shape
carat
color
clarity

Northern VA - DC Metro proposal ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I''m trying to think of ideas for my proposal which I am tentatively planning for late this year - December 08. My gf wants it to be a total surprise and I have done so many great things in the past for our anniversaries and her bdays that she expects it to be perfect. I''m not sure what type of proposal it will be - whether public or private.

The one idea that I thought was creative was taking her to the movie theatre (same one as our first date) and rent out an ad - so before the movie starts it says on there "...will you marry me...."

so some things that are of conern is that how will the audience react - often times there are immature kids at the theatre and I dont want them to ruin this special day.. another concern is that if i do decide to do it this way she will be so giddy and happy and wont want to sit there the entire move and might feel awkward holding all this feelings in since its public and we are at the movies...

anyways..

knowing now that i am in the va/dc area with plenty of iconic and scenic places - what do you all suggest as proposal ideas?

just an fyi - i dont want it to be too expensive as we are saving up for a house and will need to save up for the wedding/honeymoon and all these other fun things!

Thanks!!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
How about the top of the Washington monument? Or one of those harbor cruises?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the idea Lady has of Washington Monument here is a link to info on Wash Monument This maybe weird but the view from the Arlington house at Arlington Cemetry is amazing!!! I love love love Washington DC; I did love eating at Obelisk (delicious Italian food) and 1789 is very romantic. We had drinks at Hotel Washington's Sky Terrace and it has a view of the Mall (Whitehouse, Washington Monument) at the top of the hotel. What a fun trip and I think a very lovely city to Propose.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 6:34:29 PM
Author: Skippy123
I like the idea Lady has of Washington Monument here is a link to info on Wash Monument This maybe weird but the view from the Arlington house at Arlington Cemetry is amazing!!! I love love love Washington DC; I did love eating at Obelisk (delicious Italian food) and 1789 is very romantic. We had drinks at Hotel Washington''s Sky Terrace and it has a view of the Mall (Whitehouse, Washington Monument) at the top of the hotel. What a fun trip and I think a very lovely city to Propose.
im not sure how i feel about the monument.. it seems too generic and boring when thinkin about dc. how is hotel washington sky terrace?

ive done the oddyssey dinner cruise in dc by the water front which was really nice.

i just wnat to be unique and the monument doesnt seem that way.. and since ive already done the dinner cruise before im not sure if i wanna go for that either.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 10:19:53 PM
Author: lovehersomuch
im not sure how i feel about the monument.. it seems too generic and boring when thinkin about dc. how is hotel washington sky terrace?

ive done the oddyssey dinner cruise in dc by the water front which was really nice.

i just wnat to be unique and the monument doesnt seem that way.. and since ive already done the dinner cruise before im not sure if i wanna go for that either.

The Sky Terrace gets crowded and is too casual, but fun for drinks. How about one of the memorials at night; they are lit up and it would be a romantic stroll? Maybe the steps of Lincoln Memorial? If you were out there in the spring the cherry blossoms would be beautiful and that would be romantic. Maybe at the National Gallery of Art or at the fountain outside the National Gallery by the Sculpture Garden? Also, early morning is very beautiful and less crowded; my favorite time for strolling the monuments was at 6 am.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
A few thoughts...

I''m NoVA too!
36.gif

You could rent a canoe at the C&O Canal, propose, and have a nice little picnic packed (with some champagne of course)... or propose during the picnic.

There are also some beautiful wineries that do wine tastings for $10 per person in VA. They have some really beautiful scenic views at those vineyards and the drive there is very pretty. You could go wine tasting, walk around the grounds a bit, and propose there (you could even scout out the vineyard beforehand for a pretty, secluded proposal spot).

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
what do you think about the movie theatre idea that i thought of?

btw thanks for the suggestions!!

sparxs111

Shiny_Rock
I hate to say it, but I agree with your original statement. The last thing the two of you are going to want to do is to site in the dark quietly, and her not being able to see her ring, which she will want to look at continuously. If you want to rent ad space, (in canada) Ive heard of a company that will do up a billboard for you for a little while. What about a newspaper add, in her favourite magazine... I personally love the idea of a canoe trip, and you can have individual signs along the route spelling it out...

Whatever you do...GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY. Can''t wait for mine this friday!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
To be flat-out honest, I think the movie idea is a good concpt but there are definite flaws, which Sparxs noted. If you''re aiming for a public proposal, maybe going to a Nationals game and proposing via the big screen there would work. Otherwise, I''d think about places or activities she enjoys and planning the proposal around that.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
i think proposing at the nationals game or any baseball game is a bit cliche..

i agree too the canal canoe seems like a great idea. can you pass along more details of where it is?

ill try to google it as well.

thanks!

you can still throw ideas in this thread as im not 100% certain what i want to do..

