shape
carat
color
clarity

Normal not to have an invoice before purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sozekeyserman

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m very close to performing a wire transfer on Monday with a PS tried and true vendor to purchase a stone. The one thing that''s bugging me is that they will not send me any documentation of the item I''m purchasing and a bill until after the transfer is complete. Then all the information (GIA report, other reports, packaging statement) comes with the diamond.

Is this normal? Or should I demand an invoice before the purchase?

Soze

Sozekeyserman

Rough_Rock
I guess I had an addendum to this question.

All information about the diamond is currently listed on the website. Is that an appropriate substitute?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never gotten an invoice before purchase from any of my vendors, nor did it even occur to me to expect to.

If you are worried re: documentation or getting what you are expecting, then I would just put it in email and say...I want to get XYZ stone (and list the specifics) for XYZ amount per discussion etc. Get as specific as you want in the email and then if necessary the vendor can say 'yes that is correct' so you have some sort of peace of mind and documentation. But really you have a return policy with the vendor so if something arrives and it's not as it should be, you can always return it.

Though personally I would not worry with any well-reputed PS vendor. They are committed to ensuring customer happiness around here and if anything was wrong, they would definitely fix it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara. I haven''t gotten that documentation before I''ve gotten the stone either, but they can always email it to you. I wouldn''t worry about it. The PS vendors are great and want you to be happy.

Sozekeyserman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies.

I''ve taken your advice Mara and sent off an e-mail. I''m not overly concerned, as I know from countless posts on this site that this vendor is top notch. I just feel that this gives the transaction a bit of a formal feeling, and clearly explains the terms of sale. Plus I figure it''s not too difficult to draft a quick letter indicating what I''m buying, especially since it''ll make me feel more secure. After all, I am wiring thousands of dollars to another account!
3.gif

Soze

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I would always expect an invoice stating object, total amount, etc before paying for it. An invoice is a request for money - even if it's in the form of an email.

That said, I would not expect a bill of sale, documentation (i.e. GIA cert) until after the item has been paid.

What do you pay off of? I can't remember a time when I did not receive some sort of "invoice" to pay any bill - even wire transfers. I had a wire transfer gone bad (bank paid twice by accident). Had I not had a hard copy of what *should have been paid*, I would have been in a bad position.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve made purchases from three of the vendors that advertise here, and with all three of them I''ve received an email documenting the specifics of the items I''m purchasing that includes, among other things, the agreed purchase price. I''ve always asked for confirmation when my payment was received and gotten that, too via email. A paper receipt always accompanies the items when they arrive.

Sozekeyserman

Rough_Rock
Fire&Ice,

I agree with you completely. I find it odd that this is normal practice. I have nothing other than an oral agreement stating what I get for my transfered money, not to mention the seller doesn''t have a written statement asking how much I should pay! This coupled with the fact that wired money is similar to cash, makes me concerned! This invoice I''m requesting clearly indicates what I should pay, and what I should receive in return. I''m not too familiar with point of sale law, but it seems to me this would make sense. Not to mention protect both the seller and the buyer from mal intent on the part of either party.

A side note is that this vendor is a member of the Jewelers Vigilance Committee, who lists on this webpage that all sellers should "list all the information given in writing".

Even though my particular concern is answered, what do other folks take on this issue?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
How are they giving you the routing information? Seems like a lot of information to be left up to verbal.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it should be a given that you get something like an invoice that states that you are agreeing to purchase said product for said price.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Just to clarify, have you had any confirmation from the vendor via email regarding the transaction? Or are you looking for something else? I would think that a printout of a confirmation email or invoice would protect you in most circumstances. I''m not sure how a bank wire transfer works. I''ve only used either credit card or bank card to pay for anything I''ve purchased online.

Sozekeyserman

Rough_Rock
FnI - Routing information is listed on the website. Diamond info on every aspect is also listed on the website.

Belle - I agree this should be a given too. I am receiving a written confirmation with basic diamond info (4''cs, GIA ID), purchase price, shipment method and estimated date of shipment.

