shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-Engagement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Okay Ladies, i dont know about the rest of you, but im sitting here going out of my mind. Espically after a holiday weekend and so many ladies get engaged. Dont get me wrong, im happy for them, but it gets me down a bit. So i firgured maybe we could have a thread besides the small talk that could help us get our minds off of engagements. Maybe we can vote on it and than start one.

~ Maybe a DIY Thread....I know that i like home crafty projects and it can be anything from home meals and maybe post reciepe to Holiday cards to gifts ideas or party ideas or even costumes...Halloween is comming up

or

~Suggestions for music to listen. Kind of like a book club, expect its music. Like one week a LIW suggested a good CD or song, those who want listen to it, comment and than we have another. Good thing about this is you can find sites like Myspace to listen to the music for free,whereas a book club you have to go buy the book...so a MusicClub

or

~Bookclub....but good books. Like the Dark Hunter series. Maybe books others havent heard of that are good.

Just my idea

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I feel ya.

I knew this weekend wouldn't be the weekend, as I'm currently about 1000 miles away from boy, but I knew to expect a rush of engagements from other lucky ladies!

I should be writing a paper at the moment (yeah § 1983 and the takings clause!) but my head is a million miles away and I would rather be doing anything else.

So I've been making DIY wedding favor labels for a non-existent wedding. I'm so lame...

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Ive done that too, with the labels, thats why i firgured there has to be some other DIY stuff thats not wedding related that we can do. I think i might stop at the crafts store and see cuz im going crazy., Oooo maybe i can do some shoes or something.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I''m totally not crafty, but here is a really elegant cookie recipe. I haven''t made them myself, but my friend used them in her welcome baskets:

http://thecookiescoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/basil-lime-shortbread-cookies.html

Basil Lime Shortbread Cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter ( room temperature )
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup finely chopped basil
2 tbsp. lime zest ( finely grated )
Lime sugar for sprinkling on top of cookies before baking.( Lime zest mixed with sugar).

Cream the butter and sugar til light and fluffy.
Beat in the vanilla and salt.
In a small bowl, toss flour, basil and lime zest.
With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture til it forms a ball.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Once dough is out of fridge for a little while and has softened a bit, roll on lightly floured surface ( I roll out between 2 pieces of plastic wrap ). Roll out to about 1/4" thickness. (If dough is too sticky, you can always put it back in the fridge to chill a bit.) Cut out desired shapes and place on parchment lined sheet. Sprinkle with lime zest sugar. Bake approx. 10 minutes ( mine took a bit longer so watch for edges to be slightly browned).

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 6:46:09 PM
Author: sillyberry
I''m totally not crafty, but here is a really elegant cookie recipe. I haven''t made them myself, but my friend used them in her welcome baskets:

http://thecookiescoop.blogspot.com/2009/06/basil-lime-shortbread-cookies.html

Basil Lime Shortbread Cookies

3/4 cup unsalted butter ( room temperature )
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup finely chopped basil
2 tbsp. lime zest ( finely grated )
Lime sugar for sprinkling on top of cookies before baking.( Lime zest mixed with sugar).

Cream the butter and sugar til light and fluffy.
Beat in the vanilla and salt.
In a small bowl, toss flour, basil and lime zest.
With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture til it forms a ball.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Once dough is out of fridge for a little while and has softened a bit, roll on lightly floured surface ( I roll out between 2 pieces of plastic wrap ). Roll out to about 1/4'' thickness. (If dough is too sticky, you can always put it back in the fridge to chill a bit.) Cut out desired shapes and place on parchment lined sheet. Sprinkle with lime zest sugar. Bake approx. 10 minutes ( mine took a bit longer so watch for edges to be slightly browned).
have you tried these? basil lime cookies might scare me, but I''d try them. LOVE basil!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I have tried them. I like them, my mom LOVES them. LOVE LOVE LOVES them. She said it''s the best cookie she''s had in the past decade.

They''re very light and not too sweet. The basil doesn''t jump out at you, but instead is a nice interesting background note.

Something about them just seems so fancy!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
I've had basil ice cream, and it is EPIC WIN DELICIOUS, so I can't wait to try the cookie recipe!!!

