shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-matching w-ring with an unique e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nellen

Rough_Rock
I have a problem with my unique, custom made engagement ring: what kind of a wedding ring would I like and what would look good with the e-ring even though the rings would not match together. My e-ring is brushed yellow gold, knife-edge profile with scattered, flush set light blue diamonds as well as a Cushion center diamond held by a U-prong. My original thought was to have custom made a similar wedding band: brushed yellow gold, knife-edge with scattered, flush set light blue diamonds but when I received my e-ring, I caught some kind of diamond fever and I decided that I need more diamonds and showy wedding ring
31.gif

I was wondering about a white gold, half eternity ring made of alternating bezel set marquise and emerald cut diamonds. I haven''t seen that kind of ring anywhere despite extensive Googling, just rings with alternating bezel set marquise and round brilliant cut diamonds or marquise and princess cut diamonds. IMO the alternating marquise and emerald cut diamonds would be something different, a bit art deco and slightly modern, too. But the question is would it look completely stupid with my e-ring which is totally different? I was browsing around for wedding ring styles and tried on a white gold, half eternity ring made of bezel set round brilliants and that ring looked lovely with my ring and it was quite flush with my e-ring. Although I liked the ring, I would like something a little bit more exciting and different.

I have seen lovely non-matching e-ring and wedding ring sets here and I love the idea of a having two different looking rings that on the one hand together go together but on the other hand are completely different and individual. Is my idea just too different?

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Nellen. Both your ering and your idea for a wedding band sound beautiful. It''s a very personal taste matter but I, for one, love the look of a custom ering and a different band. I''m just not that much of a "matchy" person. I also think that since you tried on a half eternity you have a bit of an idea of how your imagined band would look with your ering.

Btw, have you posted any pics of your ering? I would love to see them.
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Go for it - I love non-matchy sets. The design you describe sounds beautiful.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:41:52 AM
Author: Gayletmom
Wow, Nellen. Both your ering and your idea for a wedding band sound beautiful. It''s a very personal taste matter but I, for one, love the look of a custom ering and a different band. I''m just not that much of a ''matchy'' person. I also think that since you tried on a half eternity you have a bit of an idea of how your imagined band would look with your ering.

Btw, have you posted any pics of your ering? I would love to see them.
1.gif

ditto this. I LOVE the non matchy-matchy look. Please post pics of your ering
35.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Yes, please do post PICS!! Your e-ring sounds amazing! And if you like the non-matchy look, go for it! You''ll have a grogeous wedding set that no one else has:)

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s fine to go non matchy. Please post a picture of your ring, it sounds beautiful
35.gif
35.gif
35.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Non matchy is great, but honestly I wonder if these two are just too different. Sounds like something very modern mixed with something very antiqueish? Hard to say without pics of your ering though! But I would make sure to try on something similar first as it might be too much together.

nellen

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the encouragement, I think I''ll lean even more towards the completely non-matching rings.

I am a little hesitant about posting pictures of my ering since my ring''s center diamond is almost minuscule compared to some huuuuuge diamonds I''ve seen here. But here goes nothing.

sormessa258.jpg

nellen

Rough_Rock
Another look.

sormessa285.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful.

I think with the wedding band I would try on some alternating bezel set bands with different shapes to get a feel for how that style will work with your ring and whether you like the look together :).

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I think that your e-ring would look lovely with a matching w-band. Carrying the design through makes visual sense, to me. I hope you will consider this as an option
1.gif

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
What about something like a blue diamond half eternity band? Set with yellow prongs or yellow bar setting.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you set on non-matchy? Because whiteflash has a ring that would look great with it...LINKY

nellen

Rough_Rock
I am aware of the Whiteflash wedding band linked by Stephanie, it is very similar to my original thoughts and ideas about the wedding ring. And no, my mind isn''t set on non-matchy rings. But my mind is set on something different as well as unique and carrying the design through the wedding ring seems so predictable, a tad bit boring and too easy to me although it was my original thought when having my ering custom made. But having seen so many lovely rings I feel like I would like something more extravagant and even more different. Maybe my pursuit for distinctness has gone too far...

