shape
carat
color
clarity

North-South-East-West Engagement Ring

Raella

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have been visiting the forum for a while, and now I finally have my own E-Ring
1.gif

Rings Specs:
0.73 Carat
VVS1 (EGL) or VVS2 (GIA)
Ideal Cut (EGL) or Very Good Cut (GIA)
E Colour
NWT Canadian Diamond

Ring is a custom made North-South-East-West setting with heart shaped prongs in platinum.
30.gif

Raella ERing.jpg

Raella

Rough_Rock
Profile View

Raella ring 2.jpg

Raella

Rough_Rock
Hand Shot

the ring is designed after the Birks North-South-East-West solitaire
http://www.birks.com/en/featured/Engagement/Solitaire-Diamond-Rings/g64-712/895286

Raella ring on hand.jpg

rough_newbie

Rough_Rock
beautiful ring!! It came out really nice. The setting really shows off the stone very nicely.
30.gif

But we need some close-up pictures (would love to see some side angles on hand)...

Also, what size ring do you wear and what are the specs on the stone?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement Raella!!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just how sweet is that? It''s so romantic!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring -- looks great on your hand, too!

Raella

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your comments.

The Ring Size is: 5.25

Here are more hand photos :)

Raella ERing hand 1.jpg

Raella

Rough_Rock
Profile view wearing the ring

Raella ERing Side 1.jpg

Raella

Rough_Rock
A close-up

Raella ERing Close.jpg

Raella

Rough_Rock
It was surprisingly difficult to find a simple NSEW/compass/kite set solitaire (for sale or in photos), even on Pricescope. Luckily, my jeweler made a Birks inspired NSEW ring. I modified it slightly so that the claws are attached at a higher position. Otherwise, the wedding band does not fit flush against the E-ring. The little heart prongs were carved by the jeweler after he set the diamond.

I was also lucky enough to find a jeweler that provided diamonds at a reasonable price, nearly comparable to buying online. The only set-back was a bumbling sales person that never ordered in my diamond certificate, and I had to wait over a month for it.

The diamond was approximately $4300 + tax (Damiani Jewellers)

The custom platinum setting was approximately $700 (Hearts & Arrows - Asian Jeweller); most of the other jewelery stores offered to do the platinum setting for $1500
23.gif

Raella

Rough_Rock
This photo was taken after the proposal. The roses were a last minute purchase from Metro by the fiancee
25.gif

Raella Roses and Ring.jpg

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
OOOOOOH... I love this. NSEW settings are fun, and they get away from making the stone look square-ish, which I think a lot of regular 4-prong settings do. Gorgeous and congrats!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty and looks big!

cushionladyESQ

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Very pretty! I like those heart-shaped prongs. Congratulations!

lweber

Shiny_Rock
I like your setting a lot. I have a special fondness for hearts, so I really like your prongs.

Congrats!

legra

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is very beautiful - such a simple, elegant setting and I really love the heart prongs. Congratulations on your engagement!

Raella

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/28/2010 5:47:51 AM
Author: redhead02

OOOOOOH... I love this. NSEW settings are fun, and they get away from making the stone look square-ish, which I think a lot of regular 4-prong settings do. Gorgeous and congrats!

1.gif
This is one of the major reasons I picked this setting. I didn''t want the stone to look square, but I didn''t want a 6 prong.

Date: 5/28/2010 10:03:06 AM
Author: motownmama

pretty and looks big!

This is another good reason to get at NSEW setting
2.gif
It makes the stone look a lot bigger than in a regular 4-prong.

Raella

Rough_Rock
Oh, and as many of you have commented... I
30.gif
the hearts on the prongs. Its unique and cute
30.gif
I didn''t know it could be done...more jewelers should offer to do it.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Love your ring!!!! The prongs are awesome!!! It looks great on you!!! Congrats on your engagements!!!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I actually initially had the Birks NSEW ring replicated too, but the jeweler did a horrible job. So I changed the setting a few months into the engagement. Your ring just made me feel wistful of what could have been! I love it!

Raella

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/30/2010 12:11:31 AM
Author: kama_s
Beautiful! I actually initially had the Birks NSEW ring replicated too, but the jeweler did a horrible job. So I changed the setting a few months into the engagement. Your ring just made me feel wistful of what could have been! I love it!

Sorry to hear that your setting didn''t work out. It is not a very complicated setting, I hope the jeweler gave you a refund for the bad setting. Maybe a better jeweler can replicate the correct setting for you someday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results