shape
carat
color
clarity

no money in diamonds? bahumug

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
my last post was deleted cause your aparently not allowed to sell diamonds in this forrum. I have imported 2 diamonds from india...as im sure you know india is teh cheapest place to have a diamond cut. and you may have heard that they arent good cuts. but i do not believe that for a second. do you relaly think that all indians are bad cutters? anywasy i purchased 2 small dimonds si1 and 2 about half a carret each they costed me 1570 us dollars. im from canada. i had to pay another 500 in customs wich is 25 percent. it was the only way he would ship. now i tired to sell these in montreal down town st huber street densly. its our 47th street. now they quoted me a price of 700-800 wich puts me in the whole. this all adds up to the theory that you cnat make miney in this business. but i dont buy it. not for a sec. i know that riffs are sold dirt cheap if you go to the right place in soome cases you can get them in africa for 7 dollars! from he locals. 7 dolars goes a long way for a local and they dont have any means to sell them out of the country . but anyways im sure you all dont agree with taht price . the point is these stones start of dirt cheap and get sold for thousands! well i am now thinking about buying ruffs from angola. hopefully with kimberly process certs. my theory on why it didnt work the first time is that when i go to the jewelers to sell them they give me a price that is wasy under wholesale prices. you cant really tell cause the rapaport price list needs to be multiplied by another number. but any ways im assuming i got a "pawn shop" price . by this i mean a price that is given to some one who is desperate to sell rather then a business whole sale price. have any of you ever got a quopte froma local jeweler and experienced this? am i trying to sell at the wrong place? what do you think is the retail and whole sale price of these stones? now i know you guys like alot of details but truth be told its all meaningless in the dimod world its si1 .47 carrets and si2.48 carrets. they have been obsereved by a number of jewelwrs who all agree with this and they say the cut is good. theres something missing... i should be abel to make money if its cut in india. the guy told me he pays 17$ an hour to have something cut! let me knwo what you all think
[email protected]

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gosh Northern, it sounds like you've found a unique and different way to get rich quickly. All you need to do is find customers who agree that everything other than weight and clarity are meaningless and who don't mind paying premium prices and find a vendor in Africa who is willing to sell you stones dirt cheap.

I wish you the best of luck with it, but don't quit your day job just yet.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it may be that the price of labour is as is, but this doesn''t mean that no one made a profit between you and the Indian cutter, of course.

There is no way to tell where the price you paid and the one you were offered stand without knowing a bit more about the diamonds: color ? clarity ? certification ? If you do know what are the approximate grades of the two, it should be straightforward to check the database here for some similar quotes.

There are dozens of threads on Pricescope from people (not in the trade) trying to sell diamonds. Usually there isn''t much encouragement and it does seem that diamonds are solt privately at a serious discount below the least retail price. Some rings were bought this way too - one recently (link). With two diamonds at hand you may not get any better "treatment" than someone trying to resell some of the content of their jewelry box. What makes your position different ?
34.gif

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
thanks for your responses so far, the reason why i dont think all the info is improtant is because most jewelers jsut care about carret and clarity as long as everything else looks ok there usualy happy. most people i have talkedto internationally focus on that as long as the color isnt bad. youd be surprised how dimaonds are sometimes changed hands without any test being done besides a quick look in a magnifine glace. locally, they will ,,aybe also check if its is rela of not by checking the conductivity. and mayce they will measure the sides but usualy not. the microscope seems to be teh tool of choice. yesit is easy to have a cz sold but usualy peole do business with people they trust otherwise theyll check the conductivity. it is only the consumer that usually askes for certs and detailed info. for those of you have been on 47th you knwo how it is done in those boothes wher ethe real business is done all on consignment with simpple handshakes. a half caret dimaond is really not much to worry about. no i dont have certs but could get them. i dont think any retailer would ask for them.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Step #1. CARAT

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
step 3: focus on useless detsails and let the world pass you by

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
lets get back to use full info that may benfirt all of us. besides the dictionary idea. have any of you ever tried to find a way to make money what were your experiences. do you have any advice?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
oh moremoremore-----------i am laughing on the floorfloorfloor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
what''s a benfirt?
33.gif
34.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
uh... you paid $2000 for 2 half carat SI diamonds? Good luck selling them! I bought a GIA .43 D/VS2 for $700... who''s gonna pay you that much for SIs?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2005 10:12:21 PM
Author: [email protected]
lets get back to use full info that may benfirt all of us. besides the dictionary idea. have any of you ever tried to find a way to make money what were your experiences. do you have any advice?
yeah, use common sense.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i think peter sellers has come back from the dead!

