carat
color
clarity

Nordstrom is dropping Ivanka Trumps Line in their stores

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1486416864|4125010 said:
Politics is weaving its way into everything, more so than normal. Whatever the reason for her being dropped, it is their prerogative.

I first learned of #grabyourwallet when they added one of my favorite stores, LL Bean, because one of the Bean family members, not the company, donated to Trump. Now I use it as a list of where to SPEND my money.

yes, it can go both ways. I still remember when Heinz was being "boycotted" because Kerry's wife was the Heinz heiress.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy said:
yes, it can go both ways. I still remember when Heinz was being "boycotted" because Kerry's wife was the Heinz heiress.

FTR: I did not boycott her ketchup (though I thought/still think her hubs is a buffoon); I just prefer to dip my fries in ranch dressing. :lickout:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486437827|4125195 said:
part gypsy said:

FTR: I did not boycott her ketchup (though I thought/still think her hubs is a buffoon); I just prefer to dip my fries in ranch dressing. :lickout:

I didn't either. I think boycotts like that are silly.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66 said:

I also don't boycott .22lr, .380 & 9mm. 8-)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486439001|4125207 said:
redwood66 said:

I also don't boycott .22lr, .380 & 9mm. 8-)

:lol: That Dillon hubby got for Christmas is going to come in handy.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like Trump and Spicer have something to say about Nordstrom dropping Ivanka. Wah, wah, wah. So inappropriate.

Trump Slams Nordstrom Six Days After It Drops Ivanka Line

President Donald J. Trump hit back at Nordstrom this morning on Twitter after the retailer said it wasn't buying his daughter Ivanka's clothing line for this season.

"My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom," wrote Trump. "She is a great person — always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!"

Follow
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person -- always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!
10:51 AM - 8 Feb 2017
17,446 17,446 Retweets 85,644 85,644 likes
"This is a direct attack on his policies and her name," Trump's press secretary Sean Spicer later said of Nordstrom's move during an afternoon press conference.

The tweet was sent at 10:51 a.m., twenty-one minutes after the president's daily intelligence briefing was scheduled to start.

Spicer said the president was "free at the time" when he tweeted.

The official Twitter account of the president, @POTUS, also retweeted the posting from his personal @realDonaldTrump account.

Follow
MSNBC ✔ @MSNBC
Spicer addresses Trump Nordstrom tweet: “This is a direct attack on his policies and her name”
2:15 PM - 8 Feb 2017
93 93 Retweets 119 119 likes
The blowup comes six days after Nordstrom announced it would not order Ivanka's collection this season. The luxury department store chain denied that the move was in response to a #GrabYourWallet campaign orchestrated to get the store to stop carrying Ivanka Trump's brand in protest of her father's policies.

Nordstrom didn't respond to a request for comment. In a statement last week Nordstrom it said it routinely trims brands each year and "in this case, based on the brand's performance we've decided not to buy it for this season."

A spokesperson for Ivanka Trump told NBC News that the brand had been selling well and the move was in response to pressure from advocacy groups -- a claim Nordstrom denied.

"This was absolutely not political — it was exclusively based on the performance of the brand," a Nordstrom spokesperson told apparel site Refinery29. "Simply put, the performance has been difficult over the past year."

The retailer also denied that the move was related to an internal memo offering support and resources to employees affected by Trump's travel ban sent the day before.

The Ivanka Trump spokesperson that though the shoe order had been canceled and the line was pulled from the website, some of the spring collection would still be sold in stores. In a tweet Nordstrom said customers will still see Ivanka Trump product in stores until it sells out.

Other retailers have recently stepped back from carrying Ivanka Trump products. Neiman Marcus has stopped selling her jewelry on its website. TJ Maxx on Wednesday instructed employees to toss Ivanka Trump signage into the garbage and mix her clothes in with their regular sales racks, the New York Times reported.

Trump's tweet appeared in the middle of a news cycle that has Trump's travel ban on majority Muslim countries facing a skeptical federal appeals court. Democratic Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren and her colleagues were also catching airtime as they objected to Warren being silenced in a Senate debate.

