shape
carat
color
clarity

NOT an engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I have spent a few weeks.. uh.. eight or nine, actually, on this board, and it seems that everybody who is getting a nice diamond is getting it for an engagement ring! I have been married for ten years and want to get a 1 carat diamond for my anniversary.

I don''t want to upgrade my existing engagement ring (when I mentioned it, my husband''s reply was along the lines of "so, now you want to *butcher* your wedding ring"). Soooo, I''m keeping my old ring exactly the way it is. My question is: is it odd/weird/unusual to wear a solitaire that looks like an engagement ring on your right hand? Any suggestions?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I know women who have non-e-ring solitaires, but they usually have them in settings that aren't obviously traditional e-rings. In other words, if you don't want it to really look like an e-ring, don't buy a Tiffany-style setting. Get a wider band, or a tension-set, or a bezel-set, or flank the diamond with other stones. There are so many altternatives now out there besides a Tiffany-style.

OTOH, if that's what you want, who cares what anyone else thinks?
appl.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! A one carat diamond is a perfect way to mark the occasion! A lot of our customers have elected not to upgrade their wedding set and to wear larger diamonds on their right hand... Most of them select a setting that is different than a solitaire, but a few have selected a solitaire style ring and it looks fine to us... You should wear what makes YOU happy! The fact is that nothing says DIAMOND like a solitaire... The design is simple, timeless and refined.

BTW: we'd like to say that Robin and I just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this past Valentines Day and it was a monumentous event! Primarily because she hasn't killed me... Yet
10.gif
and we understand that the Iceman is approaching his 25th wedding anniversary in the next year or two?!?!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are lots of choices...I know women as well who have switched over their engagement ring to their right hand, and wear their wedding ring solo, or stacked with other precious gem rings on their left. I've also seen women wear their solitaire on their right hand and then a 3 stone anniversary ring on their left. So I don't think it is unusual at all for you to have something like that on your right hand. I have a friend who has a sapphire and diamond wedding ring on her left hand and a solitaire stone on her right which isn't even her engagement ring, its an OEC cut stone that was passed down in her family for generations that she had set into a very simple 6 prong setting. I'm sure people think it's her e-ring.

Have you considered a 3 stone ring as an anniversary ring? You could get a .50c center stone and two .25 stones on left/right. Would be gorgeous.

Plus as Hest says...no matter what others think. Fingers are for diamonds!
1.gif
Wear what you want!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'd suggest a tension setting. They are very 'in' right now and they don't look like an engagement ring to me...

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely want a solitaire without any side stones. I am intrigued by the idea of a tension setting. Are there any good websites with examples out there?

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
I too have this problem........ although it is not my husband who is having the problem, it is me!!

I really want a 2 carat "upgrade" but it will not fit into my existing setting without ruining the look. I have been going back and forth since October trying to decide what to do. At first I thought about copying my existing setting then I decided to go completely different - antique platinum larger band vs. current yellow gold. I also am having a very serious case of sentimentality not to mention a case of what "should" I do. It really was not supposed to be an anniversary present so to speak but as our 5 year is in May, it looks like it just might turn out that way.

Oh, well .. I am not much help but your post made me feel better. !!

twirl.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Get that one carat and wear it with pride
Just like you did when you were a bride

There's nothing that can quite compare
To a beautiful diamond solitaire

Wear it on any finger you choose
Or make it a necklace - and you can't lose!

Happy 10th and many more.....

2.gif

Gueneth

Rough_Rock
I thought I had this problem...until I got the ring! I upgraded to a 2.5 carat RB with baguettes and princess cuts in a platinum setting. That after wearing a 33-pt solitaire for 23 years! When hubby surprised me with the setting (I got to choose the middle stone on my own) I debated on which hand it would go on. It was wider and heavier than my original e-ring. I decided, heck...he bought it be worn as my new wedding ring. So I put my 1/3 carat in my jewelry box (to wear at the gym, while gardening, etc.) and sport my new ring everyday! I say enjoy your diamonds and where them anyway you want. Don't worry about what others think! Ciao!

frizzy_dt

Rough_Rock
I agree with everyone here. My original e-ring was a simple gold band with a .3 (maybe smaller but larget than .25) stone in it. For our 1 year anniversary we had the stone reset into a wedding set with channel set stones around it. Next year will be our 10 year anniversary and my husband just got me a three stone ring with a 1.5ct champagne diamond in the center. I wear it on my left hand and my original ring on my right.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Wear it on whatever hand you want. 10 years is a milestone. I'm w/ another - wear your new ring on your left hand w/ your wedding band. An engagement ring is a promise to marry ring. IMHO, I think it can be upgraded. Unless, you have sentimental attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results