The thing that shocked me the most is that i called the vendor asking for this invoice before posting the thread topic. The vendor seemed surprised by her tone of voice that I was asking for this, and mentioned that their policy is to send information after the purchase, not before. Perhaps I asked a new employee this question? I know when I then emailed the sales person I was working with all along (after reading Mara''s post), he said it wouldn''t be a problem.

Soze

Sozekeyserman

Rough_Rock
Edit: Included additional info

Suzi - No email confirmation yet, but after inquiring they will oblige. The information I had before I posted this was only oral, over the telephone. I did have the diamond stats and ID number, as well as the routing number and purchase price; all this was posted on their website.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was just speaking to the invoice before purchase...I never did wire transfer or anything so I have no idea how that works.

But then again I tend to do everything via email esp re: pricing and all that, so I just figure I am covered re: things like costs and what I am asking for etc.

It may sound trusting but I also know that the PS vendors will take care of us!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2005 6:26:04 PM
Author: Sozekeyserman
Suzi - No email confirmation yet, but after inquiring they will oblige. The information I had before I posted this was only oral, over the telephone. I did have the diamond stats and ID number, as well as the routing number, all this was posted on their website.
My opinion would be that if you get the information you need in the response email, that''s all the invoice you should need. I would think they will send you price, stats on the diamond, and shipping information. Usually these vendors use FedEx, and will send you a tracking number when they ship the stone. I would also ask for a confirmation that the vendor received your payment.

I always save a copy of the email to a file, and print out a copy.

Sozekeyserman

Rough_Rock
Edit: Added additional reply.

Mara, I didn't have an email stating pricing, etc. All I had was an e-mail saying they were going to be receiving a X ct, Y color and Z clarity stone, for "roughly" $Q. That was before the vendor even had the stone in their possession. Then all info was listed on the website in addition to being discussed orally. Based on that info, I decided to purchase the stone.

Suzi - Yep, problems been solved without any problems what-so-ever. I was just wondering what other people's take on this particular subject were.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2005 6:40:33 PM
Author: Sozekeyserman
Edit: Added additional reply.

Mara, I didn''t have an email stating pricing, etc. All I had was an e-mail saying they were going to be receiving a X ct, Y color and Z clarity stone, for ''roughly'' $Q. That was before the vendor even had the stone in their possession. Then all info was listed on the website in addition to being discussed orally. Based on that info, I decided to purchase the stone.

Suzi - Yep, problems been solved without any problems what-so-ever. I was just wondering what other people''s take on this particular subject were.
Good! Can''t wait to hear what you think when you get your diamond! Let us know (and show us pictures, please) when you get it!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2005 5:27:13 PM
Author: sjz
I've made purchases from three of the vendors that advertise here, and with all three of them I've received an email documenting the specifics of the items I'm purchasing that includes, among other things, the agreed purchase price. I've always asked for confirmation when my payment was received and gotten that, too via email. A paper receipt always accompanies the items when they arrive.
ditto........................the vendor's i've dealt with send an invoice with the wire or payment instructions...........it doesnt sound right

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hmm did u get it yet?
I recall u being nervous about it. Hmm Just send them an email saying I "state your name" am sending "state their name" a wire tranfer for "7000" for a natural pear diamond, 1.2 carat, vs2, f stone measuring blah blah blah. Gia report # 11111. That completely covers your ass/money in writting.

Then mount it and show us a pic!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I believe it was the great Ronald Regan who used the phrase- "trust, but verify."
Even though it''s likely you are in a very safe position with a PS vendor- it''s still good to make sure everyone , and everything agree

It''s a verygood idea to request an invoice prior to paying.
An invoice should spell out
1) the specific item you are buying. Identifying the quality, any reports that will be included- and of course the price.
2) shipping info
3) return/exchange/trade up policies.

Verifying all of these facts is crucial to making sure the deal is correct.
I heartily reccomend people look at this stuff before committing to pay.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
I would consider that an invoice. The email confirmation you received from WF. I received the same thing when I wired my money over. Don''t worry, they are a very trustworthy company. If anything goes wrong, they''ll take care of you.

And might I say...3.7ct? wow! I can''t wait to see pics of that baby! Post them ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results