shape
carat
color
clarity

Not Entirely Sure ???!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stelfina

Rough_Rock
Hi :)
I am new to this forum
35.gif
but have been reading and browsing through posts for a couple of days and finally decided to register
1.gif

Yesterday I and my mum bought a diamond ring. It isn''t big compared to all of the stones here
2.gif
Mine is just 0.56ct. Bought it from Altinbas. I do not expect you to know it as it is a turkish brand. This is their website : http://www.altinbas.com/english/index.html
The problem is that I am not entirely sure whether the diamond is real, although the brand is one of the most ftrusted in Bulgaria. I have read almost all articles with titles such as " How to tell whether a diamond is real or fake" but most of the methods suggested are for unmounted stones.
I did the fogg test and I am really worried because it FOGGS UP
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
I tried to clean the stone and performed the test again and again.... THE RESULTS WERE THE SAME- the FOG STAYS
39.gif

Could it be a fake ?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Stelfina,

Really all you can do is take it to a reliable appraiser if you are at all unsure if you have one in your area, or a trustworthy jeweller, they will be able to verify if what you have is diamond or not. I have tried the fog test many times out of interest and get different results with it, so I wouldn't rely on that as an accurate way to tell!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 5:27:01 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Stelfina,

Really all you can do is take it to a reliable appraiser if you are at all unsure if you have one in your area, or a trustworthy jeweller, they will be able to verify if what you have is diamond or not. I have tried the fog test many times out of interest and get different results with it, so I wouldn''t rely on that as an accurate way to tell!
Agreed. Try and get an independant appraiser (one who does not sell jewelry) to look at it, that is preferable.

stelfina

Rough_Rock
Thank you :) It is the fog test that makes me unsure whether the diamond is real. I will try and find somebody

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 7:40:44 AM
Author: stelfina
Thank you :) It is the fog test that makes me unsure whether the diamond is real. I will try and find somebody
Most welcome! A good appraiser might also be able to point out inclusions in your diamond if the clarity grade permits, and you will be able to always identify it in that case.

Did your diamond come with a lab report such as GIA?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
A diamond will fog too...but a CZ/fake fogs MUCH more and for MUCH longer. So just because your stone figs doesn''t mean it isn''t real.

stelfina

Rough_Rock
There is a certificate from the manifacturer, not from a lab.
By the way tried to fog the fake pink stones of my hair-clip and guess what - there was no fog at all ?! Probably they are plastic.... idk
How is that possible- a diamond to fog and fakes not to ?
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
I am becoming a neurotic
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results