4 stone and it certainly does make mine pop...or at least I think so. I also have never felt that mine was cheap looking or poorly made.

Mine was significantly more than $700, and it is platinum. I have to admit I''ve never seen a WG RC in real life but from the quality of my ring and several other Vatches I tried on, I have to say that they were all of impeccable quality. But for $700 and one of their standard settings, I agree with Mara that I''m unsure of what you were expecting in terms of "custom" work.

I am sorry that you are disappointed in your ring and wish you the best of luck finding the "one"!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:30:57 PM
Author: Rabe2000

Mara - What I was implying was that there are much better setting with Pave etc.. for not much more from the $700 mark. Also, my GF does not like Platinum and prefers White gold better so yes it is 18K White Gold. For the cost of $700 for a 18K White gold setting with NO side stones is EXTREMLY EXPENSIVE. Why would I want to get a “Vatche” name when I can go to other vendors like WF and get a better looking setting for $$1200 with side stones or Pave?
Wow I had no idea that $700 for a white gold name brand setting with no side stones is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. You learn something new every day I suppose.

Sounds like a no brainer to me. Go to WF or other vendors and get a better looking setting with side stones for $1200! Have fun!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:24:47 PM
Author: Rabe2000

Date: 10/8/2007 12:10:16 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Yes.. Kcoursolle, the band thickness and width was smaller than the sample I saw at the Jeweler's. The Jeweler saw the difference and actually sent the display ring along with mine to Vatche so they could correct. I just kept saying this ring looks different. Lets see when it returns this week maybe I will 'Love it' again. :)
To be honest, when I look at those pictures I see a beautiful and well-made ring. It's unfortunate that the shank thickness is slightly thinner than you expected, but it sounds like your jeweler and vatche are willing to fix this issue. Mistakes sometimes happen, but the good companies will get it correct the second time.

From the tone of your writing it sounds in general that you are now dissatisfied with this particular type of setting in general. You talk about now wanting a pave ring. If you wanted a pave ring, you should have gotten this in the first place or get a reset later. It's unreasonable to expect a jeweler to provide a refund simply because you changed your mind unless there was a return policy in place established upfront before purchase.

To reiterate Mara's point about money, for $700 it is going to be hard to find a less expensive really well-made pave ring that feels *heavier* than this ring. Well-made platinum or pave no-name rings can still be 1-4k depending on the design.

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock
Thats the question...if the ring is NOT "custom" which it''s not why can''t I change the setting to another, even Vatche? I quess I just have to see it once Vatche fixes the setting.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too am surprised to hear of your disappointment. I don't know if I've seen pics that you posted of the ring... but I wear a Vatche engagement ring and couldn't be happier with the workmanship for the price. Mine is in platinum and cost about $1600, but has small side diamonds as well.

In any case, I agree with Mara's points.

BTW, your definition of "not much more" money is a little skewed, IMO... $1200 is nearly twice $700 (as I'm sure you are aware). In the grand scheme of things, not extremely expensive, but still twice as much as you paid.

I also don't think that $700 is "extremely expensive" compared to what you'd get elsewhere in 18K. The legato sleek line at Whiteflash is $695, and looks to me to be a more simply constructed setting than the Royal Crown. More simply than $5 worth, anyway
3.gif

Anyway, sorry you're not happy/satisfied. But I do think it's a matter of your expectations for the setting being higher than perhaps they should be for the price, not that the Vatche is actually of poor/inferior quality.

Rabe2000

Rough_Rock
April Diamonds - Can you send me pics of your Pave? or link me to the post.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 12:33:20 PM
Author: Mara

Wow I had no idea that $700 for a white gold name brand setting with no side stones is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. You learn something new every day I suppose.
Me either. And here I spent all that money on my setting that I could have put towards my stone.
9.gif

rabe, just kiddin. The point I''m trying to make is, that is not a lot of money really, as Mara pointed out. In fact, I picked my setting for the value it got me. I did put almost my entire budget into the stone, and went with the Vatche because it was a well made setting at a price that didn''t break the bank.

I''ve seen cheap settings, Vatche''s aren''t one of them.
2.gif

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i''m sorry the actual ring was so different from the one you saw at the jewelers. these things can happen even with the most reputable manufacturers.

as for the $700 price tag, i agree that most brand name settings cost much more (especially platinum). that said, i have a beautiful hand-crafted and hand-finished white gold ring from a relatively unknown designer that cost $800. it feels quite solid and heavy and has held up well after 1.5 years.

and as kcourselle mentions, ''custom'' is defined in many different ways. i find that the wedding industry is particularly adept at exaggerating the extent of custom work. the fact that the setting is adjusted to fit your stone makes it ''custom.'' this is why they will not accept a return. the same goes for those mass-produced polyester satin and lace wedding dresses that can''t be returned, even unaltered and unworn.

since the term ''custom'' is up for grabs, it''s probably best if you focus on quality. and it sounds like quality is not what you received. i hope the new vatche meets your expectations. if not, i wish you luck on finding the right setting!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree that $700 is not expensive at all for a nice ering setting. It''s a bargain basement price IMO. That''s not to say your Vatche setting is cheap, a contraire, I think it''s lovely and I''m not seeing the "cheapness" of it. I''m wondering if you approached the manufacturer with the same tone as your posts here, maybe they got uppity because you got angry with them from the get go? Is that possible? Because you get more flies with honey...I think it''s a gorgeous setting. Ellen, isn''t that the same setting as yours? Look at Ellen''s ring and tell me that''s a cheap setting...I dare ya...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this case, I take custom to mean the setting was manufactured for the size of your center stone, not handmade necessarily, just for you. That is the case with many settings. A lot of settings are stock set for 1 carat centers, which is probably what size is sold the most. So you don''t like it, that''s your perogative, and you''re stuck with footing the bill, which is usually also normal policy for anything special ordered.