It will likely draw fresh attention to concerns over potential entanglements between Trump's family businesses and his presidential power.

Democratic Pennsylvania Senator Bob Casey retweeted Trump, adding "CC: @OfficeGovEthics."

Follow
Senator Bob Casey ✔ @SenBobCasey
CC: @OfficeGovEthics https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/829356871848951809
10:58 AM - 8 Feb 2017
7,066 7,066 Retweets 12,658 12,658 likes
"It's an example of why Donald Trump and his family needed to step away, needed to make a more definitive break, and I think it's an abuse of the office of the presidency," Norman Eisen, former special counsel on ethics to the Obama Administration told MSNBC.

"He's putting the bully in the bully pulpit to attack this company on dubious factual assertions in order to promote his daughter."

It's not the first time a single Trump tweet targeting a company has set off a firestorm. He sent Lockheed Martin's stock nose-diving when he tweeted about its F-35 fighter cost overruns and told people to go buy L.L. Bean after it drew criticism after the founder's granddaughter donated to one of the political action committees that supported his campaign.

The Trump social media effect is such that in the runup to the inauguration companies were recycling previously announced U.S. jobs in order to avoid his wrath, critics charged, in order to give him something to take credit for and tweet about.

Nordstrom's stock briefly ticked down after the President's tweet, then recovered.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/trumps-slams-nordstrom-six-days-after-it-drops-ivanka-line-n718396

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
His base doesn't shop Nordstrom for the most part; I don't know why he cares at all except he knows if he fans this flame it will make the Trumps seem more relatable. Snooty Nordstrom turning up their nose at his beautiful daughter's line of apparel/footwear? Yuck, only snobs shop there. (I'm talking about your average rural Wal-Mart shopper here, not R's who live near a Nordstrom.) The dude is brilliant. And by brilliant I mean he knows how to manipulate the masses.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump definitely should not be tweeting about this issue.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump seemingly has more free time than I do. Wouldn't he rather be doing anything else? He must be tired of this farce, maybe he's not sure how to back out?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to mention that it is ENTIRELY inappropriate for him to be using his platform as POTUS to talk about his daughter's clothing/shoe line! Gah! Also, Spicer mentioned it as well. I am appalled that this isn't a larger issue.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She needs to design for her daddy's voters ... the people of Walmart.
They could use a bit of fashion advice.

screen_shot_2017-02-08_at_3.png

screen_shot_2017-02-08_at_0.png

screen_shot_2017-02-08_at_1.png

screen_shot_2017-02-08_at_2.png

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1486594983|4126230 said:
Trump seemingly has more free time than I do. Wouldn't he rather be doing anything else? He must be tired of this farce, maybe he's not sure how to back out?

So if you go by the old "believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see" like I do, then you deduce that there is no way DJT himself is making all these tweets. I would love to be proven wrong but not even my 75 year old mother who loves the internet and will post on Facebook all day long is capable of up to 10 posts a day! I am seriously starting to think we're all being trolled.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1486597372|4126246 said:

So if you go by the old "believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see" like I do, then you deduce that there is no way DJT himself is making all these tweets. I would love to be proven wrong but not even my 75 year old mother who loves the internet and will post on Facebook all day long is capable of up to 10 posts a day! I am seriously starting to think we're all being trolled.

I think Howard Stern made a good observation. Trump wants people to love him and cheer for him and the backlash baffles him, so he needs to lash out in bursts and twitter is the perfect platform.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1486597372|4126246 said:

Perhaps he has the time because Pence is the one running the country in the background.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486275312|4124453 said:
AGBF said:
I am rather appalled that you can feel I am personally doing something wrong, or have some moral flaw. I feel that this is the way the world works and that it is naive not to realize it. One has to hit Trump in his pocketbook. That is what he would do. I am absolutely not doing it out of vindictiveness, but out of patriotism and a desire to defend the Constitution.

I am also defending the Constitution from an illegal attempt by the president to ban refugees of specific national origin by executive order.

