shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-Stretch Jeans -- Do They Still Exist?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
As in, 100% cotton denim, NO lycra, spandex, and their ill-designed cousins? I just threw out a perfectly good pair of Levis because I'm sick & tired of having them stretch out -- 2 hrs after taking them out of the dryer, I'm hauling the darn things up every 15 minutes. I HATE STRETCH JEANS!

Does anyone know if they're made in 100% cotton anymore, anywhere? This last pair had 2% lycra but it was enough for them to drive me crazy! Help!!

Thanks for letting me rant, too. It felt good! :bigsmile:

--- Laurie

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I was just talking about this a couple days ago with a friend. The only non-stretch we could think of is Wrangler. They do make styles other than the cowboy cut but not many.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, they don't really exist anymore! I used to buy for a denim store and hardly any non-stretch jeans are even made anymore. A few denim lines make them here and there but the vast majority of customers don't want them because they're stiff and uncomfortable.

The best way to ensure your jeans won't be falling off after a few wears is to buy them a half to a full size too tight. As long as the jeans aren't digging into your waist they should stretch out to be perfect. Jeans will stretch mostly in the butt and thighs, so it's okay if they're tighter than you'd want there.

As for denim lines that still make non-stretch jeans, your best bet might be Diesel. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that consistently offers non-stretch in their women's line.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting.

Are men's jeans made with the stretchy denim too? Guess I never thought about that!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ara Ann|1300217107|2872437 said:
Interesting.

Are men's jeans made with the stretchy denim too? Guess I never thought about that!

A fair amount of men's jeans are made with stretch denim, but men definitely have more non-stretch denim offered. A lot depends on the fit. The skinnier the jean, the more likely it is to have stretch. #denimstatistics

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I don't think my DH's jeans are stretchy...he has a slim build and his jeans are too loose, IMO... :Up_to_something: ...I'll have to take notice next time we are jeans shopping (something he hates doing!)... :roll:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not as far as I'm aware. I had a bebe credit and bought jeans that fit great but they aren't even jeans! They suck up here in Canada bc Jean helps keep you warm but theses 80.00 stupid stretch stuff do NOT keep your legs warm at all. Thank goodness it was a store credit otherwise I'd never paid 80.00 for spandex Jean look alike!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My SIL is Swedish and wanted non-stretch blue jeans. She figured on a trip to the US, home of the cowboy and the working man's blue jean, she would be able to find a pair. Nope! :nono:

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...sounds like a niche business opportunity for someone who can sew! =)

nicolita

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, seems to me that most selvedge denim isn't stretch! Levi's do make some non-stretch for men, at least. The kind that you wear numerous times without washing and have to be careful not to stain couches with! It's called dry/raw denim. Here are a list of brands from a website (denimblog.com):

Nudie
Levi’s
Earnest Sewn
Sling & Stones
Samurai
Atelier LaDurance
APC
Pure Blue
Flat Head
Evisu
Eternal
Sugarcane
Skull
Warehouse
Fullcount
ACNE
Pace
Cheap Mondays
Denimbirds
Julian Red
Tsubi
GStar
Kicking Mule Workshop
Gilded Age
Oni
Paul Smith
Naked & Famous
Dior
Diesel

I hope that helps! Just google raw denim and that site should come up.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1300216478|2872430 said:
A few denim lines make them here and there but the vast majority of customers don't want them because they're stiff and uncomfortable.

Thanks, everybody. Depressing news. Thing2, that's a big fake from the makers, if you ask me; probably it's cheaper. I've worn jeans all my adult life (& gawd, is that a long time!) & they are not stiff unless you get real working ones, like, say for a farm or garage. Remember all the faded jeans? They were so soft & comfy, fit great, and didn't give you a plumber's crack 15 minutes after you put them on. I bought some Jones NY jeans last time, a size too small, and they didn't ever stretch enough, finally tossed them in the trash too.

Clothing mfgrs think like sheep. We're doing stretch this year, so EVERYBODY does stretch. Ditto cashmere -- has anybody tried to find a plain regular wool crewneck sweater in the past few years? Can't be done! It's all cashmere or a mix. I even tried men's depts with no luck. The salesman looked at me like I'd asked for a skirt w/a bustle. Cashmere is great for parties. Does not hold up for real life, especially if you have a zoo-ful of critters crawling over you.

Haha, I threadjacked my own thread!!

--- Laurie

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
nicolita-most selvedge denim isn't stretch, but most, if not all, of the selvedge denim I've seen for women is stretch. Many of the lines you listed don't make women's specific fits, and if you have any curves at all, men's fits won't work. I know because I love a lot of the lines you listed and the men's fits aren't even close to flattering. :((

But I totally forgot about Earnest Sewn-good call! They do make non-stretch jeans for women and they're great. Although all of this may be a moot point because I'm not sure how much the OP wants to spend. Most of the lines in that list retail from $200 all the way up to $500.

