shape
carat
color
clarity

Not happy with custom e-ring - am I crazy?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe for one minute that sapphires need more support than diamonds that sounds like a B/S excuse to me. I'm also not surprised white sapphires don't sparkle the same way diamonds or diamond like products do, generally they are duller sparkle wise, add to that the fact French Cuts aren't as flashy scintillation wise as say round brilliants or other cuts generally (irrespective of which stone you use). If you are unhappy with the ring ask them to take your sapphire out, get some sort of refund, and try and get someone like CVB to make you another one. The metal has been made thicker mm wise on each size than your inspiration, that's what a lot of jewellers that don't produce super slim super fine metalwork will create. It's not a mistake it's just what their bench can or can't do.

I personally like your ring, the extra metal gives it a sort of "Deco" type appearance IMHO.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is lovely, but I can absolutely understand being disappointed that the ring didn’t turn out as planned. I too, feel that ‘needing more metal to support the stones’ is a BS excuse. This jeweller unfortunately just seems like they are struggling to rival the work of CVB. While it’s a lovely ring in its own right, if you specifically wanted a more delicate look at that kind of setting, it may be worth considering whether this jeweller can actually deliver that for you. Of course it would be best to give her the option of replying and seeing what she can do...

French cuts also sparkle a bit differently to regular diamonds. They’re less about ‘sparkle’ as you may see in a wedding band made with melee, and more about bigger flashes. I have to say, I have French cut diamond bands from CVB herself and I don’t exactly feel those diamonds are ‘sparkly’. Of course, they’re also a whole lot smaller than your side stones. Sapphire being generally less sparkly doesn’t help.

I hope you can resolve this and end up with a ring you love!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i too say your ring is beautiful but if its not how you imangined it i.understand your disappointment
that sapphire stone is a stunner
and the engraving is just lovelly
good luck getting the sparkle you need
I'm sure the end result will be worth the heart ache now

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will echo previous posters that French cuts are unlikely to be very sparkly no matter what material you use -- when you put it next to a "sparkly band," does that band have French cut gemstones?

But perhaps if you remake the ring you can look at whatever the stones are before they get put in the ring. Was the jeweler also not willing to cut cz? A cutter perhaps should weigh in, but I feel like I've heard that moissanite is tough to cut, whereas cz isn't nearly as bad.

I think we should clarify what “sparkly” means to @Birdinski French cuts aren’t sparkly like modern brilliants are but they do have huge flashes. I am speaking about French cut diamonds though. I agree that French cut sapphires won’t reflect light the same way. CVB’scwork is very fine and not too many Jewelers can duplicate that so I’m not surprised that you see a difference. Some people would be fine with the workmanship of the piece you have and others desire more refined work. I would consider having Caysie make you a new ring if you can’t live with the one you have. Just because work is custom does not mean all custom level work is the same. I say give it some time and figure out what you can live with and what you can’t before you make a decision. Plenty of us here have gone through the resetting process so we understand.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s absolutely lovely. I love the Center stone, which has enough presence to stand on its own. I think the wider bezeling around the sapphire French cuts gives it a modern touch that balances out the strength of the rich color. The workmanship is excellent.

Not every love is love at first sight. Maybe take time to see if you can get used to the jewelers vision. From an outsider’s perspective it is a dream ring!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you are disappointed. I find that white sapphires need to be brilliant cuts and be kept pristine or they die. That inner rim of metal is not necessary for sapphires...she's making that up. Sapphires are more likely to get scratched than a diamond but they are not subject to greater risk on the sides of a french cut. I pulled images of 4 vintage rings to prove the point.

Its a guess, but I would guess that they cut or bought stones that were too short in width and the extra rim is to compensate. If you replace these, I would emphasize that you want the side to be like the CBI setting with a single metal rim. There is not reason "she" needs to cut the stones herself. She could simply order them from a supplier with a good reputation. They might kill any budget (so might be worth saving up for), but you could replace them with diamonds. Gem concepts can cut custom sets and they will be delightful.

You may be happier with moissanite (see video at the end), but you may trade too little life for lot so dispersion (high energy colored flashes).

upload_2019-5-11_19-49-41.png

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you are disappointed. I find that white sapphires need to be brilliant cuts and be kept pristine or they die. That inner rim of metal is not necessary for sapphires...she's making that up. Sapphires are more likely to get scratched than a diamond but they are not subject to greater risk on the sides of a french cut. I pulled images of 4 vintage rings to prove the point.

Its a guess, but I would guess that they cut or bought stones that were too short in width and the extra rim is to compensate. If you replace these, I would emphasize that you want the side to be like the CBI setting with a single metal rim. There is not reason "she" needs to cut the stones herself. She could simply order them from a supplier with a good reputation. They might kill any budget (so might be worth saving up for), but you could replace them with diamonds. Gem concepts can cut custom sets and they will be delightful.

You may be happier with moissanite (see video at the end), but you may trade too little life for lot so dispersion (high energy colored flashes).

upload_2019-5-11_19-49-41.png

Any stone cut by GemConcepts is worth “saving for”. I have 7 Vintage Asscher Cut Diamonds from GemConcepts, and nothing compares to them. Not even close. My own local jeweler has been blown away by the craftsmanship of Yoram & his bench.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think something to clarify before going forward is what type of band do you want to wear with it? Maybe i missed that in the thread, but that will make a big impact on what you should pick for your sidestones.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring and stone but definitely not as dainty as CVB example. Agree that reason for additional metal seems specious. What about having band with white sapphires? That way you'll minimize the contrast?