It is BECAUSE I 'know' you (on here) to always looking out for people, that I am surprised your disgust for one man somehow justifies potentially harming the lives of tens of thousands of innocent people, just like how you object to this one 'law' that ALSO effects tens of thousands of innocent people.

In essence, what you suggested is doing the nearly the same thing as Chump (minus the EO) - crushing many to make your point. THAT is not the person I thought you to be.

mary poppins|1486591437|4126206 said:
Looks like Trump and Spicer have something to say about Nordstrom dropping Ivanka. Wah, wah, wah. So inappropriate.

Trump Slams Nordstrom Six Days After It Drops Ivanka Line

President Donald J. Trump hit back at Nordstrom this morning on Twitter after the retailer said it wasn't buying his daughter Ivanka's clothing line for this season.

"My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom," wrote Trump. "She is a great person — always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!"

Follow
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
My daughter Ivanka has been treated so unfairly by @Nordstrom. She is a great person -- always pushing me to do the right thing! Terrible!
10:51 AM - 8 Feb 2017
17,446 17,446 Retweets 85,644 85,644 likes
"This is a direct attack on his policies and her name," Trump's press secretary Sean Spicer later said of Nordstrom's move during an afternoon press conference.

The tweet was sent at 10:51 a.m., twenty-one minutes after the president's daily intelligence briefing was scheduled to start.

Spicer said the president was "free at the time" when he tweeted.

The official Twitter account of the president, @POTUS, also retweeted the posting from his personal @realDonaldTrump account."

I was going to leave this thread alone after my exchange with Jenn above because I felt I had nothing more to say that was useful and I didn't want to argue for the sake of arguing. Since then, however, Donald Trump's open acknowledgement that Ivanka's line in Nordstrom, on the president's Internet computer line, which is what a "Tweet" is, has shown that he is affected by how the American people treat her clothing line. In other words, we now have empirical evidence that we can reach the President of The United States through Ivanka's clothing line. It is not true that Trump will be unaffected by a boycott and only "little people" will be hurt.

Making one's voice heard to power is not a small thing. Men have died to make their voices heard. Men have died for freedom of speech and the right to vote. It is not a tiny freedom which should easily be cast aside. Choosing to spend one's money to affect Donald Trump 's attitude, to get his attention, is important. He has to learn that the American people have become unhappy with him.

AGBF

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1486645303|4126471 said:
He has to learn that the American people have become unhappy with him.

AGBF

Do you really think for a second he doesn't know there is a large part of the country who is 'unhappy with him'? :lol:

There is always a large portion of the country (and the world) unhappy with the president - regardless of who/what party it is; that's how elections work - people vote, one person wins, and (hopefully) does what he was elected to do; then we get to do it all over again in four years. :dance:

I'm already nauseous thinking about another election in 2020 (not because "Chump"; but because this past cycle was just so taxing on people as a whole). :sick:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He has to learn that the American people have become unhappy with him. AGBF
He thinks they are paid by his opponents to act as such.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486649193|4126500 said:
He has to learn that the American people have become unhappy with him.

AGBF

Do you really think for a second he doesn't know there is a large part of the country who is 'unhappy with him'? :lol:
No, I do not. This is proven by his delusions.

Delusion number one: "I won by one of the largest landslides in history."

Delusion number two: "I had one of the largest inauguration crowds in history."

Delusion number three: "It was widespread voter fraud that caused me to lose the popular vote."

In his mind, everyone actually loves him.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:knockout:

screen_shot_2017-02-09_at_8.png

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1486658038|4126562 said:
Gorgeous.

It's ok, just as long as HE is doing it. We liberals need to get with the program!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for those who are still giving him a chance....

newstoday.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1486658454|4126564 said:

Please tell me what kind of answer you want to this? Or was it just rhetorical because you hate him so? Not trying to fight, but smitcompton (Annette) had a very astute post yesterday about the president doing anything unconstitutional. Those that voted for him and ones that would have had it been necessary (like me) voted for him to do the things he campaigned on. Because he is a booby and tweets irritating things does not change that fact.

