shape
carat
color
clarity

No love for emerald cut tourmalines?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed that there were a few blue green/minty green emerald cut tourmalines that have been on Barry''s site for a while. Why do you think these are still there while the rounds have been snapped up rather quickly?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is rather nice, and it's a pity it hasn't sold yet.

http://www.customgemstones.com/TOURMALINE/to1124.html

My only guess it's still around is that it would be difficult to find a setting for. You would have to go custom.

The other ones look a tad bit too dark, closed c-axis, so maybe that's why ???????

Rounds seem to sell like hotcakes on everyone's vendor site. Very easy to set.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
He has had other emerald cut stones sell (I remember a beautiful aqua in march). I think it is just a matter of timing (the right stone coming out when the right buyer is looking).

Also, I think overall rounds are just more popular than other cuts and you are seeing that on his site. I have also noticed his ovals are slower to sell as well.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:15:38 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
This one is rather nice, and it''s a pity it hasn''t sold yet.

My only guess it''s still around is that it would be difficult to find a setting for. You would have to go custom.

The other ones look a tad bit too dark, closed c-axis, so maybe that''s why ???????

Rounds seem to sell like hotcakes on everyone''s vendor site. Very easy to set.
I like that one too. My only concern is that the setting process may chip the corners. What are your thoughts on the emerald cut tourmalines on Barry''s site?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:16:41 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
He has had other emerald cut stones sell (I remember a beautiful aqua in march). I think it is just a matter of timing (the right stone coming out when the right buyer is looking).

Also, I think overall rounds are just more popular than other cuts and you are seeing that on his site. I have also noticed his ovals are slower to sell as well.
I noticed that square emerald/asscher cut stones sell like hot cakes, but not so the regular emerald. I was also wondering if it is the price tag on the emerald cut stones on Barry''s site has something to do with it still being there.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 4:27:16 PM
Author: simplysplendid

This one is rather nice, and it's a pity it hasn't sold yet.

My only guess it's still around is that it would be difficult to find a setting for. You would have to go custom.

The other ones look a tad bit too dark, closed c-axis, so maybe that's why ???????

Rounds seem to sell like hotcakes on everyone's vendor site. Very easy to set.
I like that one too. My only concern is that the setting process may chip the corners. What are your thoughts on the emerald cut tourmalines on Barry's site?
I like this one
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=10&idproduct=2586
although, I would ask him if it's a closed c-axis since he indicated it was medium dark. You don't want it to go black in various lighting.

I take it you're in the market for an emerald cut bluish green tourmaline?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:35:01 PM

Date: 6/7/2009 4:27:16 PM

This one is rather nice, and it''s a pity it hasn''t sold yet.

My only guess it''s still around is that it would be difficult to find a setting for. You would have to go custom.

The other ones look a tad bit too dark, closed c-axis, so maybe that''s why ???????

Rounds seem to sell like hotcakes on everyone''s vendor site. Very easy to set.
I like that one too. My only concern is that the setting process may chip the corners. What are your thoughts on the emerald cut tourmalines on Barry''s site?
I like this one
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=10&idproduct=2586
although, I would ask him if it''s a closed c-axis since he indicated it was medium dark. You don''t want it to go black in various lighting.

I take it you''re in the market for an emerald cut bluish green tourmaline?
I am in the market for bluish green or greenish blue tourmalines. I just can''t get enough of those!
41.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 4:29:23 PM
Date: 6/7/2009 4:16:41 PM

Author: LtlFirecracker

I noticed that square emerald/asscher cut stones sell like hot cakes, but not so the regular emerald. I was also wondering if it is the price tag on the emerald cut stones on Barry's site has something to do with it still being there.

I was thinking that too. His round stones come in all price ranges. I have 2 that are <$50. I have never seen an emerald go for that price. It think that cheeper stones sell faster and that he has more rounds and ovals at lower price points.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 4:37:32 PM

I am in the market for bluish green or greenish blue tourmalines. I just can''t get enough of those!
41.gif
So you want an indicolite with an open c-axis I would imagine. Outside of true Paraiba blues, the Afghani stuff is the nicest IMHO, but hard to come by. Sometimes gemlineinc gets them in. The Namibian and Nigerian material is nice as well. I''ll keep my eyes open!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
there are two that I''d snatch up... if I had no budget, they are pricier than I am willing to pay because of it.
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am one of the few who like blue green tourmalines in emerald cuts. I have only seen GemLine sell open axis indicoliltes. Have you considered Gene's Nigerian tourmalines?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I am an emerald cut fan, too! The one that will come home with me just has not been found yet
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like emerald cut tourmalines as well, although I usually go for clipped corners to minimize chipping.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:18:13 PM

