shape
carat
color
clarity

Niel buys another gaudy sapphire

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t posted over here lately so I though I’d get everyone up to sleed on my newest acquisition.
I found this listing on eBay a while back. Listing an approx. 7.8 ct sapphire 11.7x12.7 in size in a very Oscar Heyman style setting.
Price was reasonable but I still got them down 1000 which was ridiculous but I’m not complaining.
73657FA9-2971-49BA-B67C-CBDA98503026.jpeg
Her window is bad but I was unsure how I’d feel about recutting her based on size. I didn’t believe it was only 7 CT’s, but I didn’t want it to be say, 10.01 ct and I recut it and now I’ve lost a lot of value.
Anyways so I took it to be unset and I got it back today. It’s this tiny little jewelry store run by a few old women. They are not the best, but they are cheap lol.
I asked them after unsetting how much it weighed. “Let’s get the scale out” they get an old scale out and the older bench tells me “looks like about 3 cts. It’s an old cut cushion!”
“Ok” I said “but can you just weigh it”
They plop it on the scale “2.3” he says
“No....no it’s not”
They invited me to come look at the scale because I didn’t believe them. I bend down and read the scale. “This says grams and dwt” I say. Trying to nicely point out that they aren’t weighing the stone right I said “is pennyweight the same as ctw?”
They tell me yes. Hahaha
I told them the dimentions and I mentioned that I am aware sapphires way more than diamonds. The bench responds. “Yes sapphires are more dense than diamonds. A 6.5mm diamond is 1ct”
“I know “ I say exasperated......”and this is 11*12!”
At this point I was tired of arguing and just paid for the unsetting fee and left. Took it to a better jeweler- turns out it was about 12.11. I say “better” jeweler Becuase even they were annoying. I plop my stone down and asked them to weigh it. They respond “you don’t talk about ctw with sapphires the way you do with diamonds “
Lol ok. Just do it.
But anyways, so 12.11ct! She’s off to Jerry to get the window taken care of then I’m going to send her to get a cert. will keep you posted on the recut and the cert.
I think I’m going to reset her into a three stone. Either with cushion or half moon sides. But if you have other opinions please let me know!

Attachments

• 17CDD604-C724-4EAD-9141-5C0F78F5AAE1.jpeg
    17CDD604-C724-4EAD-9141-5C0F78F5AAE1.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 52
  • CDBAA248-77AE-49EC-9FF6-90C12F647DA7.jpeg
    CDBAA248-77AE-49EC-9FF6-90C12F647DA7.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please click on the photos. They look blurry- but when you click on them they aren’t.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2cts? Really? :lol:
Who knew it could be so hard to get a gemstone weighed for ct weight? :P2

All that aside, I love the color and I think it would look amazing in a three stone. :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are you planning to do with the setting?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2cts? Really? :lol:
Who knew it could be so hard to get a gemstone weighed for ct weight? :P2

All that aside, I love the color and I think it would look amazing in a three stone. :love:

Haha right, I think they were giving it to me in grams.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this ring!!!!:kiss2: Exactly as it is. Dibs if you ever want to sell.8)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this ring!!!!:kiss2: Exactly as it is. Dibs if you ever want to sell.8)
Thank you most everyone hates her current setting - until I mention all the Oscar Heyman settings it looks like... then they change their tune lol. It’ll be set back into its current setting after being recut and gettin a report- but long term I still think I’d like a three stone.
(The Heyman settings )
5D1736E2-1635-4CD0-B9A7-3987FDD61C03.jpeg 81B518DE-F1DA-4C5B-A8AA-E59F0320FC1C.jpeg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous Niel, you find the best stuff lol! I do like the current setting, but a 3 stone would look amazing. :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the current setting, and think it'll look great in there after a recut. LOL at 2cts--people are sometimes so exasperating!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Stunning! I can’t wait to see the recut

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God I love the whole ring and I have no idea who Oscar Heyman is. What a great find!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wow this is an excellent score! :appl::appl::appl:
Congrats!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I didn't like the setting until I saw it on your hand. It looks divine! Congratulations on a teriffic score. Can't wait to see how it looks after it is recut.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color of your sapphire reminds me of yellow diamonds. It will look incredible when it's recut and I love the ring on your hand. The proportions fit so well.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the original setting! I don’t know who Oscar Heyman is either.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color of your sapphire reminds me of yellow diamonds. It will look incredible when it's recut and I love the ring on your hand. The proportions fit so well.

Yes it’s a striking canary yellow color. No orange. I’d say no brown either. I wasn’t sure how pastel it would be based on the eBay photos but luckily it’s nicely saturated.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What a great find and bargaining down a grand?? I want to go shopping with you. Hope the stone comes back perfect and windowless. I like the setting as is, it’s very glamorous 1940s Old Hollywood to me!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
God I love the whole ring and I have no idea who Oscar Heyman is. What a great find!
@JPie - this is because you ladies have good taste lol. That emerald shaped OH is for sale for 56k!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic Neil! Wow that is gorgeous, setting and all.

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
I must have weird taste because I absolutely ADORE that setting! I rarely see one that thrills me but yours is one. Never heard of Oscar Heyman and I think your setting is prettier than the other examples. Last thing I need to be spending money on, but I'd be tempted if you sell it...

Oh yeah and fantastic sapphire too :lol: best of luck for a beautiful recut!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it’s a striking canary yellow color. No orange. I’d say no brown either. I wasn’t sure how pastel it would be based on the eBay photos but luckily it’s nicely saturated.
I feel like you should get it recut using @Bron357's incredible yellow sapphire faceting as a pattern. I big puffy heart :kiss2: that stone and I do not even like yellow stones!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like you should get it recut using @Bron357's incredible yellow sapphire faceting as a pattern. I big puffy heart :kiss2: that stone and I do not even like yellow stones!

She’s not getting a pattern. She’s getting a “keep as much ctw as possible don’t go under 10cts”
As depending on the treatment I’m throwing $$$ down the drain as is

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s not getting a pattern. She’s getting a “keep as much ctw as possible don’t go under 10cts”
As depending on the treatment I’m throwing $$$ down the drain as is
Well fair enough.. it's just a suggestion

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! It’s not gaudy at all. Congratulations on your lovely piece of sunshine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results