:wavey:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1486659013|4126566 said:

Please tell me what kind of answer you want to this? Or was it just rhetorical because you hate him so? Not trying to fight, but smitcompton (Annette) had a very astute post yesterday about the president doing anything unconstitutional. Those that voted for him and ones that would have had it been necessary (like me) voted for him to do the things he campaigned on. Because he is a booby and tweets irritating things does not change that fact.

I would like him to put his focus on the people of N.O., instead of his daughter. I would like him to care about the dead. I would like him to start acting like an elegant and qualified president, instead of Justin Bieber or Kanye.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1486659300|4126570 said:

I would like him to put his focus on the people of N.O., instead of his daughter. I would like him to care about the dead. I would like him to start acting like an elegant and qualified president, instead of Justin Bieber or Kanye.

And I understand that tweeting, though I wish it would, will likely not stop. Elegant? Have you had enough coffee this morning? :lol:

Though I do think he cares about the dead and in his own idiotic way loves this country. He has communication issues. He is a booby.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Her line has not sold well since it's inception. I am actually surprised the line has lasted in any store, even TJMaxx or Marshalls, where it's been almost since launch and still hasn't sold, as long as it has. It just doesn't sell, especially not to its "target demographic" of young professionals and young working moms, who, in general, cannot afford the prices, especially at the cost to quality ratio she has going on. These lines, even her "fine jewelry" line, have never been her passion, despite what she says. Because if they were, she'd be involved in the products and have a bigger hand in the manufacture, vs having her name licensed to two mass production branding houses that make the same items in the same fabrics and cuts and just sew different brand tags into the same garments like she does.

There have always been lookieloo sales when things would launch at various new stores/sites, but given than it's identical to other lines the manufacturers (Marc Fisher and GIII Apparel) just with her name tag stitched in and a markup nearly 5x what any of the other lines they brand are priced at, simply because it's her name, why would anyone choose her line over those if they didn't deliberately want her name in their garment or accessory or whatever print she used on the fabric that is likely the exact same as one of the others? A trench coat she labeled might be $450, but the LITERAL exact thing might be labeled under another name for $130. Which would you choose? I sure as hell would not choose hers even prior to this mess, because $450 for something that is identical to the $130 one (which is still ridiculously overpriced for the inferior quality) is like lighting money on fire.

So people can argue til they're blue in the face that these are political decisions, and yes, the timing is certainly convenient, but this is the time that stores buy the Fall collections, and if they see poor sales, repeatedly, and the new collection is crap, why would they keep a line that does not sell, simply to keep the President's daughter happy, especially given her repeated issues with plagiarism? It was a matter of time, and again, I am actually surprised it's lasted this long.

Dee*Jay|1486167295|4123960 said:
ruby59|1486166689|4123947 said:
Calliecake|1486164043|4123908 said:
They are saying they are dropping he line due to poor sales. I was in Nordstrom a few days ago and the sales associate brought out a pair of Ivanka's shoes along with the other pair I asked to see. I told the sales associate thank you, but there was no way I would support that family in any way. He said he hears that remark more often than any other.

Most everything at Nordstrom is way overpriced.

At my mall, I see many people use the store as a cut through to get to into the mall.

Store is always empty.

Go to the store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago and it will be far from empty. I shop there and pretty much everybody I know does too. The CB's daughter worked there for a few years after college before she got her first "real" job. Somebody must have been buying something based on her paychecks.
That store is CHAOS pretty much at all times. But I have never been to a Nordstrom that is empty unless there was some kind of ridiculous weather event like "the ice storm that wasn't" a few weeks ago. If I need to go, I try to go right at opening or forget it. I tend to order as much as I can online, or by texting my regular SA(s) to order for me.

katharath|1486232320|4124281 said:
JoCoJenn|1486231784|4124274 said:
There are so many glaring differences in those shoes it's not funny ... and I am not even a fashionista in the least!

Are they similar? Yes. Identical, hardly.

Did anyone here call them identical?