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
The C&) Canal runs beside the Potomac River on the Maryland side. I know that the canal''s Potomac, MD visitor center section of the C&O has canoes, kayaks, etc. for rent. I''m not sure if the DC visitor centers do, though. Here''s a link about the C&O: http://www.nps.gov/choh/. There''s a biking/walking path beside the canal, as well. You can go for a little hike and find a nice spot overlooking the river to have your picnic. It''s very pretty.

Now, December might be a bit chilly for this trip but fall would be a great time to go.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the canal idea. If I were your intended, I''d hope you''d keep it personal and between us (even though you feel like shouting from the rooftops). The franciscan monestary is a cool place, as are the gardens around the national cathedral and Dumbarton Oaks in g-town. But since you are planning on a december proposal (i.e. cold)...maybe get a balcony for one of her favorite shows at the kennedy center? How about taking her to an outdoor skating rink (sculpture garden, reston)and skate for a bit and "fall down" or say you need to tighten your lace so you get down on one knee?

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
are there any other canoes or ferry rides in the dc metro that are nice? i checked out some info regarding c&o canal and it didnt seem like it was that romantic - water looks a bit dirty etc...

also i just thought of another idea - let me know what you all think about it.

have romantic picnic somewhere yet to be determined and have a plan pass by above us with a banner saying things like i love you and will you marry me (her name).

i know this is a bit cliche too.. obviously i need some help as i want it to be a surprise, be original and creative.

thanks!!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re set on December as your proposal month, I just thought of a December proposal idea. You could take her to go ice skating in DC at the Sculpture Garden Ice Rink. If you haven''t been there, it''s an outdoor ice rink located in the Sculpture Garden (near the National Art Gallery). It''s very easy to get there... especially if you take the Metro.
Here''s a link to some info on the Sculpture Garden Ice Rink: http://dc.about.com/cs/sports/a/Iceskating.htm (click on the blue "Scuplture Garden Ice Rink" link to get more information)

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Kelpie, you and I must be sharing a brain with the C&O and Sculpture Garden Ice Rink ideas. Haha! I hadn''t seen your post about that until after I posted.
28.gif

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Loverhersomuch, keep in mind that this is coming from me and I obviously don''t know you or your to-be fiancee, but I would think smaller scale and more romantic, rather than showy and a tad impersonal (no offense intended). Really personalize your proposal to your S.O.

Think about your S.O. and what she would really like in a proposal. What would be her favorite kind of day? Would it be hiking? Going to a museum? Lounging around watching movies with you? Going to a nice dinner? Getting a spa treatment? Then, wrap your proposal idea around that. The true thought that went into the proposal and the amount you really thought of HER when planning it will be the most important, meaningful thing. Anyone can come up with a sweep-her-off-her-feet, over-the-top, generic proposal but those proposals IMHO don''t mean nearly as much as the ones that are truly and absolutely geared toward the intended fiancee.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 1:24:54 PM
Author: aprilcait
Loverhersomuch, keep in mind that this is coming from me and I obviously don''t know you or your to-be fiancee, but I would think smaller scale and more romantic, rather than showy and a tad impersonal (no offense intended). Really personalize your proposal to your S.O.

Think about your S.O. and what she would really like in a proposal. What would be her favorite kind of day? Would it be hiking? Going to a museum? Lounging around watching movies with you? Going to a nice dinner? Getting a spa treatment? Then, wrap your proposal idea around that. The true thought that went into the proposal and the amount you really thought of HER when planning it will be the most important, meaningful thing. Anyone can come up with a sweep-her-off-her-feet, over-the-top, generic proposal but those proposals IMHO don''t mean nearly as much as the ones that are truly and absolutely geared toward the intended fiancee.
your absolutely right i need it to be personal and i know my gf the best. i guess what i really need to do is think of what she wants and what would mean the most to her..etc.

for this thread id still appreciate it if ppl can put in their 2 cents about different things around the VA/DC/MD area that is creative and special. this will help since i may be limited and not think of diff venues or places around here that may be suitable.

whyphil

Rough_Rock
I hope I''m not hijacking your thread, but I am also planning a Washington DC proposal. We live in San Diego and I am going to be in DC for a conference in 2 weeks. My boss had to back out and suggested I take my girlfriend in his place so I don''t have to go by myself... This got the gears grinding in my head that this would be a perfect opportunity to surprise her with a proposal.

