shape
carat
color
clarity

Non-certified stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubbles

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am considering buying a stone in of two ways: on line or in a diamond district of New York City. I have several questions:

1. What is your opinion on buying non-certified stone. I never thought I would consider this but couple of my friends has actually done it and recommended it to me becuase your savings are really significant especially on a large stone.

2. Can you recommend an appriser on 47th street who can examine the stone. I would like to get in touch with the person before I travel to NYC since I am only going to have one day to purchase a stone.

3. With what level of accuracy can the appriser tell the quality of the stone (cut, clarity, florescence, table, depth etc.) wihtout having an actual certificate in front of them.

4. How can I make sure that the stone has not been inhanced in clarity?

5. What should I be expecting to pay for this type of service, assuming that I would bring couple of different stones during the course of the day for appriasal and consultation.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Bubbles

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/18/2002 9:31:32 AM

Hello,

I am considering buying a stone in of two ways: on line or in a diamond district of New York City. I have several questions:

1. What is your opinion on buying non-certified stone. I never thought I would consider this but couple of my friends has actually done it and recommended it to me becuase your savings are really significant especially on a large stone.

2. Can you recommend an appriser on 47th street who can examine the stone. I would like to get in touch with the person before I travel to NYC since I am only going to have one day to purchase a stone.

3. With what level of accuracy can the appriser tell the quality of the stone (cut, clarity, florescence, table, depth etc.) wihtout having an actual certificate in front of them.

4. How can I make sure that the stone has not been inhanced in clarity?

5. What should I be expecting to pay for this type of service, assuming that I would bring couple of different stones during the course of the day for appriasal and consultation.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Bubbles

----------------

I simply don't recommend buying in the diamond district. There are too many ways for sellers and appraisers there to take advantage of you and we have heard too many stories like this. The best diamond prices and quality are online. You can buy online from a vendor who has a good return policy and use the services of an independent appraiser. Some dealers will also agree to send a stone to an independent appraiser like David Atlas, who posts here as "oldminer", before you even pay for the diamond (www.gemappraisers.com).

Buy a diamond with a GIA or AGS diamond grading report. The prices online are extremely competitive with markups from wholesale lists of only 5-10%. Your friends may not have gotten the deals they thought they did by buying stones without independent grading reports in the diamond district.

Feel free to ask questions here and we will be happy to help you safely find a diamond you will like at a good price. Read the tutorial and information about appraisers at www.pricescope.com and pay attention to the information about the importance of the cut quality of a diamond, which affects price just as color, clarity and carat weight do. The cut quality is the most important aspect in determining the beauty of a diamond.

Hope that helps you even if it is not what you wanted to read. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results