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring!!!!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m a fan of non-matchy.... but that might be a bit too non-matchy for my tastes. Honestly, I''d say take your ring on a road trip and try on a ton of different stlyes to see what you like!

And I love your ering - so cool!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What a cool ring! And no, it isn''t miniscule at all. Thanks for posting! I do think after seeing it though, that maybe your marquise and emerald ring may be TOO non-matchy. I think a matching one would look great, because you ALREADY have a really unique and distinguished ring as it is. I''ve never seen one quite like it and think a matching band would complete it quite nicely. I think it''s really pretty and showy as it is.

Don''t forget, you have a right hand to put blingy showy rings on too.
31.gif
Your emerald and marquise cut ring could live happily over there:)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nellen,
Your ring is so beautiful!! And it doesn''t look minuscule. Here is a link to another thread full of non-matchy sets! Browse through it and see if anything strikes your fancy!
Link

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It certainly doesn''t have to match, but I think it has to tie in a bit more than what you''re describing (IMHO)
21.gif

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Oooh! I LOVE your ring! Did you post photos of it before? It's SO distinct! Love the blue diamonds in the yellow gold, the "champagne" style etc etc. I have a real thing about trying to come up with non-matching combos for wedding sets if you would please indulge me???

If I could suggest...... what about a band done in a way that echos the ramdom placement "champagne" diamond style, without being a copy of the e-ring itself? Say, a very thin band (almost like a wire) with the diamonds just sort of "joined" together by it? Almost a sort of floating effect to it? (so the whole effect is really about the diamonds rather than the ring itself) Let me try to find a picture of what I mean.......

- Jodie -

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I found this on Etsy. I''ts just a cheap little white gold ring........ It you had it made with little blue diamonds in place of large sapphire and blobs of gold....... you get the idea.......

ring - twig1.jpg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

ring - twig2.jpg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
(forgot to say - have it done in a FINE jewellery way, not in cheapish blobby way as shown - LOL)...... anyways..... that''s my suggestion for something that would complement your ring without out totally matching it......

ring - twig3.jpg

nellen

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for all your input and your complements! And thanks so much for mausketeer (Jodie) for giving me an interesting idea to think about. It sounds and looks (when imaging the style done in fine jewellery) like something I would very well consider. To answer mausketeer''s question, the pictures above are the very first pictures I have posted of my ering here in PS. As I said earlier, my center diamond is very small compared to the average diamond in an ering here in the forum and I''m a little embarrassed about showing my tiny rock.

I initially got my first idea for my ering of a Whiteflash ring which is so gorgeous but I liked so many other aspects I wanted to incorporate into my ering. So I came up with the desing you see in the pictures. Furthermore, since I don''t live in the States the original WF design would have been nearly impossible for me to achieve. Unfortunately and fortunately I did not discover PS untill I received my ring. Fortunately because I would have liked so many other styles and designs too and it would have been so difficult to decide what I really, really like and want to have in my ring. Unfortunately because now I know more about diamonds than I did before purchasing my first diamond to my ering. But hopefully when designing and buying my wedding ring I am smarter with the choices I make and have many ideas to pick from.

I have to put my dear FI''s photoshopping skills to a test and make him put some options next to my ering in order to decide the wedding ring desing. Hopefully even crude photoshopped pictures would help me to decide.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
This is neat:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/etienne-perret-starlight-band.56228/

Too bad about not being able to get Whiteflash delivery where you live, that band would look beautiful with your e-ring but I''m sure you''ll end up with something equally stunning.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I love when jewelry is not totally matchy-matchy. Even my set, while being a very similar style, is not an exact match and I did that on purpose. So basically, if I were you I would go with something that has a similar style, but is just a little different, a little more blingy, like you said you wanted. Maybe something that incorporates the brushed yellow gold and white and blue diamonds...or just blue. I can't wait to see what you'll go with!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Etienne Perret''s stuff? He has similar designs and they''re all gorgeous. Some are pretty unique and blingy. http://www.etienneperret.com/album/9

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results