shape
carat
color
clarity

No idea how/where to start with getting a diamond into a new setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daydreamer

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone -

I tried searching, but couldn''t find the answer to what must be a common question.

My bf and I want to reset the diamond from my grandmother''s engagement ring into a new setting (and use it for our engagement.) The original setting is long gone and can''t be reused. Neither of us have any experience with fine jewelry and have no idea how to start. Do we just go talk to a couple of jewelers? Do we bring the diamond? Do we stick with independent jewelers or talk to chain ones as well (we have Shane''s and some others around here.) The diamond itself is only 0.5 carats, though very pretty. Does this make a difference as we won''t be looking to spend more than $1000 on the setting and labor. Is this even feasible? I''m particularly concerned because we live in a high cost of living area where $1000 would be a very small sale for a jeweler.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Do you have an idea of what you would like for your new setting? Style, material, etc.

If not, I would take a shopping trip and go to several jewelers and ask to look at settings first without taking your diamond along. You will get a good idea of what kind of settings are available and that you like, as well as a good idea of what places have good service and you would like to deal with. Independents are usually the best for service, but look around. Keep in mind that most of the Pricescope recommended internet vendors will also be more than willing to set your own diamond into one of their settings if you find one you like.

I wouldn't worry about the "small sale"--someone with truly good service gives that no matter what size the sale. $1000 is easily doable for a setting and mounting charge. The members here will have great suggestions for possible mountings within budget if you give them an idea of what metal and style you would like.

You say the original setting is long gone--does this mean the diamond is loose? You will probably also want to get an independent appraisal done while the stone is unmounted. There is a search tool in the resources tab at the top of the page to find a list of independent appraisers in your area (or Lorelei has the link memorized, I think
1.gif
)

I think it is great that you are getting to use your grandmother's diamond for your engagement. Keep us in the loop and be sure to post pictures once the ring is done!

Noahsmom

Shiny_Rock
You might want to try doing what I did. Go hang out on the Show Me The Ring board. Look at the various styles and mountings that are out there.
I can tell you that I was able to find my setting and matching wedding band for under $1000. It is doable, if you know where to look. The other best option is take a trip to several stores, try on styles, if you have the diamond with you, you can lightly set it in whatever you are trying on to get an idea of how it will look.

Good luck and welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results