shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-refundable deposit to view a diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atelier7

Rough_Rock
While shopping for a loose stone for an engagement ring, a Sydney store gave a rough quote of AUD$4K for a 0.7, G, VS (with DLCA cert) and would even include a setting in white gold.

I went back to the store today to see if they had a few stones instore for me to view and compare, they said they had only "1" left at the supplier. 0.7, H, VS at AUD$4300.

To see it, I''d have to put 10% deposit since they''d incur costs getting it from the supplier. And it''d be non-refundable, though it could be put towards the cost of another diamond should I not want this one. Is this normal?

When I inquired if this "one diamond" was exactly 0.7 carats, the salesperson said they''d try to get the biggest one possible for me. How can this supposed one last diamond have varying sizes? I feel its some sort of trick.

Anyhow, my budget is AUD$4K. Looking for 0.7, D-H (prefer at least G), VS. Does not have to be H&A, but be well cut. Is my budget realistic? Can anyone recommend any stores here in Sydney?

Appreciate any help/advice.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
10% to look is ridiculus (400$), then they have you locked in to buy from them so you get your deposit back. I'd only agree to pay actual shipping.

Why don't you consider buying from an internet vendor?

bearman49

Rough_Rock
$4000 dollars US is way more than enough for what you are looking for.

A 10% deposit is rediculous. Good thing you're not looking for a $10,000 diamond.

Some stores may ask for a deposit for shipping if you request a large number of stones to see which is normally deducted from the stone purchased as part of the purchase price.

the bearman

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
The ONLY cost that you should be expected to pay is any UPS (or whatever method they use by you) fees for delivering the stone from the supplier to the vendor. And even then, I'm sure a lot of vendors don't evern really charge you...especially when you do buy the stone.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
What is $4300 AUD(I assume Australian dollars) in US $???

Z.

atelier7

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input.

The price quoted from the store is the most competitive I've obtained so far.
But from reading the forum discussions, i think I need more information on the diamond (i'm concerned about the cut/proportions). And being a newbie to this, I'd ideally like to have 3 diamonds of similar specs to compare and choose from, rather than just rely on the salesperson saying its good.

As for buying on the net, has anyone bought anything from icestore australia?
Does anyone know what their ICE Ideal grading mean?

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
If you get copies of the Certs and Sarin reports before you order them in for viewing, you can be fairly confident of picking good stones and identifying comparable pricing from internet vendors on PS.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
ICE Ideal is an in-house grading/certification.

I believe the Australian site is associated with a Canadian one (www. diamondexchange.ca).

Here's a thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/first-post-just-a-hello-diamond-exchange-toronto.7471/

Z.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a one word response that I know virtually all of my clients would use if I ever asked such a thing.

Next.

Wink

P.S. If they are a B&M store they should have some diamonds in inventory for you to look at. To tell you that they only have one stone in that size available and that they would get you the biggest that they have sounds somewhat fishy to me. Just in case my little phrase does not translate well in Australia, it means, "Walk on". There are other vendors who will not play games. They may seem a little higher, but without the games at least you know what you are playing for.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

eek.gif
nono.gif

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
We ship in diamonds and gems from many states and a few contries. The shipping cost is part of the expense of creating customers. If you have enough suppliers to find it first, find it cheaper, find it better, find it quicker, you win.
Once in a while a customer abuses the policy. I spent a lot of money shipping some very expensive stones in once, the guy was only trying to impress a new girl and never had the money to buy. Now we screen a bit more. One customer still comes back to us even though the whole staff knows we refuse to special order anything for her ever again. We have told her this many times since she stiffed us twice on non returnable items. Just last month she asked again, as if we may have forgotten the $4000 she made us eat. These are only a couple rare ones of thousands of happy customers that we are happy to work to please.
I agree with Wink, walk about time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results