Anyway, we get into town a day before the conference and plan to spend the day sight-seeing. I figure at some point we''ll find ourselves at a romantic spot and I''ll drop to a knee... We''ve talked about getting engaged a lot, but I think she''ll be totally surprised.

I''ve done a little research here and I see several people suggested some of the memorials at night, but I would prefer to do it during the day as we have a reception to attend later that evening. My other concern is the cold weather, she''s not going to want to put gloves back on after getting the ring, so I probably need to make the spot the last stop on our sightseeing tour?

I''ve also arranged for an associate attending the conference to help with decorating the hotel room while we''re gone... flowers, candles, chocolate covered strawberries(her favorite)... So maybe if the outdoor proposal doesn''t work out, I can do it privately in the room?

Anyway, I''d appreciate more suggestions on possible locations. I like the idea of doing it at a place that we''ll occasionally see in movies or on television so we can relive the memory.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 9:38:03 PM
Author: whyphil
I hope I''m not hijacking your thread, but I am also planning a Washington DC proposal. We live in San Diego and I am going to be in DC for a conference in 2 weeks. My boss had to back out and suggested I take my girlfriend in his place so I don''t have to go by myself... This got the gears grinding in my head that this would be a perfect opportunity to surprise her with a proposal.

Anyway, we get into town a day before the conference and plan to spend the day sight-seeing. I figure at some point we''ll find ourselves at a romantic spot and I''ll drop to a knee... We''ve talked about getting engaged a lot, but I think she''ll be totally surprised.

I''ve done a little research here and I see several people suggested some of the memorials at night, but I would prefer to do it during the day as we have a reception to attend later that evening. My other concern is the cold weather, she''s not going to want to put gloves back on after getting the ring, so I probably need to make the spot the last stop on our sightseeing tour?

I''ve also arranged for an associate attending the conference to help with decorating the hotel room while we''re gone... flowers, candles, chocolate covered strawberries(her favorite)... So maybe if the outdoor proposal doesn''t work out, I can do it privately in the room?

Anyway, I''d appreciate more suggestions on possible locations. I like the idea of doing it at a place that we''ll occasionally see in movies or on television so we can relive the memory.
Great ideas so far, but best to start your own thread. So it doesn''t get confusing.... Good luck!!!
1.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
The C&O Canal also runs in the Georgetown section of DC, where it runs parallel to M Street just a touch to the south. (When looking for a place to live, I almost rented a 3 story house on the canal which was a converted former mule stable for the canal transport in the 19th century... very charming nook in modern day.) There's a strolling path alongside it.

When you mentioned proposing in DC, the first thought that came to my mind was renting one of the boats in the Tidal Basin by the Jefferson Memorial. I've done that with my now-fiance and it was a both fun and romantic.

The only concern with either water-based idea is that I would imagine all the boat-rental places are closed in winter.

Can you personalize it somehow? What types of things do you like to do together, and is there any significance to any specific locale(s) in DC?

P.S. Juveniles in movie theatres.... umm, could be a formula for trouble. It would be very sad to have such a beautiful moment marred by mockery and laughter by pimply tweens, you know?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 9:38:03 PM
Author: whyphil

How about the steps from the Exorcist!!?!?!

11.gif

*don''t shoot me*
12.gif

basisforaday

Rough_Rock
How about renting out the theater? I know most theaters will rent out a theater for a certain price for parties, schools ect. it will be probably be least expensive if you do it at an odd time. take her to a movie that you aren''t very excited to see. you can make jokes about how the movie she picked must not be very good. Then you can also ask the theater if they can play an add at the end of the movie (they might even be willing to play your add over the previews). So you have just sat through a romantic movie. tell her you want to see the credits so you can see what the name of the song was or something along those lines. as it gets close to the end of the credits and you know your add it going to pop up you get the ring ready (you could even do it in a box of candy or popcorn or something. she sees the add and you drop down.

that way you dont worry about obnoxious people in the theater and making her sit through a movie after you just proposed. plus then you always have a movie that will remind you of when you proposed (and will work as a great birthday present everytime formats change ala vhs->dvd->bluray ect.).

