shape
carat
color
clarity

Normal for diamond to get scratch up during the setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

piggy

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I just receive a diamond mounted on setting from BlueNile. Diamond is graded at VS2. However, I have access to a 8x microscope and notice that an area close by the prone is scratch up. With naked eye, it''s looks like a tiny white speck. Is this typical for a VS2 diamond?

When I called the customer service, they basically told me that it''s usual that the diamond get marked up during the mounting process and that they can''t do anything to help me except to return the ring. And it doesn''t matter that I exchange it for a different diamond or a ring, they can''t help if the diamond get a "microscopic" incursion during the mounting process -- and this is an "industry standard".

Is my expectation too much? or is he just blowing some hot air hoping that I''ll be content with what I have?

Obviously, this is my first diamond purchase... so I don''t know what''s the norm, and I have to imagine that there''s some truth to that, as not everyone have access to a microscope. Thanks.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure you are not looking at an inclusion?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like hot air to me. Diamonds can get scratched, but more likely, they scratch other things. A chip is more likely than a scratch.

But yeah, are you sure it isn''t an inclusion? Or just dirt? Double check what the report says. Clean the stone as much as possible. It''s amazing to see under a loupe just how dirty a diamond can get with minimal handling.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are pricescopers who are much more expert in this area than I, but I don't think that that is "normal." It seems to me that damage to the stone during setting would simply indicate carelessness on the part of the setter. I could be wrong though!

If it were me (depending how noticeable this "speck" is), I would take them up on their offer to accept it as a return, and take my business elsewhere (many--if not all--of the Pricescope vendors have superior quality to BlueNile anyway, from what I've seen).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can we see the cert, could it be a feather or other inclusion that you are seeing?? That seems more likely to me than a scratch??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to take it to an appraiser ASAP.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately that cert doesn't have the inclusion map - it just says that the inclusion is a crystal. If it's a VS2, I would think the crystal would appear somewhere in the table's field, not close to the edge of the diamond. Hmmm... There is no mention on the cert that there is a natural indent, so if it's not dust, hmm.... Is there an image of the un-mounted diamond on the website? What if you rub your fingernail over the spot - does it feel like a divot? Or does it feel smooth?

I guess the bottom line is - is this something you can live with or does it really bother you? If it bothers you, that feeling will not go away and you should return the diamond. Taking it to an appraiser is a good idea - in my area, this costs about $85 per piece. I feel your frustration with this.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 5:33:10 PM
Author:piggy
Hi,

I just receive a diamond mounted on setting from BlueNile. Diamond is graded at VS2. However, I have access to a 8x microscope and notice that an area close by the prone is scratch up. With naked eye, it''s looks like a tiny white speck. Is this typical for a VS2 diamond?
I never heard of a diamond getting "scratched" during mounting but far from it that i''m an expert on the subject.

A "scratch" is external, it will catch if you run a needle by the area, an inclusion is only internal. check it out.

the cert only mentions a crystal not a feather so would a crystal look like a "scratch"???

could it be it''s the miliness created in from incandescent or sunlight resulting from the medium blue?

DBM

Shiny_Rock
One other thought. are you sure it''s not a stray piece of paper from the polishing. Often after polishing small fragments of white paper can get caught under the prongs....

piggy

Rough_Rock
whew! I think it was some junk that got stuck to the rock....I was able to rub most of it off before I put it on the scope again. And I could see (or rather NOT see) that spot. So perhaps whoever was polishing the ring was half asleep.

So I''m going to keep the ring. Besides, I would really hate to return it, as that would be a pretty big blow to my plans. I''ll be leaving US next Thus, and just don''t have the time for another exchange or whatever.

As promised, here''s a pic of the ring

img0247rp0.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very nice.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is beautiful and I am happy that it turned out not to be a scratch.

What disturbs me is the answer Blue Nile gave you--that it is industry standard for stones to get scratched during setting. If this were the case, there would be many people here complaining about scratched stones.

It is unfortunate that the person you spoke with gave you additional stress with this unacceptable answer instead of giving you the suggestions that people here gave you which seem to have resolved your problem.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE; Scratching a diamond

Only another diamond will scratch a diamond. It is not impossible to have this happen in the setting process unless the setter handles it extremely carelessly.

This could happen if the stone comes in contact with another diamond in an ultrasonic basket, but still fairly unlikely.

As for using non-gemological microscopes.......... the lighting source is rather critical. It needs to have dark field illumination. Most medical type scopes do not have this type of lighting. But some do.

However, the answer from BN''s customer service certainly IS NOT factual.

Rockdoc

piggy

Rough_Rock
Definitely big thanks to all your help and insight!
36.gif

And I agree, that bn service rep was just bad, and really sour the otherwise great experience I have with bn. I can understand if someone may not have the expertise as the folks here to recommend some of the suggestion given. But it could have been a much more pleasant experience if he would stand behind their quality and workmanship. Instead, he brush it off as a part of the process, causing me to be even more nervous about buying jewelry online.
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results