I happen to prefer WG myself. You might consider keeping the new Vatche and telling your g/f that she may pick another setting if she likes. Or sell it, whatever suits you best.

Maybe you want more bling? Look into pave. Someone suggested WF. They have very reasonable but good quality WG settings although you will pay more than $700. Try to narrow it down a bit more to what width of band you think would look best. A lot of women like the thinner bands (2.0mm-2.5mm) to make the center stone pop. What size will the ring be?

Lots of choices out there, but I wouldn''t expect custom in that price range.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
rabe, i''m sorry you''re not happy with the vatche setting. I will say that $700 for a plain WG setting is very reasonable for a designer setting. Seriously, go check out pearlmans website and you''ll see some of the designer pricetags there and you''ll realize you got a bargain. Anyway, as for finding a new setting, what type of budget do you have and do you want another solitaire or a pave setting. WF will give you some great options that are budget friendly and their workmanship is very good. There might also be some other options out there for you as well.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that you are not happy with the ring. I agree that $700 is a lot of money, but not for a gold setting (especially designer). I hope that when you get it back, you love it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, I agree that $700 is not expensive for a good quality 18k wg setting. Mine is very similar to the RC and it was also $700. And wg weighs what it weighs. If you want more weight, you need platinum!

But what I do have to say here, is that we have many girls here who would be ASKING them to make that RC shank just a little thinner, because it has a tendency to be a little on the wide side! Sounds like it came to you just perfect! Wish you had posted some pictures before making a hasty decision. Vatche is one of the most well-finished settings out there.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 5:54:19 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Of course, I agree that $700 is not expensive for a good quality 18k wg setting. Mine is very similar to the RC and it was also $700. And wg weighs what it weighs. If you want more weight, you need platinum!

But what I do have to say here, is that we have many girls here who would be ASKING them to make that RC shank just a little thinner, because it has a tendency to be a little on the wide side! Sounds like it came to you just perfect! Wish you had posted some pictures before making a hasty decision. Vatche is one of the most well-finished settings out there.

I thought the same thing ds!

And while they weren''t taken by Rabe, those pics I posted are of the ring in question.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 1:30:39 PM
Author: surfgirl
I have to agree that $700 is not expensive at all for a nice ering setting. It's a bargain basement price IMO. That's not to say your Vatche setting is cheap, a contraire, I think it's lovely and I'm not seeing the 'cheapness' of it. I'm wondering if you approached the manufacturer with the same tone as your posts here, maybe they got uppity because you got angry with them from the get go? Is that possible? Because you get more flies with honey...I think it's a gorgeous setting. Ellen, isn't that the same setting as yours? Look at Ellen's ring and tell me that's a cheap setting...I dare ya...
9.gif
2.gif

Mine's a cousin, the X-Prong

sera

Ideal_Rock
Typically, people go with a thinner band if they want the stone to pop... sending it back to be made thicker is fine if that is what you want, but I''m not sure going thicker would make it pop more.

$700 is not a lot for a well made WG setting. And I have to admit, I do not typically like RB solitaire settings, but that one is very pretty- it flows beautifully and it looks like a more expensive setting than many $700 settings appear.

I do hope when it comes back it''s just how you want it! It would be a shame to be out $700, but if it''s not what you want, what can you do? Live n learn, get a different setting... or maybe present it to your gf and ask if she would like a different one? one with pave? or save the money you would spend on a second setting and save it for a pave w-band? I hope it all works out and your gf loves her ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2007 6:01:47 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 10/8/2007 5:54:19 PM

And while they weren''t taken by Rabe, those pics I posted are of the ring in question.
And you won''t find many rings that can handle close-up photography like that! It looks perfect to me!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2007 6:38:41 PM

Date: 10/8/2007 6:01:47 PM
Author: Ellen

And you won''t find many rings that can handle close-up photography like that! It looks perfect to me!
Yep.

I think k possibly hit on the real issue when she posted this:

From the tone of your writing it sounds in general that you are now dissatisfied with this particular type of setting in general. You talk about now wanting a pave ring. If you wanted a pave ring, you should have gotten this in the first place or get a reset later. It''s unreasonable to expect a jeweler to provide a refund simply because you changed your mind unless there was a return policy in place established upfront before purchase.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rabe, hopefully you can exchange the ring for something you like better. To me Vatche is gorgeous! I love Miss. Ellen''s beauty.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
hi rabe,

sorry to hear you''re unhappy with the setting.

i''m a vatche RC owner and i absolutely love the setting. the craftsmanship is outstanding (i examined it, louped it and tried to look for faults but couldn''t find anything) and it doesn''t look "cheap" at all. if you examine it closely, it''s a very intricate piece and the tapering of the shank makes the center stone stand out and pop more. mine is platinum so it''s not light.

my setting was "custom" also. the jeweler explained that "custom" meant the setting would be made specifically to fit my stone and of course, made to my ring size.

i hope you get the issue resolved soon/find a setting that you like. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results