41.gif
So you want an indicolite with an open c-axis I would imagine. Outside of true Paraiba blues, the Afghani stuff is the nicest IMHO, but hard to come by. Sometimes gemlineinc gets them in. The Namibian and Nigerian material is nice as well. I''ll keep my eyes open!!
Thanks TL. I''ll check out gemlineinc, I haven''t dealt with them before. I am not so particular about the location of the stone, as long as it is pretty. I have noticed though that there seems to be a preference for mozambique, followed by namibian, nigerian then congolese stones on Barry''s site, or perhaps it is just my imagination.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 5:56:33 PM
Author: Chrono
I am one of the few who like blue green tourmalines in emerald cuts. I have only seen GemLine sell open axis indicoliltes. Have you considered Gene''s Nigerian tourmalines?
I am so silly, I just couldn''t see of the things that members here have been talking about (there''s another thread on his paraiba parcel) and I just realised that there is a member''s only section on his site. I need to go and sign up. I have a nigerian tourmaline from Dan and the colour is really nice, so I am definitely open to another nigerian stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 5:18:13 PM

41.gif
Whatever location they come from, make sure they have double open axis'' and that there isn''t a huge grey overtone. Indicolites tend to suffer from going extinct (closed axis) and having too much grey, unless you like grey. The only reason I mention it is that, textbook wise, grey detracts from the value of a colored stone, and IMO (although not everyone agrees), I find grey to make a stone look less vibrant and more "muddy" if it''s overtoned, or too washed out if it''s undertoned. Good luck on your search!
9.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been eyeing those emerald cut tourmalines but they are out of my price range right now. If not, they''d be at my house right now!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I just noticed the one he emailed me is not on his site. Either someone bought it or he just hasn''t ever listed it. It is a really bluish one that he said he was having tested at ISG for copper content. It has sort of a scissors cut to it and it looks gorgeous. I didn''t even ask what the price was because I figured I couldn''t afford it.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 6:43:53 PM
Author: cinnamon013
I just noticed the one he emailed me is not on his site. Either someone bought it or he just hasn''t ever listed it. It is a really bluish one that he said he was having tested at ISG for copper content. It has sort of a scissors cut to it and it looks gorgeous. I didn''t even ask what the price was because I figured I couldn''t afford it.
Hi C

Are you referring to Barry or Gene? Thanks.
21.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 8:42:54 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Hi C

21.gif
Barry - it was T-1971 when he emailed me a picture. This is what he said on the email - "Now, this is what you really need! Actually, I''m having it tested at ISG for copper content. I got lucky when I got it and lucky when I cut it. It looks like it has a scissors cut on the pavilion but that''s an illusion caused by the design of the crown. It turned out pretty neat."

Ask him if he still has it and to send you a picture if so. I misread about the scissors cut.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 9:05:02 AM

Date: 6/9/2009 8:42:54 AM
Author: Lovinggems

Hi C

21.gif
Barry - it was T-1971 when he emailed me a picture. This is what he said on the email - ''Now, this is what you really need! Actually, I''m having it tested at ISG for copper content. I got lucky when I got it and lucky when I cut it. It looks like it has a scissors cut on the pavilion but that''s an illusion caused by the design of the crown. It turned out pretty neat.''

Ask him if he still has it and to send you a picture if so. I misread about the scissors cut.
Thanks C!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cinnamon,
You are one lucky gal. I hope it comes back with proven copper content!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 9:43:12 AM
Cinnamon,
You are one lucky gal. I hope it comes back with proven copper content!
Cinnamon are you still considering the stone? Sorry for the misunderstanding. If you decide to get it please post photos.
12.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LG,
My mistake. I just re-read that Cinn didn't bother to ask for the price because she assumed it is out of her budget.
emembarrassed.gif
Although I do recommend asking Barry. It never hurts to ask. Maybe it might fall within her budget, who knows?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 9:58:55 AM
LD,
My mistake. I just re-read that Cinn didn''t bother to ask for the price because she assumed it is out of her budget.
emembarrassed.gif
Although I do recommend asking Barry. It never hurts to ask. Maybe it might fall within her budget, who knows?
Chrono yes that right about asking, I am really curious about seeing this stone now.
12.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Please check with Barry on it. I don''t have any plans to get it. It is just something he sent me a picture of when I was looking for a stone.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Lovinggems, did you get to ask Barry about T-1971?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I am now working on a 6ct emerald cut bluish green tourmaline. The cutter describe it as a seafoam green. I am really excited about it.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 5:51:51 PM
Lovinggems, did you get to ask Barry about T-1971?
SS

Yes the gem is still at ISG testing for copper content. Barry haven''t decided on the price yet.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 5:53:34 PM
I am now working on a 6ct emerald cut bluish green tourmaline. The cutter describe it as a seafoam green. I am really excited about it.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
The stone sounds really wonderful already, please do post photos if you are able to.

Have you receive the gorgeous BB blue-green tourmaline yet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results