To my knowledge they don't have to be "identical" for Ivanka to be guilty of stealing their designs.
From a graphic design perspective--as in my background--something you're "inspired by" will be considered plagiarized in most lawsuits if it cannot be proven to be at least 20% different than the original. These will likely be settled cases, but there's no way these designs are more than 20% different. 5-10%, maybe, and I am being generous.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1486659480|4126572 said:

And I understand that tweeting, though I wish it would, will likely not stop. Elegant? Have you had enough coffee this morning? :lol:

Though I do think he cares about the dead and in his own idiotic way loves this country. He has communication issues. He is a booby.
That's so funny that you mention it...I'm quitting coffee. :lol: But I have had tea!

There are experts that can help the man to communicate some sympathy to the people who are suffering in N.O. Isn't he supposed to view the area or at least declare a national disaster?

We have to stop making excuses for him. He isn't our drug addict cousin who can't "read good." He's the President of the United States. He needs to be held to a higher standard now.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like him to put his focus on the people of N.O., instead of his daughter. I would like him to care about the dead. I would like him to start acting like an elegant and qualified president, instead of Justin Bieber or Kanye.[/quote]
He won't have time for any noble deeds because he's too busy defending himself against the many lawsuits stemming from allegations of the unconstitutionality of some of his policies and his many conflicts of interest. I'm hoping K. Conjob's urging people to buy Ivanka's stuff earns her at least a slap on the wrist as it appears to be an ethics violation which is itself an irony seeing as how most of his cabinet emulates his lack of ethics.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1486659672|4126575 said:
redwood66|1486659480|4126572 said:

That's so funny that you mention it...I'm quitting coffee. :lol: But I have had tea!

There are experts that can help the man to communicate some sympathy to the people who are suffering in N.O. Isn't he supposed to view the area or at least declare a national disaster?

We have to stop making excuses for him. He isn't our drug addict cousin who can't "read good." He's the President of the United States. He needs to be held to a higher standard now.

I agree, which is why I contacted the White House this morning. There is nothing more I can do than voice my opinion where it will do the most good.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For one moment ... humor me, please, and put aside your political bias/beliefs/etc. about the prez, the people who voted for him, and all platforms on both sides.

Every other president in this country's history has fit a certain 'mold' - polished, reserved, predictable politicians. Many came from political families, or started out in politics on a local level. They learned the rules early on, and played the game according to those 'rules to get to the 'top'. Wash, rinse & repeat.

This president is none those things - AT ALL (and I'd say that if he was a dem, black, Asian, etc). Chump is like Rodney Dangerfield at Bushfield Country Club, NY-Vinny in an Alabama courtroom; Cousin Eddie visiting Clark & Ellen for Christmas. He is a new pair of jeans that are not as comfy as the older pair you already have - even for me!

Think back to our history. When women were first allowed to vote, blacks no longer had assigned seats and drinking fountains, when you first had to use a computer to draft a document vs. a typewriter or pen/paper, the first time you saw a gay couple hold hands in public. These 'new normals' were not normal at the time; they were 'uncomfortable' for some; it was not what people had known their entire lives, and it takes time to accept change in what they had come to expect, know, behave, etc. But over time, all of these 'new normals' ... our prejudices of what or how we 'thought it should be' ... were overcome. And we're better for it, wouldn't you say?

I'm not saying that you must/should accept it or him, or agree with his positions on things; not at all. Just accept that he is not 'normal'; his ways of doing things, saying things, etc. is not 'normal'. That does not make them wrong necessarily; it just means we're seeing another possible 'new normal' in the world of U.S. politics ... one where someone chooses to 'communicate' a new way (albeit also 'not normal' :lol:) given advances & availability of technology vs. waiting for the press; where someone doesn't want to squeeze himself into the "politician" mold that sparks as many jokes nowadays as lawyers & blondes; where we may begin seeing more 'average Joes' in politics than 'uncle Joes'.

I KNOW change isn't easy, especially when it's so very opposite of your own ideas of what 'normal' is supposed to be. But just think for a moment about those historical 'changes', and how our lives are better for it. And hopefully, find some peace in knowing that RARELY does the 'prototype' end up ever being the 'best version' of something; it's usually the worst. ;-)

That's all. :wavey:

tunnel_vision.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump being not-usual is not the problem.

The problem is he's bad.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results