shape
carat
color
clarity

Nordstrom is dropping Ivanka Trumps Line in their stores

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are saying they are dropping he line due to poor sales. I was in Nordstrom a few days ago and the sales associate brought out a pair of Ivanka's shoes along with the other pair I asked to see. I told the sales associate thank you, but there was no way I would support that family in any way. He said he hears that remark more often than any other.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a similar reaction at Macy's a few weeks ago when I was looking at coats. There was a cute down puffer (almost impossible to achieve as most of them make you look like the Michelin Man!) but I dropped that thing like it was shot when I saw the label. You couldn't have given it to me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And realistically, its all chinese made AND, ends up at TJMaxx or Marshalls pretty darn quick. Not worth buying at full price. I don't own any of her pieces, not my asthetic, but they look for the most part, slightly higher priced than the crap at forever 21.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an article from the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/business/nordstrom-ivanka-trump.html

ETA: I bolded the wording below about Macy's dropping Trump's line myself, it was not like that in the article. Interesting -- I did not know that. I also bolded the line including #GrabYourWallet to call attention to that too.

Ivanka Trump stilettos will soon be harder to find at Nordstrom.

The department store chain said on Thursday that it had decided to put the brakes on its relationship with Ms. Trump and removed her brand from a list on its site. “We’ve said all along we make buying decisions based on performance,” Nordstrom said in a statement. “In this case, based on the brand’s performance, we’ve decided not to buy it for this season,” referring to the spring.

A spokesman for the brand disputed Nordstrom’s assertion that it had not bought clothes for the coming season.

The move comes amid an effort by what is called the #GrabYourWallet campaign to encourage shoppers to boycott products with ties to President Trump, his family and his donors.

In November, Nordstrom defended its decision to sell Ms. Trump’s products. “We hope that offering a vendor’s products isn’t misunderstood as us taking a political position,” the company wrote on Twitter on Nov. 2. “We’re not.”

Racked, a fashion news site, reported earlier on Thursday that there was a sharp decline of Ivanka Trump products on Nordstrom’s website.

Nordstrom predominantly carries Ivanka Trump’s line of shoes, which are licensed by Marc Fisher footwear. As of Thursday afternoon, only four items remained on the website: three pairs of shoes and one dress, all marked down 40 percent.

“Big news everyone. You did this. I am in awe,” Shannon Coulter, a co-founder of the #GrabYourWallet campaign, posted on Twitter Thursday.

Ms. Trump licenses her name to partners who manufacture her various branded products. Her brand makes the largest share of its revenue from licensed clothing. Shoes and handbags are also large parts of her business. In 2014, Ms. Trump earned a 6.5 percent royalty through her deal with Marc Fisher, according to company documents obtained by The New York Times, although that fee was probably renegotiated.

Ms. Trump’s handbags are licensed by Mondani and are carried by Macy’s, which dropped her father’s dress shirts and accessories in 2015 after he described Mexican immigrants as “killers” and “rapists.” Her clothing, which is made by the G-III Apparel Group, is sold at retailers including Saks off 5th.

Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry had its own sprawling location in Manhattan for several years, but was not profitable enough to stay open and shuttered in 2015. A small store now sells her jewelry in the lobby of Trump Tower.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an excerpt from an on-line article about how it occurred. My brother was just telling me this morning that his daughter (my niece) was among the many people who cancelled her Uber subscription as part of the Trump boycott, causing Uber to drop out as Trump's advisor. We have power with our pocketbooks!

"A group called 'Grab Your Wallet' that is inspiring boycotts against any businesses affiliated with President Donald Trump has reportedly succeeded in getting clothing retailer Nordstrom to drop Ivanka Trump’s clothing line."

"According to the Associated Press, 'Grab Your Wallet' has spent the last week calling for a boycott of retailers that carry either Donald Trump or Ivanka Trump merchandise.

...​

Nordstrom got the attention of the “Grab Your Wallet” campaign as one of the first retail outlets to partner with Ivanka on her shoe line when it debuted in 2011. Once the call for Trump boycotts started, Co-President Pete Nordstrom addressed the controversy, saying, 'This is a sharply divisive subject. No matter what we do, we are going to end up disappointing some of our customers. Every single brand we offer is evaluated on their results — if people don’t buy it, we won’t sell it.'