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
take a wild guess jenny maybe its a typo? you should of caught on unless thats the only one you noticed. any ways it seems prety obvious that this place has a lot of consumers in here i get it alot. they think they know everything using all the latest and greatest terminolgy with out rell know much about the one thing that maters... the money....not the spellling (yes thats 3 l''s eat your hart out )

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Spelling or not, ths forum is a very open and tolerant place. But your posts ramble on with disjointed "factoids" and yes--such poor grammar and spelling that it makes it almost tortuous to read and difficult to understand.

This is not an English test but readability is a start. If you're serious about your ideas, why don't you try investing some of your time in expressing them more clearly.

Also, I am not expert and never claimed to be, but from the skeletal elements of your argument, as fortekitty mentions, I don't think your diamonds are any bargain.

PS No one calls me "Jenny" without permission
2.gif

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
When I sell a stone I need to know exactly what I am buying. I want the 4c''s and an AGS rating, H&A would be nice, but this is at the retail end. I buy from dealers who are particular about their cutters. They seem to have strong views regarding where they come from.

Step#4 forgo the 4c''s and use the sparkle factor rating.

Sparkly diamonds make me look good

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
what do you mean diamond arent any bargain? does that mean there is no money in diamonds? please clarify. I will try to watch the typos if its that dificult to follow but as mentioned earlier you can jsut use common sence to know what benefits is. if its not clear just use your imagination. So you guys think im crazy for thinking i can make money in diamonds? or is it more like jelousy that i have been making contacts while you are siting here discussing wheather gia is better then igi or whatever. Focus.. folow the money. read books and dont assume unconventional thinking is rediculous. lets remeber we''re just consumers and till one of us is moving loose diamonds (over 10) in folded paper freely over a desk without any worry . and selling on credit. till then can we mock each other.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have no interest in "moving diamonds." I am guessing at this point that your idea is to buy stones cut in India and sell them here? Whatever it is, I give up--Good luck to you in your endeavors.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
im all for the sparkly methode it never fails. i have seen shmucks buy huge rocks and they pay a tone . to me there just huncks of commercial crud. and they look in to all the details . look at the stone for imperfections but never look to see if its good. to busy looking for negligable inperfections that they forget to see the beuty in the stone.. yah thats right i splet beuty wrong you can gather up and make fun of that since you all know more about punctuation then you diamonds

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If you can get diamonds for $7 then I''m sure you can make money. Until then, please use some common sense.

Perhaps a flow chart is in order?

.43ct D VS2 diamond = $700 ~~~> BARGAIN ~~> possibly able to resell @ a possible profit
.48ct ? SI2 diamond = $1000 ~~~> NO BARGAIN ~~> no sale

Ability to resell = potential $$$ made
Crap that nobody wants = sunk cost

Jealousy? hahahaha... you''ve got to be kidding, right?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This week i will buy and sell shirts.

hmmm china or Sri Lanka for buying and Paris for selling?

Next week, hmmm, oh yes! Lets buy and sell perfume.
1. go to rubbish tip and find old empty bottles.
2. wash
3. fill with cheap imitation
4. take stand at Market.

Week 3 - relax on beach with profits

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
the australin guy seems to be the most knowledgable out of all of us, i saw his web site and there is a picture of his work space. now i didnt see his dictionary rather i saw alot of tools, you guys should check it out if you''r in to dimonads you could learn a little form the pics. instead of looking at pics of rings over and over why not look a bit deeper? i dont think he cuts cause i looked fast and didnt see a grinder but maybe i missed it. i think the cuters are the ones that abosorb all the profit as we all know a diamond is prety much worthless till its cut. and they can paly around with kimnerly process certs as the certs are only used for ruffs and once its cut it is no longer needed. as for 7 dollar diamonds check out the national geographics documentry about diamonds. it starts at a mine in africa and ends up in antwerp. its very informative however they dont sit at a table and argue about vs1 and vs2 and certs and all that there business people. australia also has some big mines. if om not mistaken they have the bigest one or highest yeilding or best something or other. isnt there a chat to this site?

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
thats real funny garry, its no wonder you dont have the balls to try anything that takes balls . you insy mincy balls seem to occupied suplying your brain with a sad and slow sence of humer that it takes up all the testoterome in your body. maybe your estrogen can help im correcting my typos! hope you dont get to bore of teh rat race

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
ok i take back what i said about garrys balls through some further researc i learnt that his balls my be 2-3 carets biger then mine ( with a higher clearity id say vvs1 as per gia reports) for all of you calculaters. i must say it seems that i have underestimated the people here (not all of you ) but the austrailians so far

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results