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
There is a beautiful little garden in Georgetown - by the the "Old Stone House" - and it is secluded so you could always take a walk around Georgetown, wander into the garden, propose, and then take her to one of the great restaurants right across the street. The house is on M Street, and I know there is a great Irish pub that has awesome food almost right across the street.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
i'm dropping the whole movie theatre idea..

the garden in gtown sounds nice.. ill see if i can find any pics online..

i want to be creative.. my gf is into arts/crafts.. not sure how i could incorporate that exactly into the proposal but still thinking of ideas.

btw.. this doesnt necessarily need to be done downtown in dc.. i live in va..

sweetjettagirl04

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2008 4:40:34 PM
i''m dropping the whole movie theatre idea..

i want to be creative.. my gf is into arts/crafts.. not sure how i could incorporate that exactly into the proposal but still thinking of ideas.

Just google "old stone house georgetown" and go to the link for about.com and scroll through the pictures, there are 6 on the site that show the house first, then the garden.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2008 9:11:36 AM
Author: sweetjettagirl04

Date: 1/22/2008 4:40:34 PM
i''m dropping the whole movie theatre idea..

Just google ''old stone house georgetown'' and go to the link for about.com and scroll through the pictures, there are 6 on the site that show the house first, then the garden.

i just saw some pics of the garden and it doesnt seem like anything extraordinary from the pics.. seems more like a historic place then anything since its the oldest private home in dc.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
i have another idea!!!

let me know what you all think of it:

so this past xmas we went to ocean city to celebrate our anniversary. to our surprise it was all decorated and they had a winter festival taking place called winterfest.

basically its a light show of xmas related lights where you get on a trolly and it drives thru a field that is decorated. i was thinking maybe we could go back this year and i could maybe set my own lights up with ocean city''s winterfest permission of course that said "will you marry me?"

i would just need to plug this light fixture into one of their AC outlets. this is personal because we''ve gone there before and had a great time and said we wanted to go back. they also have hot chocolate there and live band.. very festive!

so what do you all think about this? anyone know where i could get a light fixture like the one i described above?

as far as costs.. it wouldnt really cost too much just the cost of the light fixture and admission to the winterfest.. afterwards we could go back to her condo and i could help make dinner or try to make it myself.. not many restuarants are open in ocean city during the holidays...

LS90

Rough_Rock
I don''t live in the DC area, but i''ve been there occasionally.

I like the ice skating at the national sculpture garden idea, even if you don''t use that as where to propose. If just to set up the day, because if it''s a cold day you can suggest going into the national gallery of art to warm up, and propose in there. Either just suddenly, or by slowly working up to it by noting couples and family interactions within the pictures that you see.

If it''s warm and you want someplace out of doors and private, there is always the forgotten national monument....and by that, i mean Roosevelt island. It''s quiet and majestic as the president that it''s been dedicated to. By that time of year the fountains and everything should be off, the leaves should be fallen. So you''d be walking thru crisp fallen leaves, among weathered stonework, there are plenty of bridges and such, pretty much it''s a black and white photo come to life, especially if there''s fog. I''m not saying it''s a beautiful place, just powerful and solitary....like being in a sacred woods, so a firm base for the marriage to come.

People have suggested the C and O canal in Georgetown, even though i''m not sure if it would be a place to do the proposal i can recommend a little tea shop by there. Called "ching ching cha", it''s right next to the pleasure palace on Wisconsin ave (no that''s not how i found it O:) ). But anyway, it''s very small and quiet place that you might use to warm up after a chilly walk on the canal. It''s not little alcoves or anything. Though to be warned, it''s very chinese in the 30 types of tea they serve, the only food is pretty much bento boxes in which you have just a choice of chicken, fish, or tofu for the main dish of those.....but the salmon i last had there was superb in a ginger sauce. Then again, that could entirely be different from both of your styles.

If only i were to propose in DC i''d also think about the national botanic garden which is right near the capital. What can i say, i love orchids and i''d love to think that the smell of them would be part of the memory of proposing. That''s the problem, is that DC is just too full of great places! lucky person, so your plan of just walking around and finding one might work also. I''ll put my thinking cap on and see what else pops into my head.

btw, about ocean city, i don''t see why that would be too much of a problem, because most places generally bend over backwards to facilitate a proposal. You also have a tremendous lead time to think this out, totally lucky!

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
im having such a hard time finding lights that say "will you marry me" if anyone knows of any websites id really appreciate it.

thanks!

elsie

Shiny_Rock
How about Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna? It''s a beautiful place, and they even have a really nice gazebo we were considering renting for our wedding.

Or proposing during a concert at WolfTrap?

Or a picnic at Great Falls Park near the waterfalls? (Might be a bit cold in December, though).

Then there''s always Old Towne Alexandria where you can spend a day and find a quaint place to propose.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results