shape
carat
color
clarity

nomenclature on appraisal of ruby ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:

I am in search of a ruby and have seen one ring in person accompanied by an two appraisals, but I am unsure of what one of the terms written on one of the documents meant. Can anyone enlighten me?

Here are the details:

1.71 oval (8.0 x 5.92 x 3.80)
vivid very slightly purplish red
mod. included; good cut
probably origin Burma

GIA StpR 5/5 (this is the part I don''t understand)

It is set with .85 ctw of diamonds (E/F VS1-2) in plat. and is $10,625 + tax Can.

cheers--Sharon

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2006 12:28:03 PM
Author:canuk-gal
Hello:

I am in search of a ruby and have seen one ring in person accompanied by an two appraisals, but I am unsure of what one of the terms written on one of the documents meant. Can anyone enlighten me?

Here are the details:

1.71 oval (8.0 x 5.92 x 3.80)
vivid very slightly purplish red
mod. included; good cut
probably origin Burma

GIA StpR 5/5 (this is the part I don''t understand)

It is set with .85 ctw of diamonds (E/F VS1-2) in plat. and is $10,625 + tax Can.

cheers--Sharon
they are from the gia color scale.
stpr= strongly purplish red

the numbers are the tone and saturation respectively. 5 in tone= medium 5 in saturation=strong

would love to see a pic!
3.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hey Sharon! I wanna see a pic too!
3.gif

Do either of the appraisals mention indications of heat treatment?

widget

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI

Belle: thank you for your timely reply and help!

Widget: neither appraisal mentioned any treatments whatsoever, whihc is worrysome to me. The owner of the store fully believes the stones are heat treated (he actually has two rings but this larger one was of greater interest to me), and I really don't have a big problem with heat treatment only, but I do with the addition of fillers, etc. So really I have no way of knowing other than to have the stone unset and sent to a lab which could identify this.

No pics allowed (unless of course I buy it), but I did enjoy it's appearance. I tried to view the ring in dark corners--out of the glaring lights--for some compairson and it seemed quite lively.

This ring is on my mind, but I will continue to search until I find the "right" stone (for me). I still think I would really like to fly to NYC and visit VCA and see what they have; a good sojourn for Christmas???
9.gif

ETA: I called VCA in Beverly Hills and they have, in store, an interesting sounding ring--and have access to others in other locations. Oh to dream!

cheers--Sharon

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It would seem to be a good idea for a reference key of abbreviations to appear somewhere on the appraisal.
A consumer and possibly some jewelers wouldn''t understand these abbreviations, either
2.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results