shape
carat
color
clarity

Not another Black Diamond topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suixxgeneris

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,
I''m new, but I''ve been reading up on these boards for a while :) (Yes, I''m a lurker, but at least I admitted it). I have been searching far and wide for a non-treated/enhanced/irradiated black diamond and I came across this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10216&item=4949815617&rd=1
The guy tells me that this diamond is not treated and the reason why he is selling it for that much is because "all the other ones you see on ebay are either fake or poor quality." I offered him $900 for it and he told me, "Ok, send me the money via paypal and it''s yours." But when I asked him if I could get a refund if I take it to an independent lab to see if it''s irradiated or not, he told me the deal is off... whatever that means.

Anyway, my question is, should black diamonds be worth this much? Even if it is a "gem" quality?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea who sells certified black diamonds of nicer quality... There is a note about them on Garry''s site (www.preciousmetals.com.au).

Given that the treatment is done on the rough material, perhaps the seller doesn''t know himself if the material is treated - as far as I know.

Black spinel looks better, but then... you''d be the first one to go for the looks and forget the fame of black diamonds, cracled as they may be.
2.gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
IMHO that is a nice looking black diamond, and some of natural black diamonds run around $1000/ct.
But then, you should be able to have the diamond verified as part of the deal. There are a lot of irradiated diamonds out there.

Joker....

suixxgeneris

Rough_Rock
Well, he did post his "Gemology" certificate on that auction page... and he appraised the gem himself to be $12k...
But thanks for the input! I appreciate it.
31.gif

rubydick

Shiny_Rock
I'm not exactly a diamond guy and I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but here goes.

Diamond is a gem that owes its beauty and value to a few select properties.

First, its hardness. Nothing is harder. Thus it is forever, at least in terms of being scratched.

Second, among the hard gems, it has the highest refractive index and dispersion. Thus when it is transparent and of a light color, it produces a spectacular light show. Fine gem diamonds are magnificent in the manner in which they throw light around a room. Truly unique in the world of gems.

Now let's consider black diamonds. The fact that they are black means that the wonderful optical effects which put diamond on the gemological map are gone. Disappeared, vanished without trace. History.

Which leaves only hardness. And, I am sad to report, hardness alone, does not a gem make.

One of the fundamentals of a gemstone is aesthetic beauty. Rarity alone is not enough, nor durability. Gems are supposed to be beautiful.

Now if black is beautiful, go for it. And if white is your color, awesome. Gray? More bland to ya.

But for this dog, if I don't see the light show, then I expect some color. Like Bob Dylan, I like my sugar sweet.

Again, just my personal opinion.

And as for someone who is unwilling to guarantee what they sell, all that does is tell you the value of the guarantee.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2004 128:33 AM
Author: Richard Hughes

Now if black is beautiful, go for it. And if white is your color, awesome. Gray? More bland to ya.

But for this dog, if I don't see the light show, then I expect some color.
Just thought to show this one. Now, I fully understand the use of a little black dress, but a black grinding rock like that below...

I guess all a gem lab can do is grade it, as long as one submits any piece of mineral they can ID, but then does anyone understand the appeal of this roughly polished beauty ?

The oddity is documented on THIS site. And the sale appears mentioned independently (link).

puzzle.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2004 12
6.gif
8:33 AM
Author: Richard Hughes
I''m not exactly a diamond guy and I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but here goes.

Diamond is a gem that owes its beauty and value to a few select properties.

First, its hardness. Nothing is harder. Thus it is forever, at least in terms of being scratched.

Second, among the hard gems, it has the highest refractive index and dispersion. Thus when it is transparent and of a light color, it produces a spectacular light show. Fine gem diamonds are magnificent in the manner in which they throw light around a room. Truly unique in the world of gems.

Now let''s consider black diamonds. The fact that they are black means that the wonderful optical effects which put diamond on the gemological map are gone. Disappeared, vanished without trace. History.

Which leaves only hardness. And, I am sad to report, hardness alone, does not a gem make.

One of the fundamentals of a gemstone is aesthetic beauty. Rarity alone is not enough, nor durability. Gems are supposed to be beautiful.

But for this dog, if I don''t see the light show, then I expect some color. Like Bob Dylan, I like my sugar sweet.

Again, just my personal opinion.

And as for someone who is unwilling to guarantee what they sell, all that does is tell you the value of the guarantee.

Richard some grist for the anti diamond mill
41.gif

Natural Black diamonds are not that hard - and they are more prone to breakage.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi all

A perfect black spinel absolutely natural of 2.6 carats would sell for around $100, I must ask why would you want a diamond for $900??
Black spinel is never treated because it just doesnt need any - they are almost always flawless with a hardness of about 8 - it holds an excellent polish. See here for an example - this one is about 6 carats.

cheers
Andrew

Black_Spinel_pear.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results