Ivanka’s fashion business has also been criticized for mixing business promotion with politics. The company sent a “style alert” to journalists in November that promoted a bracelet Ivanka wore when she was interviewed on CBS’ '60 Minutes,' the Times reported.

'GrabYourWallet' — essentially a spreadsheet of businesses the campaign boycotts — launched in October 2016 after the release of what they call the 'Trump Tapes,' in which Trump made inappropriate remarks to reporter Billy Bush about grabbing women by the genitals. “A brand strategist and a grandmother simultaneously realized they could no longer in good conscience shop at retailers that do business with the Trump family,' the “Grab Your Wallet' website states, explaining how the effort started with two women who connected on Twitter to start the campaign.

The campaign’s website also notes Nordstrom’s decision to drop the first daughter’s merchandise and says 'Once the small handful of remaining items are no longer for sale, we’ll be removing Nordstrom from the #GrabYourWallet list.'”

GrabYourWallet...https://grabyourwallet.org/

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here is an excerpt of a story about the Uber boycott.

"Uber chief Travis Kalanick has resigned from US president Donald Trump's business advisory council after a bruising few days in which it was reported that hundreds of thousands of customers had deleted their accounts in protest at the firm's apparent cosiness with the US government.

In an e-mail to Uber employees on Thursday, Kalanick admitted that he was stepping back from the president's strategic and policy forum because the company was being widely perceived as "somehow endorsing the administration’s agenda"—a situation which appears to be bad for business.

The perception arose last weekend, in the chaotic wake of Trump's heavily criticised executive order to prevent the citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US. As sudden protests broke out in light of the travel ban, the New York Taxi Workers' Alliance—many of whose members are working class immigrants and Muslims—announced it would cease pickups at the city's main airport hub, JFK.

Shortly afterwards, in a move that was condemned by some as strike-breaking, privately-held Uber announced it would remove surge pricing—the surcharge it applies to its rates at busy periods—for rides from the airport.

That prompted some of the anger from Trump protesters to also be directed at the taxi app, which was valued at a whopping $62.5 billion (£50 billion) last summer. According to the New York Times, a Twitter hashtag campaign to #DeleteUber resulted in more than 200,000 people deleting their accounts."

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1486164043|4123908 said:
They are saying they are dropping he line due to poor sales. I was in Nordstrom a few days ago and the sales associate brought out a pair of Ivanka's shoes along with the other pair I asked to see. I told the sales associate thank you, but there was no way I would support that family in any way. He said he hears that remark more often than any other.

Most everything at Nordstrom is way overpriced.

At my mall, I see many people use the store as a cut through to get to into the mall.

Store is always empty.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1486166431|4123941 said:
And here is an excerpt of a story about the Uber boycott.

"Uber chief Travis Kalanick has resigned from US president Donald Trump's business advisory council after a bruising few days in which it was reported that hundreds of thousands of customers had deleted their accounts in protest at the firm's apparent cosiness with the US government.

In an e-mail to Uber employees on Thursday, Kalanick admitted that he was stepping back from the president's strategic and policy forum because the company was being widely perceived as "somehow endorsing the administration’s agenda"—a situation which appears to be bad for business.

The perception arose last weekend, in the chaotic wake of Trump's heavily criticised executive order to prevent the citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US. As sudden protests broke out in light of the travel ban, the New York Taxi Workers' Alliance—many of whose members are working class immigrants and Muslims—announced it would cease pickups at the city's main airport hub, JFK.

Shortly afterwards, in a move that was condemned by some as strike-breaking, privately-held Uber announced it would remove surge pricing—the surcharge it applies to its rates at busy periods—for rides from the airport.

That prompted some of the anger from Trump protesters to also be directed at the taxi app, which was valued at a whopping $62.5 billion (£50 billion) last summer. According to the New York Times, a Twitter hashtag campaign to #DeleteUber resulted in more than 200,000 people deleting their accounts."

Deb, I've had the Uber conversation several times in the past few days as I live in downtown Chicago and transportation of this ilk is very much a way of life. As a matter of fact, on the way both to and from dinner last night (so two different drivers obviously) this came up in conversation. The drivers said their business has increased exponentially since this happened. I also thanked both of them for Lyft's pledge of $1,000,000 to the ACLU over the next four years. Of course the drivers have nothing to do with that but I think it's important for people who work for (or in this instance, are independent contractors for) a company know that the people using the product or service pay attention and made decisions based on the stances of the people running the organization.

