shape
carat
color
clarity

Nix on the pave -- new setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock

Since October I''ve had some melee fall out of my yellow gold setting. I took it to the jeweler and asked about fixing the design problems with the dirt getting under the melee and replacing what fell out and decided it was more maintenance than I wanted to deal with. My jeweler suggested making earrings out of the setting (not this week, LOL!) so with that in mind, I decided to have my .80 rb re-set.

The new setting is a solitaire, but it is really heavy -- lots of gold. It''s in the style of the tension settings but with a peg head. It may not be very clear in these photos, but it is two tone, with the white gold on the shank of the ring. I''m wearing it with my 13 stone wedding band.

solitaire rb 2.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Picture 2.

solitaire rb 3.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
#3.

solitaire rb 4.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
#4.

solitaire rb 5.JPG

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Last one for now.

solitaire rb 6.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s beautiful lumpkin and looks great with your wedding band..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lumpkin, I was wondering how you were dealing with your issues.

Can you do us a fave? Try taking some tomorrow outside in daylight, as indoors everything is blending together and it''s hard to tell what it really looks like. Also, think you could get a close up, looking down your finger at the profile. (camera is level with outstretched hand)

I just really wanna see what it looks like!
5.gif

Do you like it?

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
That looks wonderful! I love the new setting, congrats.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the two tone in your new setting. I hear ya on the disappearing melee. Such a pain! I have been pretty lucky so far and have only lost one in almost two years but the fear is always there
2.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I love the new setting!!!
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it, looks great!!!!
36.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the nice comments.
emembarrassed.gif
I''m a little embarrassed because I just had this diamond set in October in an existing setting. It was really beautiful, but it got gunk under the melee and I cleaned it constantly, then melee fell out, it was a nightmare! I have to live in my ring -- there''s no point in having it if I can''t wear it, and I''m not one of the ladies who lunch, KWIM?

Tacori -- I think the design of your ring is better than mine was -- I''m sure you have the drilled seats for your melee so they are much easier to clean, thus you won''t be damaging the bead prongs cleaning it every other minute, LOL!

So I do love this setting. It is very different from my last one. It''s perfect for this diamond -- couldn''t get a larger diameter diamond in it. Ellen -- I promise to take more and better pictures. I got a new camera and I''m getting used to it, so I''m taking a ton of pictures. These were the first of many, LOL!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 10:21:18 PM
Author: lumpkin
emembarrassed.gif
I''m a little embarrassed because I just had this diamond set in October in an existing setting. It was really beautiful, but it got gunk under the melee and I cleaned it constantly, then melee fell out, it was a nightmare! I have to live in my ring -- there''s no point in having it if I can''t wear it, and I''m not one of the ladies who lunch, KWIM?

Tacori -- I think the design of your ring is better than mine was -- I''m sure you have the drilled seats for your melee so they are much easier to clean, thus you won''t be damaging the bead prongs cleaning it every other minute, LOL!

So I do love this setting. It is very different from my last one. It''s perfect for this diamond -- couldn''t get a larger diameter diamond in it. Ellen -- I promise to take more and better pictures. I got a new camera and I''m getting used to it, so I''m taking a ton of pictures. These were the first of many, LOL!
36.gif
On the camera! And the pics are fine, it''s just the indoors lighting that tends to leave out detail. I hope you aren''t upset. After I posted, I thought, I hope I didn''t sound like a director.
40.gif

I''m so glad you like it, I know how much you liked your other setting. I did too, but I understand how problematic it had become.

Can''t wait to see more pics!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 10:45:25 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/7/2007 10:21:18 PM
emembarrassed.gif

36.gif
On the camera! And the pics are fine, it''s just the indoors lighting that tends to leave out detail. I hope you aren''t upset. After I posted, I thought, I hope I didn''t sound like a director.
40.gif

I''m so glad you like it, I know how much you liked your other setting. I did too, but I understand how problematic it had become.

Can''t wait to see more pics!
You crack me up, Ellen! No, I just think you take such awesome pictures and I really DO need to work on mine.

It''s funny how you (you general, not you Ellen) can look back on a post and think, hmmm, not sure if I got that across right. I hope no one thinks I''m insinuating that they ARE a lady who lunches just because they aren''t having the problems I did. I think I just had a badly designed pave, and I don''t want to keep throwing good money after bad. I''d rather save up for more jewelry than keep spending on one piece.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the new setting and I love your wb w/it! Very classic! Love it
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry that you had problems with your pave, but your new setting really is gorgeous and something a little different. I hope you can enjoy this one without any issues.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s lovely!! I''m so sorry about the pave ring, but I''m glad you found something else you love!

