shape
carat
color
clarity

Non Color Sensitive

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Good afternoon!

I finally got the chance to try on sizes, the outcome is that I prefer 9-9.5mm stones (3-3.5 carat). It has been a long time coming to finally get around to narrowing down the ranges in person. They unfortunately did not have varying colors, so this is my next decision.

I current own an EGD in a 1.43 carat J-color, mind you it is cut to PS standards so the color is not as obvious, with that said, clearly I'm not overly color sensitive either. This time I will be purchasing an eternity, so I know the color will stand out more compared to something next to it. I have read that LGDs show a bit more color? For those who are not overly sensitive to color, what range would you suggest in the larger sizes. I understand this is a major personal preference, but is perhaps H/I ok at 3-3.5 carat?

Here are the sizes I tried on today. I'm torn, I like both for different reasons, but I do think each size has its own personality. Size 5 finger.

0c505d75-5e3c-48d3-95a6-043437a307d6-jpeg.925775

56cb8d62-e79f-4984-9089-9bc7232c28ca-jpeg.925777
7f9d67eb-d72b-47d7-baa1-955c7706c04f-png.925776
1190822c-07c5-4dea-9bed-75d0270f9c92-jpeg.925780

Last edited:

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I think it might also depend how you're going to set it. Halo? Chunky bezel? Slim solitaire? What color gold? If you're after a halo, would the big diamond be too much for you once set?

I prefer warm golds, so color really doesn't matter to me as it'll be "warmed up" anyway once set.

Pretend one sold overnight, would you be sad? Would you be happy it wasn't the other one that had sold? That's how I try to gauge my true feelings on certain items!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
It will definitely be a platinum solitaire, 3mm. I will wear a plain 2-3mm band with it most days, and a full eternity on more special occasions. Here’s the inspo pic.

Also, to answer your question, I’d be sad if the 3.5 sold. With that said, is it just because it’s bigger? If it were a 2.5 vs 3, would I be more satisfied with the 3? I feel like I’m naturally drawn to the bigger size, but I’m unsure if it’s the most aesthetically fitting for me for every day. Ohh the struggles

This is a 3.5 carat on a 5.5 finger. I’m a size 5 finger.

D228F22D-E930-4CDD-A451-7F9A9C3BAED2.jpeg

Attachments

• 406D44E3-839C-46C7-83CA-44A1312CC16B.jpeg
    406D44E3-839C-46C7-83CA-44A1312CC16B.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 26

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
About color, this is definitely subjective. I adore warmth in a diamond. Past owner of a J and L, they were WONDERFUL to me. Usually the tint was not obvious at all, but then again, at 1ct, it probably wouldn't be too much. Top down, a well cut diamond is mirroring light, not showing body color as much.

A ramble about size: I am not sure about size, that is such a personal decision. You could certainly buy and live with that size CZ ring for a few days and see what you think.
I have realized I prefer smaller on my size 6.25 finger. I have a 2.25ct rb, and while I enjoy looking down and feeling like a rich ring princess, I have to say my old 1.3 RB was more "me" in some ways. I am working on growing into a bigger diamond. My newest emerald cut is a much smaller 1.4ct (delivery today, wooohooo!).

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
About color, this is definitely subjective. I adore warmth in a diamond. Past owner of a J and L, they were WONDERFUL to me. Usually the tint was not obvious at all, but then again, at 1ct, it probably wouldn't be too much. Top down, a well cut diamond is mirroring light, not showing body color as much.

A ramble about size: I am not sure about size, that is such a personal decision. You could certainly buy and live with that size CZ ring for a few days and see what you think.
I have realized I prefer smaller on my size 6.25 finger. I have a 2.25ct rb, and while I enjoy looking down and feeling like a rich ring princess, I have to say my old 1.3 RB was more "me" in some ways. I am working on growing into a bigger diamond. My newest emerald cut is a much smaller 1.4ct (delivery today, wooohooo!).

Interesting you say this, I feel when I was looking at stones, I'm trying to convince myself into liking the 4 carat. Sure, I liked it, but because it was bigger, I guess I felt I was suppose to want it more even though it really looked too big.