As far as I'm concerned Lyft is my new ride.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1486166689|4123947 said:

At my mall, I see many people use the store as a cut through to get to into the mall.

Store is always empty.

Go to the store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago and it will be far from empty. I shop there and pretty much everybody I know does too. The CB's daughter worked there for a few years after college before she got her first "real" job. Somebody must have been buying something based on her paychecks.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shoes.com dropped Ivanka's line last November.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1486167295|4123960 said:
ruby59|1486166689|4123947 said:

Store is always empty.

Go to the store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago and it will be far from empty. I shop there and pretty much everybody I know does too. The CB's daughter worked there for a few years after college before she got her first "real" job. Somebody must have been buying something based on her paychecks.

The Nordstrom in our suburbs and the downtown Chicago stores are always packed. It's my favorite place to shop.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize that my post could be taken in a way that I didn't intend when I referenced the CB's daughter's "real" job. There are professionals in retail at every level and their jobs are very "real." My meaning was that the CB's daughter got a job in the field that she earned her degree in. That was poorly worded on my part.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy everything from Nordstrom rack. I hate to see them become political. I hope they are telling the truth.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great idea! #grabyourwallet and protest THE most influential, socially liberal person to have Chump's ear on policy matters, such as her (and hubs) recent, widely-reported opposition to rollback of LGBT rights from the Obama admin, which has been largely attributed as the primary reason for that 'idea' being flushed. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water (literally & figuratively). :lol:

As for Nordstrom's decision, I really do hope it was truly based on performance, and not politics/beliefs. Because if it's proven to be the latter, that just paves the way for businesses to also deny providing products & services for a myriad of reasons you (collectively) might not like so much.

Poorly thought-out actions have a knack for producing some seriously butt-biting consequences.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if the retailers dropping the line are doing so due to poor sales or for political reasons (although that is a chicken/egg issue -- are the sales bad because of the political affiliation...?), but I think it is reasonable to take from that that politics can have impact throughout the economy in a whole variety of ways, some of which are indirect.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven't businesses always carried products they believe in? It's not like this "paves the way" for anything, it's always been this way. Remember when the March family of Little Women wouldn't buy clothing made by child laborers? Back in October I made the decision to stop carrying Yeungling at our restaurant because of their Trump endorsement. They had every right to endorse whoever, and I had every right to send all their kegs back. If it affected them financially I'm sure they understood why and I doubt they have any regrets.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1486216918|4124192 said:
What a great idea! #grabyourwallet and protest THE most influential, socially liberal person to have Chump's ear on policy matters, such as her (and hubs) recent, widely-reported opposition to rollback of LGBT rights from the Obama admin, which has been largely attributed as the primary reason for that 'idea' being flushed.

You think we have to accept some fascism? You would have preferred us to follow Neville Chamberlain's course with Hitler? Look at how that worked out. Look at history. Tyrants only take more if you don't stand up to them. :read:

AGBF

nevillechamberlain.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay said:
I don't know if the retailers dropping the line are doing so due to poor sales or for political reasons (although that is a chicken/egg issue -- are the sales bad because of the political affiliation...?), but I think it is reasonable to take from that that politics can have impact throughout the economy in a whole variety of ways, some of which are indirect.

I would agree, Dee*Jay. I guess I am just surprised to see some of my fellow liberal citizens embracing free market principles! :clap: :clap:

AGBF said:
What a great idea! #grabyourwallet and protest THE most influential, socially liberal person to have Chump's ear on policy matters, such as her (and hubs) recent, widely-reported opposition to rollback of LGBT rights from the Obama admin, which has been largely attributed as the primary reason for that 'idea' being flushed.