JewelFreak-what are you looking to spend? And what fit and wash do you want? I'd be happy to go on a shopping mission for you! :cheeky:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1300233985|2872772 said:
thing2of2|1300216478|2872430 said:
A few denim lines make them here and there but the vast majority of customers don't want them because they're stiff and uncomfortable.

Thanks, everybody. Depressing news. Thing2, that's a big fake from the makers, if you ask me; probably it's cheaper. I've worn jeans all my adult life (& gawd, is that a long time!) & they are not stiff unless you get real working ones, like, say for a farm or garage. Remember all the faded jeans? They were so soft & comfy, fit great, and didn't give you a plumber's crack 15 minutes after you put them on. I bought some Jones NY jeans last time, a size too small, and they didn't ever stretch enough, finally tossed them in the trash too.

Clothing mfgrs think like sheep. We're doing stretch this year, so EVERYBODY does stretch. Ditto cashmere -- has anybody tried to find a plain regular wool crewneck sweater in the past few years? Can't be done! It's all cashmere or a mix. I even tried men's depts with no luck. The salesman looked at me like I'd asked for a skirt w/a bustle. Cashmere is great for parties. Does not hold up for real life, especially if you have a zoo-ful of critters crawling over you.

Haha, I threadjacked my own thread!!

--- Laurie

Laurie-it's not a fake by the manufacturers, it's that women customers don't buy them! I used to be a buyer at a denim boutique and the non-stretch denim NEVER sold so I stopped buying it for the store. And most of the premium denim companies stopped making them, too. And actually, the non-stretch denim is usually cheaper than the stretch. Denim companies pay big bucks trying to come up with the best stretch formula, and that's reflected in the price.

I did just think of one thing you might like-4 way stretch. It doesn't stretch out nearly as much as 2 way stretch, which is what most denim is. You'll shell out $ for them, but it's worth it if you're anything like me and you wear the same pair of jeans every day. Check out J Brand for 4 way stretch jeans-they make some good ones and I promise they will not stretch out on you!

ETA as for the plain wool crewneck sweater, have you tried J. Crew? They usually have great basics in non cashmere!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I actually just bought a couple of pairs of non-stretch levi's from TJMaxx. I agree, I'm really not a fan of stretchy jeans, they ALWAYS end up falling down in no time, and that's so annoying. They are out there!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I actually find that stretch jeans hold their shape better than 100% cotton jeans...am I the only one? Plus they are SO much more comfortable

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1300241098|2872884 said:
I actually find that stretch jeans hold their shape better than 100% cotton jeans...am I the only one? Plus they are SO much more comfortable

The do. Raw denim shrinks.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought jeans at the Tommy Hilfiger outlet that don't stretch. Love them.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
pennquaker09|1300241774|2872891 said:
slg47|1300241098|2872884 said:

The do. Raw denim shrinks.

I was actually referring to wearing throughout the day...the OP was complaining that her stretch jeans fall off, I find it to be the opposite!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
mine dont fall down either. took a while to find a brand that fits my body type, but once i did, it fit like a dream. 100% cotton jeans have no give and i remember they used to ride up the crotch when i sat down, even slightly loose fitting ones. not comfy.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thing2 -- thanks for the info. I didn't know there are 2 kinds of stretch -- assume the label tells which? Makes buying jeans as complicated as getting a computer, I swear! I'll pay till it hurts for a pair that don't threaten to fall to my knees -- though $500 is a little overboard (would rather spend it on a knockout gem, really). J Brand is new to me -- is it a brand name or a store?

Katy, thanks for the Hilfiger idea too. I'll give it a look.

I looked a J Crew a couple years ago, Thing2 -- same as Land's End, they had wool crewnecks but thin ones. Would like just a regular medium-type sweater. Oh well, the style will turn around again. It's just annoying that everybody has to make the same thing all together. When we lived in Holland I laughed at how conformist they were -- if we're selling green dresses this year, no store stocks red ones. You could walk into a shop & find it crammed with green dresses; the salesowoman looks at you like a Martian if you ask for anything else: "But green is the color this year (duh, you dumb idiot)." It has crept across the Atlantic!

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Laurie! :wavey:

I can't answer your actual question, but I do have this tidbit about jeans in general: the price of cotton, as a commodity, went up 60% last year, the largest single year increase in decades. So, whichever pair you decide on will be much more expensive in the fourth quarter of this year. Or, worse yet, they will be using much less cotton and much more "some other material" in each pair. Most of the major manufacturers have already said that they will have to increase prices.

Thought I'd throw that out there. :bigsmile:

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
ah the memories of those jeans that were so pristinely rigid after laundering - perfect with white t-shirts...on men and women!

