shape
carat
color
clarity

Not engaged yet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firemansgirl

Rough_Rock
I''''m not engaged yet, but will be by the year''''s end. Do you think that stating to my future fiance'''' what size diamond I want is bratty? I figured this will be my only ring so I might as well get what I want initally as long as he''''s willing to foot the bill, right?
emsmilep.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Read the advanced tutorial at the top. Learn about the 4C''s. Then decide what carat you want. Also, go to a jewelry store and try stuff on so you get an idea of how big these things actually look.

A diamond''s price is affected by a ton of stuff. Sacrificing in one area lets you bump up what you get in another. My point is, to figure out a range of what you''d like. I think it''s ok to let him know a range you would like. It may sound bratty at first, but if he''s actually done research, he''ll realize he wants that knowledge and it won''t sound bratty anymore.

Maybe get him to check this site out first. Once he starts thinking about the 4C''s, then he''ll be asking those questions on his own if he feels comfortable talking to you about it. For now, have fun and try stones on to get an idea of what you like more.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2005 8:10
6.gif
0 PM
Author:firemansgirl
...I figured this will be my only ring so I might as well get what I want initally as long as he's willing to foot the bill, right?
emsmilep.gif
33.gif
Heh~ I used to think my e-ring will be my only diamond ring, but I caught the bug bigtime once I found Pricescope
2.gif

I don't think it is bratty to tell him what you want, but don't lose sight of the fact that whatever he gets you is a symbol of your love
30.gif

Edited to add: You can always 'upgrade' later
11.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider it bratty if you say you want a 2 carat diamond when he has a one carat budget. Perhaps you need to get an idea of what he can afford before you make your request.

One of my girlfriends and I got engaged around the same time. She told her boyfriend that he shouldn''t propose with anything less than a carat. She got her 1.01 diamond but it was poorly cut and was about the size of a .75 carat. It took him 3 years to pay for it. I told my boyfriend about what she''d said and asked him "what would you do if I told you that?" He replied, "I''d dump you!" He couldn''t afford that and we both knew it. I ended up with .54 carat diamond that I wore for 13 years. When I wanted to upgrade my DH was fine with it and I got a 1.12 carat stone. We were both comfortable with the purchase and knew we could afford it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps you could ask him to have some degree of participation in choosing the ring. Quite a few Pricescope stories make good evidence for this - see this poll. One version might just be suitable for you as well.

It seems quite acceptable to have some input while letting a bit of room for the fiance to come up with the traditional surprise.

'Guess the only real shortcomming of taking part in the ring shopping is that... you can hardly say "No" afterwards !
31.gif

Just one way to "play it safe".

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2005 8:32:16 PM
Author:firemansgirl
I''m not engaged yet, but will be by the year''s end. Do you think that stating to my future fiance'' what size diamond I want is bratty? I figured this will be my only ring so I might as well get what I want initally as long as he''s willing to foot the bill, right?
emsmilep.gif
33.gif
what ever the size, just make sure you don''t get into a e-ring debt before starting a life together.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results