Regarding your other comment about feeling like a rich ring princess, I don't know, I'm sort of feeling a certain way too. Before ever getting my engagement ring, I knew I wanted a solitaire cathedral, once I got it, there were so many little things about the setting itself that I didn't love, that I immediately after getting it thought I wanted a different solitaire cathedral. That thought never left me in 7 years, and my dream ring was still the cathedral, but with a plain band and eternity all matching in height and width. I ran with this goal/plan for 7 years (and in a way, years before that), but now I'm realizing, maybe it is not what I want.

It is the strangest thing, when I went yesterday to try on stones, the sales associate, her ring I absolutely loved. It's still similar to my solitaire goal with plain band, but its a smaller mm ER with 4mm wedding band. I even liked the 8 prong, where I NEVER liked anything more than even 4 prong.

I'm in a weird place, I wonder if the influence of social media/PS and not considering anything outside of my original dream ring has made me realize, maybe my interest have changed and I never considered what else I could like. I've attached her ring below.
1677589847483.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Interesting you say this, I feel when I was looking at stones, I'm trying to convince myself into liking the 4 carat. Sure, I liked it, but because it was bigger, I guess I felt I was suppose to want it more even though it really looked too big.

Regarding your other comment about feeling like a rich ring princess, I don't know, I'm sort of feeling a certain way too. Before ever getting my engagement ring, I knew I wanted a solitaire cathedral, once I got it, there were so many little things about the setting itself that I didn't love, that I immediately after getting it thought I wanted a different solitaire cathedral. That thought never left me in 7 years, and my dream ring was still the cathedral, but with a plain band and eternity all matching in height and width. I ran with this goal/plan for 7 years (and in a way, years before that), but now I'm realizing, maybe it is not what I want.

It is the strangest thing, when I went yesterday to try on stones, the sales associate, her ring I absolutely loved. It's still similar to my solitaire goal with plain band, but its a smaller mm ER with 4mm wedding band. I even liked the 8 prong, where I NEVER liked anything more than even 4 prong.

I'm in a weird place, I wonder if the influence of social media/PS and not considering anything outside of my original dream ring has made me realize, maybe my interest have changed and I never considered what else I could like. I've attached her ring below.
1677589847483.png

The great news it...no wrong answer! As labs are increasing affordable, why not have a stable :) You can wear moods.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
The great news it...no wrong answer! As labs are increasing affordable, why not have a stable :) You can wear moods.

You might be right, I guess I never considered being open to other options. Maybe just like everything else in life, our tastes change, even with our wedding sets.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have 5 e-rings and a few bands. At this point, only one e-ring is mined. Today I am in small sunny lab cushion. B05D7C62-AC75-45BE-9D9E-D28509CD9CBB.jpeg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I have 5 e-rings and a few bands. At this point, only one e-ring is mined. Today I am in small sunny lab cushion. B05D7C62-AC75-45BE-9D9E-D28509CD9CBB.jpeg

Very nice!! I will keep you updated, I do wonder if the ring set I saw yesterday would look nice in platinum. I've been trying to hunt online, but haven't really found anything too similar.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 3 ct J colored lab ering with eternities that are F/G (lab baguettes) and G earth French cut). I will attach a picture but honestly I never see the color difference. I realized that I am not be sensitive to color at all.
A56060E7-2C2D-47BC-8DCE-97BC05267793.jpeg

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a 3 ct J colored lab ering with eternities that are F/G (lab baguettes) and G earth French cut). I will attach a picture but honestly I never see the color difference. I realized that I am not be sensitive to color at all.

Thank youuu. Do you have a bit of yellow gold in that set?

breanne

Brilliant_Rock

I did a bit of color change of the photo, while you can still see it was suppose to be yellow gold, if you squint, it looks platinum lol.