This is a link to a delicious and not-unhealthy cake (the rainbow cake)

Rainbow Cake!

MrsHToBe

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, rainbow cake is fun! Our DD turns 5 on Monday (OMG, where does the time go?!?
39.gif
), and I think I''m going to make one for her! We''ve made cupcakes that way before, and she loved ''em!

IMG_2372.jpg

katomm

Shiny_Rock
What a great suggestion!!! Here''s BF''s favorite dinner I make and it''s so easy it''s nuts.

1 Publix Mojo rotisserie chicken, take all chicken off the bone and shred
1 bag Vigo yellow rice cooked as directed.
One small can of unsalted peas.

Mix is all together and serve w/ cuban bread w/ butter. I swear I never knew he''d like something so easy but it''s his most requested meal I make.

As for DIY, I don''t do much other than fixing things around the house. Most recent tip I came up with was regarding one of those over the door ironing board hangers. Every time I''d open or close the door the board would bang on the door. I attached velcro to the feet of the board and to the back of the door. No more banging! LOL.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I used to do a bit of DIY art work and projects when I had a bit more time to spare. I''ve done a bunch of paintings on canvas both for myself and as gifts, edited and framed lots of photos in BIG multi photo frames (I''ve made them of photos we took of places BF and I have traveled to together- there''s one of London and one of Paris in our room at the moment), worked on my photo album, I''ve made cusion covers and baked all kinds of goodies.

I agree that having a crafty project going really takes your mind off things and I find it really soothing.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
^^ I totally agree.

I want to learn how to knit -- does anyone know any good online tutorials??

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 11:02:15 PM
Author: shertz1981
^^ I totally agree.

I learned by reading knitty.com like a fiend. There are so many great articles, and tons of patterns to choose from.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I just want to say I feel all of you ladies. Me and my BF are about to embark on an LDR in about a month and he is still jobless. We have been discussing a timeline, but I know nothing is going to happen as long as he is unemployed. He insists on wanting to "do it right" despite me telling him that spending a lot of money is not necessary.

Don''t do much DYI, I do cook...what can I share...

Well, he loves my chicken parm, so I will share that since others are sharing their favorite dinners

Serves about 4

1 package boneless/skinless chicken cutlets
1 cup flour
1 cup bread crumbs
Extra Virgin olive oil (1-2 tbsp or an oil cooking spray)
1 egg
tomato based pasta sauce (I love the Vodka sauce from Trader Joe''s)
1.5 cups of shredded cheese (I use a 4 cheese Italian blend from Trader Joe''s, you could easily do mozzarella)
Pasta - enough for 4 people

1) preheat ovan to 400 degrees
2) Warm a large frying pan (about med-high)
3) put the flour and bread crumbs on separate plates
4) whisk the egg in a bowl
5) take the chicken and dip it into the flour ->egg->breadcrumbs, make sure when you are dipping that each item covers the entire chicken
6) Place chicken in the frying pan - lower the heat after a minute or 2
7) cook enough just to brown the bread crumbs - you don''t have to cook the chicken through at this point
8) Place in a backing dish that with a thin layer of sauce at the bottom
9 ) Cover the chicken with sauce (about 1 to 1.5 cups)
10) Cover the sauce with cheese
11) Place in ovan and bake about 15 minutes
12) Cook pasta while chicken is baking (I usually use a fast cooking pasta that only takes 2-3 minutes, start earlier if using a pasta that takes longer
13) Serve the chicken over the pasta and enjoy!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
It''s still too hot for this recipe (at least it is where I am at the moment), but this is one of my favorite easy yummy tummy comfort foods:

Brownie Stew ("Brownie" as in Girl Scouts, not bars of chocolate goodness!)