I have a pair stored...alas they are too small now, but I will NEVER part with them!! They're Levi 501's and used to look so darn good! They're beautifully faded and old, but still feel just like denim used to be - they have 'substance'!!

I'm not in the US, but I was interested in seeing what is out there, so typed in 'Levi non stretch jeans' and this one came up right at the top of the search...scroll to the second set of jeans...

http://www.rmconnection.com/levijeans.htm

Or what about browsing ebay/vintage/surplus stores for old/used/no longer made Levi or Wrangler jeans?

Happy hunting!

:))

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1300273902|2873052 said:
Thing2 -- thanks for the info. I didn't know there are 2 kinds of stretch -- assume the label tells which? Makes buying jeans as complicated as getting a computer, I swear! I'll pay till it hurts for a pair that don't threaten to fall to my knees -- though $500 is a little overboard (would rather spend it on a knockout gem, really). J Brand is new to me -- is it a brand name or a store?

Katy, thanks for the Hilfiger idea too. I'll give it a look.

I looked a J Crew a couple years ago, Thing2 -- same as Land's End, they had wool crewnecks but thin ones. Would like just a regular medium-type sweater. Oh well, the style will turn around again. It's just annoying that everybody has to make the same thing all together. When we lived in Holland I laughed at how conformist they were -- if we're selling green dresses this year, no store stocks red ones. You could walk into a shop & find it crammed with green dresses; the salesowoman looks at you like a Martian if you ask for anything else: "But green is the color this year (duh, you dumb idiot)." It has crept across the Atlantic!

--- Laurie

Hi Laurie,

No problem! J Brand is a denim line and most of the nicer department stores carry them, although you may need to find them online for the best selection. Or if there's a denim-focused boutique near you, they'd probably have a nice selection for you to try.

I just looked at the J Brand website and it looks like they're now calling it "Power Stretch." Here's their full line of Power Stretch jeans: http://www.jbrandjeans.com/store/productslist2.aspx?categoryid=500&a=146 J Brand runs about $175-$200 for their more basic styles. I know it seems like a lot of money, but like I said, I usually wear the same pair of jeans every day, so I always get my money's worth. Plus the premium denim fits just can't be beat. (And even I wouldn't pay $500 for jeans-only guys who are denim-obsessed purist types pay that. It's a whole little culture...kind of strange when you're not right in it!)

Here's another one you might like by Paige Premium Denim: http://www.zappos.com/paige-premium...tonwood-creek-cottonwood-creek#productReviews That one actually has MORE stretch, so it's the opposite of 100% cotton, but I bet it won't stretch out.

I do know what you mean about the crazy conforming ways, though. One year it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to find a plain pair of black leather flats. Black flats weren't "in" (I think it was a heels/wedges season) and I spent literally HOURS looking online until I finally found a pair I liked.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
earnest sewn shows up on ruelala.com on a very regular basis. There's no need to pay full price for their jeans...ever.

You can find J brand jeans at TJ Maxx all day long. They will be last year's cut, but still current enough to make yourself happy. Once again, not $200, more like $40. Whether or not you'll find lyrcra free, I couldn't say though, but worth a try to look before you fork out $200 per pair.

Almost every high end brand of jeans seems to carry a "rigid" cut. If you go to Nordstrom and ask a salesperson to help you, she will find quite a few pair for you to try on that won't have lycra in them.

If you really can't find a pair without lycra, then find a pair that you DO like with lycra, buy one size smaller, go home, don't take the tags off, and wear them around the house. If they don't fit beautifully after an hour, return. The secret really is to buy one size smaller and to never put them in the dryer.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1300273902|2873052 said:
though $500 is a little overboard (would rather spend it on a knockout gem, really). --- Laurie

JewelFreak - where are you located? Nordstrom Rack always has designer jeans on sale for under $100.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking *vintage* might be the way to go also. Maybe try ETSY?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You all are SO helpful!! I love you! We do have a Nordstrom here, could try that. I also looked up T. Hilfiger & they have 100% cotton jeans, yow! There's an outlet not too far away, worth taking a peek. Don't mind paying a couple hundred for good jeans -- I live in them. But if not necessary, that leaves more for getting some stones set! I'll give your other recommendations a look too. Thanks again, I knew this would be the place to ask.

Ha!, Thing2, know just what you mean about the flats. If it's the "wrong" style that season, we're cooked. How silly!

--- Laurie

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
To the posters who are tossing jeans: Why not put them in the donation bin?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't fit non-stretch jeans ;(

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks as though Levi's 501's are making a comeback. People are paying a premium for vintage pairs and having them tailored. Levi's is also selling them on their website.

If I remember correctly, my 501's did not have stretch to them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results