shape
carat
color
clarity

"No indication of heating" AIGS. What about other possible treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there I had just purchased a Color Change sapphire that will come with a AIGS brief report (card size). I notice that in some reports "No indication of heating" will be stated below Natural sapphire. However in some reports nothing is stated below. May I know why is that so? If noting is sated below, does that means that it might be heated? Does AIGS only test the sapphire for heat treatment only? What about other possible treatments that could be done to the sapphire? Will it be stated in a brief report? Will I be ''secured'' with a brief AIGS report? As this is my first online purchase of a sapphire. Just wanna check out to be on the safe side:) Thanks everyone.

gemstone_id_brief_report2.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
O ya one more question. Since my purchase is a color change sapphire. Will the report states that its a Natural color change sapphire, stating the 2 different colors? Or will it just sates Natural sapphire? tks

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
These are questions that are best directed to the AIGS lab. I don''t think anyone here can speak for the lab. They have a website and provide contact information.

I can relate some of my experience with this particular lab. For sapphire, the most common treatments are simple heat treatment, and diffusion treatments with various chemicals. Since the diffusion treatments require heat, usually at very high temperatures, a sapphire that is certified as unheated has not been diffused. But you should have the lab confirm this for you.

When AIGS does not note any treatment, it usually means they cannot determine if the gem has been treated. This happens sometimes with clean specimens of aquamarine, for example, where low temperature heating (to remove yellow tone) does not modify the stone in any way that can be detected by the lab. I have seen similar test reports from a GIA lab.

As far as colors go, I don''t think the AIGS reports make any attempt to certify color in a scientific way. The same holds for clarity grades. Neither AIGS nor GIA seem to make any attempt to grade colored gems for clarity, apparently due to the absence of any standard way to do it.

In my experience, AIGS is one of one of the most respected gemological labs in the world, and their reports are highly regarded. I''m not sure what you mean by being "secured" by a lab report, but top labs like AIGS and GIA are rarely wrong in their reports.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Can''t help you about the report, but may I ask which stone did you get? Any photos to share?

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks more Carat:)

Hi ma re! I had decided on the last CC sapphire (from my last thread). The one that was priced the same as the CC garnet. The vendor had also agreed to reserve the CC garnet for me, should I decide to exchange the CC sapphire to the CC garnet:) So far, I am please with their prompt response. Hopefully I will be please with the sapphire too:razz: Will definitely keep you guys update when the sapphire arrive! In the meantime more views pls:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results