Best wishes on your engagement! This is a little bump on the road of your life together.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly IMO the ring is utterly divine, gorgeous green sapphire and well made to last a lifetime. :kiss2: The shank doesn't look too thick to me but rather in proportion to the very large centre stone.

However I can understand the disappointment of dull side-stones and the contrast being made more stark against a diamond band. I suggest chat with the jeweller around your concerns but I suspect unfortunately you would need the whole ring to be remade to replace those stones.... :eek2: The idea of a matching white sapphire band would be nice.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think the metal rim is there because the jewler cut the sapphires to small for the existing setting -- this explanation seems highly plausible until you consider that the metal rim was already there in the cad, and also couldn't have been ad-hocly added later. Most likely explanation is that the jewler intended it to be there all along (basically they planned to add it from the point of inception of the design; independently of the relative size between the band and the side stones). Perhaps they intended to file it down to be less prominent at the end but found there were issues executing this plan.

Your bench made a lovely setting, I would keep it for what it represents. It still encompasses all the things you were trying to embody with the original plan. Later (in a few years) I would start again from scratch with a ring from cvb. This will give you a few years to evaluate how you feel about different aspects of the jewlery from how high it is set, to cut on the side stones and metal colour.

I think this forum makes it look like everyone stumbled upon a one of a kind heirloom quality ring. Whereas in reality most people changed stones and settings many times to get to their current set. And a lot of rings have the shank bend or crack or something happen to the struts supporting the basket or pavee fall out over the years, so it is very much a continuous process for many people. Not a one shot wonder that remains idempotent for time immemorial.

Last edited:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@qubitasaurus , I think this is sage advice! I have learned a lot about myself and what I like by living with my jewelry. I have found some minor disappointments with things that turn out to be part of their charm. This is actually a pretty good metaphor for marriage also!

We can also hope that things change and grow for the better, and sometimes—with time—they do.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It is beautiful. The jeweler should have told you about the difference in sparkle of the nondiamond options of your side stones. I think having a total sapphire ring is cool. Folks won't think that you are trying to get a diamond look with the more sparkly options. Your ring is big and beautiful-it may need some getting used to. Congrats.

For what it is worth, I agree and think that the all sapphire ring is totally the way to go! The faux diamonds will be all blingy and the emerald cut center stone just is not a fire throwing, bling cut.

Emerald cuts are so refined and classic, that ring will be timeless.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You could also get a white sapphire band to go with it.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
My fiancé and I spent months working with a jeweler on a custom ring, but ever since he proposed last week, a couple of things have been driving me nuts about it.

1. In our rush to get it done in time, we opted for white sapphire instead of custom moissanite side stones that were potentially going to push us over schedule (the jeweler in question won't cut moissanite, but they were willing to do sapphire). Even clean, the sapphires are dull and lifeless and look like cloudy glass. I couldn't care less about diamonds, but I did want something with a little life.

2. The bigger issue is that there's some extra metal along the side and it feels bulky and clunky. My inspiration photo (only for the side stones) was this image from CVB Designs:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/38/df/6a38dfff348f1cf02ec38b9b59a6ba44.jpg

Instead, it ended up looking like this:

side stones.PNG

Am I crazy for thinking this is all wrong? We approved the wax model because they kept telling us it would be shaved/polished down in the final stages and look just like the drawings in the end - but now there's all this extra metal on the sides and it just feels clunky and enormous on my hand.

There's engraving on the sides, along with the milgrain - so it's not like they can just shave down the sides and call it a day. Would it make more sense to order new side stones of different measurements? Is there any way this can be reasonably fixed? I feel like a horrible person for being anything but 100% in love with this ring and I can't seem to stop beating myself up about it - but every time I look at it, it's all I can see.

Thanks in advance for your help/reality check!

One more ring shot - overall, I love it, I just can't seem to get over those two little things.
another ring shot smaller.PNG

My fiancé and I spent months working with a jeweler on a custom ring, but ever since he proposed last week, a couple of things have been driving me nuts about it.

1. In our rush to get it done in time, we opted for white sapphire instead of custom moissanite side stones that were potentially going to push us over schedule (the jeweler in question won't cut moissanite, but they were willing to do sapphire). Even clean, the sapphires are dull and lifeless and look like cloudy glass. I couldn't care less about diamonds, but I did want something with a little life.

2. The bigger issue is that there's some extra metal along the side and it feels bulky and clunky. My inspiration photo (only for the side stones) was this image from CVB Designs:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6a/38/df/6a38dfff348f1cf02ec38b9b59a6ba44.jpg

Instead, it ended up looking like this:

side stones.PNG

Am I crazy for thinking this is all wrong? We approved the wax model because they kept telling us it would be shaved/polished down in the final stages and look just like the drawings in the end - but now there's all this extra metal on the sides and it just feels clunky and enormous on my hand.

There's engraving on the sides, along with the milgrain - so it's not like they can just shave down the sides and call it a day. Would it make more sense to order new side stones of different measurements? Is there any way this can be reasonably fixed? I feel like a horrible person for being anything but 100% in love with this ring and I can't seem to stop beating myself up about it - but every time I look at it, it's all I can see.

Thanks in advance for your help/reality check!

One more ring shot - overall, I love it, I just can't seem to get over those two little things.
another ring shot smaller.PNG
First let me say to you, you are not a bad person for having concerns or feeling disappointed that your vision didn't turn out. Your center Stone is wonderful. Absolutely love the thistles. Is there a reason you chose the white metal versus the gold? Were the white stones for the shoulders on the shank a must? Forgive my being so bold, would have a higher color french cut diamond been within budget? Possibly reducing the number of sides stones utilizing a tapered flow as was mentioned a consideration?
I hope the jeweler will work with you to make this ring your vision and a joy. Best of luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results