shape
carat
color
clarity

Noddleling on Nomenclature - 3 Stone vs Solitaire with Sides

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
There have been some amazing 3 stones rings of late and I am awaiting glamour shots of a new platinum emerald 3 stone from David Klass, that’s using stones from two rings - my twofer. That got me thinking, when is something a three stone versus a solitaire with sides?

Is is about the size and ratio of the center to the sides? Is it that all three stones in a three stone are an identical prong,bezel,cup, head? Is it about all three being the same cut?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have a Pear with baguettes on either side. They were small...about 10 points each. To me, it was a solitaire with side stones but
I saw others post very similar settings and call them a 3 stone.

So, I dont really have the answer except for what I think which is 3 stones tend to have more presence when compared to side stones.
Its not cut and dried and everyone apparently has a different definition so...YMMV!

What is your definition?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it's strange, but I can't really define it. However, when I look at a ring, I immediately make the determination in my mind, 3 stone or solitaire with sides. I think baguettes make me think of a solitaire with side stones. A ring with the same cut sides as the center, I think 3 stone. Hope that makes sense.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have a Pear with baguettes on either side. They were small...about 10 points each. To me, it was a solitaire with side stones but
I saw others post very similar settings and call them a 3 stone.

So, I dont really have the answer except for what I think which is 3 stones tend to have more presence when compared to side stones.
Its not cut and dried and everyone apparently has a different definition so...YMMV!

What is your definition?

I suppose for me, all 3 need to be the same cut and have the setting setup - prongs, bezel, etc.

The harder question for me is the ratio of side to center. Would a 3 carat center and .50 side in a trellis setting he a 3 stone....?

I think maybe not. So perhaps for me its, like to like cut, setting and the ratio.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking side/center ratio may be the key. The same cut (shape) may also be part of the "definition".
Dont ask me what that ratio is though!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Solitaire" to me is a diamond or colored gemstone set in a piece by itself (i.e., no melee, pave, or side-stones).

And that is the correct definition of solitaire. One diamond set alone on a plain setting without other stones, regardless of their size.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And that is the correct definition of solitaire. One diamond set alone on a plain setting without other stones, regardless of their size.

Yes, this is technically correct. So, how do you reference the other styles? For example, do you refer to a large center diamond with a pave' band as an engagement ring (not a solitaire), in a pave' setting? I think three stones are easier to define, but this is a little confusing. I think people say solitaire to reference a larger center stone regardless of the setting, even though it's technically incorrect. Thanks for your input to help me clarify.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on what the shank/band has as far as stones, I call them settings with pave
or side stones (but not meaning 3 stone) if it's other than pave. Pave means small round
diamonds to me. Not sure what pave means to others. It's all very not-clear, isn't it:))?

Personally, any ring with 3 stones the center that's larger than the other stones on it, can be called a 3-stone to me. E.g. if a ring has a 1ct round center flanked by two smaller rounds with some pave on the shank, it'd be a 3-stone in my eyes.

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
"Solitaire" to me is a diamond or colored gemstone set in a piece by itself (i.e., no melee, pave, or side-stones).

This. The moment there are other stones added, it’s not a solitaire, IMO.

That said, I see why it gets confusing. I’m currently trying to design a 3-stone ring and it’s not uncommon to see examples with tiny sidestones with a large center stone. The overall look for these rings look like a solitaire to me, when compared to the traditional 3-stone ring (i.e. 1-2-1 or similar ratio).

Lovecarats

Rough_Rock
I think my ring is a 3 stone ring even though the center is 3 carats and the sides are 0.5 carats each. 5C886373-F378-461E-A992-BB6A83765F14.jpeg

I think that this one is pretty obviously a 3-stone to most people. However, it can get confusing when the diamonds are super tiny (i.e. accents) or are incorporated into the actual band itself like the first couple of pictures in diamondseker2006’s post above.
Very beautiful ring, by the way!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results