Keep the pics coming!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful, I love it!!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
This makes sense - no point trying to live with a setting that is driving you nuts. The new one is really pretty, very clean look. Excellent!

How are you making earrings out of the old setting? That sounds creative.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look with your diamond band - very pretty!
30.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the new setting a lot, and it looks perfect with your wedding band!

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I like it. Real clean lines. I''m sorry to hear about the problems with your old setting. Seems like when it comes to pave, none of us can resist the call, and none of us can stand to keep up with it!

What are the earrings going to look like?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2007 10:54:57 PM

You crack me up, Ellen! No, I just think you take such awesome pictures and I really DO need to work on mine.

It''s funny how you (you general, not you Ellen) can look back on a post and think, hmmm, not sure if I got that across right. I hope no one thinks I''m insinuating that they ARE a lady who lunches just because they aren''t having the problems I did. I think I just had a badly designed pave, and I don''t want to keep throwing good money after bad. I''d rather save up for more jewelry than keep spending on one piece.
Oh good, you''re not upset!
9.gif
Yes, it''s hard sometimes with the written word, to know we said what we meant!

Have fun with that new camera, try and get some new fire shots too!

And thanks.
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
its funny because even though I was considering doing a ring very similiar to your last one, I like this one better! You look jaundiced though LOL ;-) Seriously - it''s a very nice ''weight'' for your hand, your band, your stone etc. and btw you have very pretty fingernails!!!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE IT!!! Can you post the old setting? Side diamonds are nice but my bag. get soooo much dirt under them that I too wonder if it is worth the hassle. The solitare look is beautiful!!! I love your new ring. Also, your wedding band would be a perfect match to my set... Love the engraving.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Lumpkin, I just found your old setting. I notice you mentioned darking under the pave. I have this wierd darking that keeps showing up under my baguette stones.... I keep taking it back and they say they fixed but with in a short time it is right back. IT makes my side stones look like there is a shadow under them..... I HATE the look. Is this what you experienced. My setting is platinum but have to keep taking it back for a special cleaning and it never goes away
7.gif
Did yours ever fix??? It drives me crazy and they act like I am insane.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again! You are all very kind and it really is fun to see what you have to say.

Tomorrow (or maybe after the kids are asleep tonight) I''ll have more time to reply to each question -- I''ve got Cub Scouts tonight and dinner isn''t on the table yet.
14.gif

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Lumpkin, the new setting looks great! Although I do love the look of pave, it seems like a little too much upkeep (JMHO) for daily wear. I''m all for comfort and durability while still showing off the bling
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful lumpkin! I really love the band as well. Do you alternate with your pear? Just curious. You do still have that, right?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock

Beacon and Colorkitty – Let’s see if I can give you an idea. I would take the sides of the old ring and make each side into a sort of huggy earring with omega backs. There would be graduated channel set baguettes down the middle with a line of bead set melee on each side. I’m not sure if I would put the wider part up or down. At any rate it will be a very long time before I do it, because I will probably have them completely redone from wax and designed so that the melee doesn’t get yucky underneath. Here’s a little cut out of one side of the ring to give you a sort of visual.

makeringintoearrings.jpg

Cehrabehra – How funny! I do look jaundiced. But the camera doesn’t lie. That’s my exact skin tone under that lighting. I used to be a nail tech and wore sculpted French nails all the time because I felt I needed to advertise my product, but I’m glad I don’t have to any more. Now I just polish a French manicure.

Woobug – I think you may be experiencing something similar, but they could never get the gunk completely cleaned out. I had it soaked in an acid bath, etc. Gary Holloway gave me a method of boiling water, putting it in a cup, and putting the ring in the hot water. It did help a lot, but the problem kept returning, and it never was completely clean. It really spoiled the look of the ring and made it look as if the diamonds were really gray and tinted.

Firegoddess – I regret to say I no longer have my pear. I just couldn’t keep investing in settings trying to find the right one, so I traded it back to Abazias. I took a bath on it, but fortunately, it was not a COLD bath, merely luke warm, LOL! I’m not sorry I traded it, but I wish I could have had both. It would have made a very nice pendant. It was just too tinted to put in a halo. If it had been whiter I would not have traded it, but the color eventually did bother me a lot, because it made setting it much more difficult.

I will take more pictures as soon as I can get some nice sunlight.

makeringintoearrings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results