Stew Ingredients:
  • 1.5 lbs ground beef
  • 1 large onion diced
  • a few cloves chopped garlic
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans Campbell''s vegetarian veggie soup (my mom thinks it is very important that it is vegetarian veggie)
  • 1-2 potatoes, peeled and large diced
  • 1 bag frozen mixed veggies of your choice
  • seasonings to taste (herbs, salt, pepper)
Dumpling Ingredients (from the good people of Betty Crocker):
  • 2 cups Bisquick®
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • seasonings to taste (Jane''s Crazy Salt, parsley, whatever you fancy)

[*] In a large skillet, brown ground beef, onion, and garlic
[*] When browned, transfer to a large pot and add tomatoes, veggie soup, seasonings, potatoes, and 2-3 cans of water; bring to a low slow boil
[*] When the potatoes are partially done, add frozen veggies and bring up to a boil
[*] At this point, stir the dumpling ingredients in a separate bowl until soft dough forms
[*] Just as the stew reaches a boil, drop dumplings by spoonfuls onto stew; reduce heat
[*] Cook uncovered 10 minutes
[*] Cover and cook 10 minutes

Delish!

The nice thing is that you can add or subtract anything - more or less veggies, potatoes or not, more or less beef. If you like your veggies more done, add them sooner. It''s very adaptable to your preferences!

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
O, im super glad we started this. I was running out of options for dinner for C, im sure he is sick of Hamburger helper and Southern Fried Chicken.

Here is some of my reciepes

HomeMade Beef Jerky which can be made in oven

Things need:
2 to 3 Pds of Beef like London Broil
3 TableSpoons Liquid Smoke
4 Tablespoons of Steak Sauce
Foil
Wire Rack
Salt
Pepper

Reciepe:
Take the London Broil, or meat of choice and cut off all fat. Slice into 1/8 in slices. I usually place the meat in the freezer for 10 minutes before slicing it. Once Sliced, coat the meat in the Liquid Smoke, and Steak Sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Place in Ice box for about an hour. While Meat is marinating, coat bottom of Oven with Foil to catch drippings.

Once meat is done, place meat on wire rack and place in oven on 200 Degree heat for about 4 hours. Let cool, remove from wire rack and enjoy. Tasty jerky that is good for you, and low in fat!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a great easy summer dessert recipe from the NY Times. You could use just about any fruit you like.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
By MARK BITTMAN
<BR Time: 20 minutes, plus 1 hour chilling

• 16 graham cracker squares (8 whole crackers), crushed
  • 1/4 cup ground pecans or walnuts, optional
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste (SB NOTE: I found I needed more sweetener than this)
  • Rind of a lemon, freshly grated
  • Pinch salt
  • About 1 1/2 cups blueberries.

1. Combine crushed graham crackers, nuts if using, and melted butter. Press evenly into bottom of an 8- or 9-inch square pan (glass is good) to form a crust about 1/4-inch thick. Put in refrigerator until ready to use.

2. Using a standing or hand mixer, or a whisk, combine cream cheese, ricotta, honey, lemon rind and salt, and blend until smooth.

3. Spread cheese mixture carefully and evenly over crust, using a spatula or butter knife to smooth top. Cover with fresh blueberries and chill for at least an hour, or until set. Cut into squares or bars and serve.

Yield: 8 to 12 servings.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Anyone know of any good Card websites that i can go to for free. I really like making home made cards. o BTW im gonna post pictures of my current project when im done.....a wardobe for my little boy dog. Well just Shirts, his Daddy, C, and i have to get him Diapers
23.gif
, and we, well i dont want him to look funny so im going to make him a bunch of shirts that match the pants so he looks like he has an outfit on.

jenmarie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 11:02:15 PM
Author: shertz1981
^^ I totally agree.

I love to knit!! I hardly ever do it anymore because sometimes I get in this zone where I can''t make myself stop!

I learned from this kit (which was totally out of date, even 7 or so years ago!) called, I believe, "I Can''t Believe I Taught Myself Knitting!" There are actually much easier instructions elsewhere, probably online for free. Knitty has really cute patterns.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love chocolate. Brownies are the BEST. High quality dark chocolate is actually good for you. It releases the same chemical into the brain as good sex. So it is great for relieving stress, headaches, stomach aches, and is good for your bloodpressure.

I modified this recipe from the Scharffenberger website to make it even yummier and a little less cake like. Very rich and gooey and chunky.