I must say, I really am digging this set.
1677597353659.png

breanne

Brilliant_Rock

I just checked from my phone, I guess it was just my laptop screen. I love it, and if you don't find too much contrast with platinum, maybe I might be ok sticking around J.
Had you had smaller stones before of lower color, did you feel there was a major difference when you went to a larger size, in terms of noticing it more?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@breanne To answer your question, I think I have always had lower color stones because I used to do my diamond shopping in the NYC diamond district a couple/few decades ago. I’ve since had those stones reset by D. Klass and he’s visually rated them around I or J.
What I notice the most is the precision cut that I now know exists and that is what blows me away. Still don’t see the color difference! :lol: Just the cut!!
Again, I’m likely older than you so I am sure my eyes aren’t what they used to be.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
@breanne To answer your question, I think I have always had lower color stones because I used to do my diamond shopping in the NYC diamond district a couple/few decades ago. I’ve since had those stones reset by D. Klass and he’s visually rated them around I or J.
What I notice the most is the precision cut that I now know exists and that is what blows me away. Still don’t see the color difference! :lol: Just the cut!!
Again, I’m likely older than you so I am sure my eyes aren’t what they used to be.

Well, at almost 37, my eyes aren't great. If that makes you feel any better lol.
This is actually really great to hear, other than heirlooms, my diamond was of PS standards cut wise, so I never really noticed any color, but I will say, I have seen some dingy diamonds that are higher in color, so, as we know, cut is everything.

I get endlesssss compliments on my stone, while I don't want to poo-poo my 1.43 diamond, it is certainly not huge, so I really attribute it to the cut. And, it's pretty damn white to me.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to add that when my son got engaged four years ago, I steered him into a ~1.40 I ACA and it’s amazing. I see her stone around her many sisters/relatives and mine, and I just don’t see color differences if the cut is amazing. And both my DIL and mine are!!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I want to add that when my son got engaged four years ago, I steered him into a ~1.40 I ACA and it’s amazing. I see her stone around her many sisters/relatives and mine, and I just don’t see color differences if the cut is amazing. And both my DIL and mine are!!

Thank you! I really appreciate this perspective.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I am not color sensitive either. I bought 2 different G color labs and they look incredibly white to me. I never heard of lab diamonds showing more body color than same graded earth mined. I have heard of labs occasionally showing brown or grey but not the actual 'yellowish' body color.

I had an old cut "L" and now 2 different G colors and they pretty much looked the same 99% of the time. My other G i sent to GIA to be re-graded because i actually WANTED H and it came back an F so who knows. I think with one color grade it's pretty close, not like "E" compared to "I" but one color grade I doubt youll see a huge difference? I know I wouldnt.

I think you have to look at each just on their own in each lighting condition and determine if you see any color or it bothers you. I really love the 3.5 you posted. I tend to like that same size, 3 - 3.5. I love bigger on other people but for me, thats my size limit

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
About size: I have a 3.4 carat on a size 5 finger for 2 weeks, and I can’t stop stare at it. I wanted to hit the 9.5 mm, and I don’t regret, I did it.
I wear it every day, even if I’m home.
2457BA32-4E66-4807-8A90-976A23EB8981.jpeg

Regarding color: I was also looking for GH colored lab diamonds, but the experts here suggested to choose a higher colored diamond to avoid blue or grey tint. I listened to them, and my stone is an E.

Basically I’m not color sensitive, I have also an N colored 2.86 ct. OEC, which I also adore.

896C90CA-8DEA-4F6B-ACBC-5FD75801D37D.jpeg

So my suggestion is, to really look out for blue or grey tint, and if you don’t see any tint in any light conditions, which would bother you longterm, than choose the one, you like the most, independently from the color category on the certificate.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both for replying! I spoke with my diamond broker and he said the prices are fairly negligible between H/I to F/G that I might as well go higher in color. I expressed that I'd like to stick between 3-3.5, but of course leaning towards 3.5 lol.

With that said, my choice will not be on size alone, but for the most spectacular stone within that range with the PS parameters that I'm used to. I'm really excited, I will be either having some vetted within the next few days or when I'm back from exams at the end of March.

It seems like a long time coming, but I feel like the time is right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results