shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-fluorescent diamond looks blue in the sun!?

Willay

Rough_Rock
So I'm a newbie but been lurking around for a few months.

I bought this diamond after several exchanges:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02681709

The diamond looks fantastic in almost all lighting. However, when I bring it into direct sunlight (like noon on a cloudless day) it turns this violet/blue color. The GIA certificate says "fluorescence: none" and I have confirmed the lasar inscription on the girdle and I have also put the diamond under black light to make sure there is no fluorescence. Am I just seeing the sky? Is this unusual for a well cut diamond?

Please let me know what you think.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post a picture of what you see on a sunny cloudless day? odds are, it could very well be just a reflection of the sky - or what you are wearing that day...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue sky = blue diamond ;))

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
My no fluor, E color diamond does that...reflecting the sky!

Willay

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses...I'll try to get a picture within the next day or two.

Does anyone have ideas why it turns a violet/blue color instead of the light blue that I see in the sky?

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Probably a combo of it turning dark in the direct sun and reflection of sky?

Willay

Rough_Rock
Some images of my stone at the office...will try to get some outside pictures soon

photo-3_3.jpg

photo-3-1.jpg

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
If a stone looks blue in the sun due to blue fluorescence the entire stone takes on a blue body tint when viewed from the side. If the stone only looks blue face up in the sun most likely it's just a reflection of the sky.

Willay

Rough_Rock
thbmok|1344908353|3250998 said:
If a stone looks blue in the sun due to blue fluorescence the entire stone takes on a blue body tint when viewed from the side. If the stone only looks blue face up in the sun most likely it's just a reflection of the sky.

Thanks a good point.

I'm going to try to get some pictures today but it's actually partly cloudy outside so I'm not sure if I can capture what I'm seeing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Willay|1344958658|3251282 said:
thbmok|1344908353|3250998 said:

Thanks a good point.

I'm going to try to get some pictures today but it's actually partly cloudy outside so I'm not sure if I can capture what I'm seeing.

Wait for a day when the sky if fully cloudy (no blue).
Then if you see less or no blue in your diamond that proves you were seeing reflections of the blue of the sky.

Willay

Rough_Rock
Here are pics from 2pm outside in direct sunlight with minor clouds in the sky

I couldn't recreate some of the darker blue/violet colors I saw before. I'm pretty sure the colors I see are due to environment now.

photo-3-3.jpg

photo-3-2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results