You think we have to accept some fascism? You would have preferred us to follow Neville Chamberlain's course with Hitler? Look at how that worked out. Look at history. Tyrants only take more if you don't stand up to them. :read:

AGBF

:nono: I said NO such thing, and reject your far-fetched inference and twisting of my words. I simply find the irony of so many (who object to Chump) so eager to protest one of the people who may best help make the next 4-8 years a bit less "painful". But by all means, protest Ivanka and her puffy jackets & bracelets. I am not the one here complaining about his every move. :snooty:

Separately, I find the insistence to compare EVERYTHING one disagrees with to 'Hitler' quite troubling, and frankly mockingly minimizing of the ACTUAL suffering of those under his rule. Kind of insensitive & offensive, IMO, but that's your prerogative. I get "learning from history", but talk about "logical fallacies" and red herrings ... :hand:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
No worries. I voted for Trump, so I only shop at Walmart. :lol:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Agree, Jenn, the Hitler comparisons--good grief! The hyperbole isn't informative nor helpful. Easy to use, and everyone is sometimes guilty, but it shouldn't be used in any serious discussion.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1486221892|4124212 said:

You're covered then, WalMart sells many of her products.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shop at Nordstrom in a very regular basis. I told their store manager that I would not be purchasing any Ivanka Trump products and I didn't care how great they were. One thing I can control is who gets my money. Trust me Nordstrom heard this from many customers.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot86|1486223884|4124225 said:
AnnaH|1486221892|4124212 said:

You're covered then, WalMart sells many of her products.

That would be so cool!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH said:
That would be so cool!
Right! I don't have any of her stuff, but I do like her style, AND she is an advocate for women and equality. Perhaps Nordstrom's competitors who DO carry her items would like a sudden infusion of cash from purchases of her line. I may have to go shopping as soon as I feel up to it. :think:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure Ivanka was known for ripping off some high end designers. I know she had some beautiful very high heeled shoes and boots.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1486227017|4124245 said:
I'm pretty sure Ivanka was known for ripping off some high end designers. I know she had some beautiful very high heeled shoes and boots.

Yep. In 2011 she was sent a cease and desist letter when she copied a design from Derek Lam; and then last year, Aquazzura, an Italian (and much more expensive) designer sued her for copying designs. I've seen the pics of multiple shoes that she stole. They are shockingly close "replicas". She clearly stole the designs, then priced them at half as much as the real thing.

So admirable!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1486226606|4124244 said:
AnnaH said:
That would be so cool!
Right! I don't have any of her stuff, but I do like her style, AND she is an advocate for women and equality. Perhaps Nordstrom's competitors who DO carry her items would like a sudden infusion of cash from purchases of her line. I may have to go shopping as soon as I feel up to it. :think:

If you like the style of someone who rips off other people's designs, then you better get out there fast, because Neiman Marcus is dropping her too, and I'm not sure how many other "competitors" exist at that level, lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/nordstrom-drops-ivanka-trumps-clothing-collection-citing-brands/story%3Fid%3D45241255

(Link includes Neiman info).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1486227928|4124250 said:
Calliecake|1486227017|4124245 said:

Yep. In 2011 she was sent a cease and desist letter when she copied a design from Derek Lam; and then last year, Aquazurra, an Italian (and much more expensive) designer sued her for copying designs. I've seen the pics of multiple shoes that she stole. They are shockingly close "replicas". She clearly stole the designs, then priced them at half as much as the real thing.

So admirable!!

Katharath, it was Aquarzurra that I was thinking of. The design was clearly copied and I had wondered why Ivanka wasn't being sued for her design. I had purchased a pair of her high heeled boots a few years ago and liked them but now there is no way I would purchase a Trump item.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
What a great idea! #grabyourwallet and protest THE most influential, socially liberal person to have Chump's ear on policy matters, such as her (and hubs) recent, widely-reported opposition to rollback of LGBT rights from the Obama admin, which has been largely attributed as the primary reason for that 'idea' being flushed. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water (literally & figuratively). :lol:

As for Nordstrom's decision, I really do hope it was truly based on performance, and not politics/beliefs. Because if it's proven to be the latter, that just paves the way for businesses to also deny providing products & services for a myriad of reasons you (collectively) might not like so much.

Poorly thought-out actions have a knack for producing some seriously butt-biting consequences.

I'm not going to celebrate the fact that a president is so ill informed, he needs a daughter roughly 35 yrs younger to tell him what's appropriate and what isn't. We have such a poor president, he needs help from his children to figure out what's right and what's wrong.

That's SAD. But if you want to think of that as a good thing, I've no doubt that my words won't change your mind.

As far as businesses being able to make decisions about the products they sell; they absolutely have that right. It's not discrimination to not carry a product in your store; no one can FORCE a business owner to carry their products. Discrimination enters in when you decide if you will only sell that product to certain people. So I think Nordstrom and NM will be just fine, but I'm sure they appreciate your concern.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results