Scharffenberger is THE best chocolate out there. (okay, so it is only the 2nd best in the world). It is a little more expensive than others, but it is worth it.

NEW CLASSIC BROWNIES
INGREDIENTS
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
4 oz. ScharffenBerger 99% Chocolate
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean scraped (or 1tsp. vanilla extract)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs
2/3 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)
4 to 6 oz. Scharffenberger 70% (or 72%)

PREPARATIONPreheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Prepare an 8-inch square metal baking pan. It is important in this recipe to only use metal. Line the pan with either aluminum foil or parchment paper so that it comes up all four sides.

If adding pecans, toast them in the oven until golden brown.

Melt the butter together with the 99% chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl placed above simmering (not boiling) water. Stir to smoothly integrated.

With a wooden spoon or heavy spatula, mix in the sugar, vanilla and salt. Add the eggs one at a time. Mix in the flour. Stir the mixture for at least a minute until the batter is smooth and begins to come away from the sides of the bowl.

Mix in the nuts as the last step before putting the batter in the pan. (For extra chocolaty crunch, you can stir some of the 70% chunks in when you add the nuts)

Sprinkle top of brownies with the 70% (or 72%) chocolate that has been cut into large chunks (about 1/2 inch).

Bake the brownies at 400degrees for 20 minutes or until the batter begins to come away from the sides of the pan.

While the brownies are baking, prepare an ice bath for cooling. Using a roaster pan or a larger baking pan, fill it with cold water and ice cubes. When you remove the brownies from the oven, cool the pan completely in the ice bath. Be careful to not get water on the brownies. (If you had used a pyrex pan, the glass would break at this point and your brownies would be ruined.)

Cut the brownies into 16 squares.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
MMMMMMM Brownies
18.gif
Wonder if i can reason in my head why i should have these.

So im thinking about taking up scrapbooking and like making stuff. What kind of stuff i dont know, but stuff.....any ideas ladies?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
High quality dark chocolate is GOOD for you. It reduces stress, helps with digestive problems, lowers blood pressure....

Really. It is good for you. In moderation. I like the Scharffenberger 70% and above. It has no milk and no sugar.

Making stuff? Maybe a cookbook.
You can put your recipes in the computer. Maybe make some of them and take pictures to stick with the recipes.
We''ve got a friend in California who does this every year for Christmas. Last year she sent out the cookbooks on DVDs so people would just have them on the computer.
Or you could print it and decorate it.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, thats a great idea....maybe little cookbooks withmy own reciepes and scrap book them and than send them. I think thats a good idea. Thank you so much. I like my SO aunt, which is his closes living relative, would love that.

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candles are always fun. Scented or gelled. Multi colored. Funny shaped.

I can''t do anything scented. (I''ve got allergies to perfumed anything) I know some of the craft stores even sell candle making kits.

MrsHToBe

Shiny_Rock
I''m so tempted to make these, and have even entertained the idea of using them for favours at our wedding (recipes, maybe? FF is a chef, after all)..

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 5:19:19 PM
Author:Jessie702
Okay Ladies, i dont know about the rest of you, but im sitting here going out of my mind. Espically after a holiday weekend and so many ladies get engaged. Dont get me wrong, im happy for them, but it gets me down a bit.

That''s exactly how I feel.
8.gif
I want to be engaged so bad!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 7:26:10 PM
Author: MrsHToBe
I''m so tempted to make these, and have even entertained the idea of using them for favours at our wedding (recipes, maybe? FF is a chef, after all)..

Those are super cute! I think stuffing them with recipes (and maybe writing why they are special to you) would be a great favor!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
Speaking of chefs, does anyone watch "Top Chef"???

Love it!

MrsHToBe

Shiny_Rock
The Food Network is almost always on in our house, so we definitely watch ''Top Chef'', ''Chopped'', and ''The Next Food Network Star'', etc.. lol. Love ''em!

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been to Mike Isabella''s (Top Chef contestant) restaurant in DC, and a bunch of my friends are going to Volt (Bryan Voltaggio''s place) sometime soon!

I love going to cheftestants'' restaurants. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results