shape
carat
color
clarity

Niece needs help

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My niece is trying to stretch her budget and came upon this. I told her I would ask for opinions. It is being sold as a 1.38 but can't tell if it's an old mine or cushion or European. It looks like a puffy yellow pillow. I have been persuading her to consider old cuts to get more bang for her buck and also bc she wasn't set on any kind if diamond in particular but I don't want her to make a mistake. It is not certified but does come with a 30 day return policy.
image_2239.jpg image_2240.jpg image_2241.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut looks pretty, though it looks like it might be a fairly low color stone. Are there any indications that this is truly an old stone (i.e., does the setting show signs of wear etc.?) Has your niece examined it with a loupe, and can she see any inclusions? Is the seller making any representations re the color or clarity? How much is the seller asking?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1408907283|3738595 said:
The cut looks pretty, though it looks like it might be a fairly low color stone. Are there any indications that this is truly an old stone (i.e., does the setting show signs of wear etc.?) Has your niece examined it with a loupe, and can she see any inclusions? Is the seller making any representations re the color or clarity? How much is the seller asking?
So we louped it and is very clean. No major chips, inclusions, carbon under a loupe. There is wear in the prongs so it does look authentic. It is very yellow. She needs to come to terms with that. I'm concerned about the faceting and the type of do cut it is. It measures 6.9 mm by 6.6 mm. It is $4800. The seller is not making any representations. The return period would enable her to get an appraisal.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1408917357|3738655 said:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.callagold.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Vintage-old-mine-cut-Diamonds-by-Laurent.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.callagold.com/antique-diamonds/designing-jewelry-with-vintage-diamonds/&h=549&w=600&tbnid=gT7LnpAP_5wkMM:&zoom=1&docid=ZsyW7W3H4F98uM&hl=en&ei=CV_6U5zqI4mNyASh3IKgAg&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CCMQMygFMAU

old miners......large cut culet

I wouldn't rule out OEC just because of the culet. To me the distinction between OEC and OMC also takes into account the overall symmetry of the cut - and it's hard to judge that from the photos that have been provided.

Nala - you might want to check on Old World Diamonds, Jewels by Grace, and Love Affair Diamonds to see the asking retail price for comparable diamonds. You can search OWD using your estimates of the color and clarity grades as search parameters. Of course - bear in mind that sites like OWD can charge a premium because most of their diamonds come with at least an EGL cert and return options, whereas your niece will be buying without these protections.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1408993247|3739078 said:
heididdl|1408917357|3738655 said:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.callagold.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Vintage-old-mine-cut-Diamonds-by-Laurent.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.callagold.com/antique-diamonds/designing-jewelry-with-vintage-diamonds/&h=549&w=600&tbnid=gT7LnpAP_5wkMM:&zoom=1&docid=ZsyW7W3H4F98uM&hl=en&ei=CV_6U5zqI4mNyASh3IKgAg&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CCMQMygFMAU

old miners......large cut culet

I wouldn't rule out OEC just because of the culet. To me the distinction between OEC and OMC also takes into account the overall symmetry of the cut - and it's hard to judge that from the photos that have been provided.

Nala - you might want to check on Old World Diamonds, Jewels by Grace, and Love Affair Diamonds to see the asking retail price for comparable diamonds. You can search OWD using your estimates of the color and clarity grades as search parameters. Of course - bear in mind that sites like OWD can charge a premium because most of their diamonds come with at least an EGL cert and return options, whereas your niece will be buying without these protections.

Thanks. I have been trying to compare these myself, but it's hard without the specifics. I was hoping others might chime in on the overall look of this stone. She is open to changing the setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure that's an OMC. I think it depends on the price and whether she is in love with the ring. If she isn't crazy about it, then I'd forget it. But if she loves it, I'd only buy if the price is right and there is a return policy after the appraisal. I feel like it is harder to find a well cut OMC as opposed to an OEC. Sometimes they are a little more wonky. Plus she would have to be very comfortable with the lower color.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
What specifically does she like about the ring? The size of the center stone? Color of center stone? The setting? The fact that it's vintage? Is her budget $5k? Are you looking for this group to give opinions on the ring or find something for a similar price?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Travelgal|1409083083|3739658 said:
What specifically does she like about the ring? The size of the center stone? Color of center stone? The setting? The fact that it's vintage? Is her budget $5k? Are you looking for this group to give opinions on the ring or find something for a similar price?
Update: She purchased the ring but negotiated it down to $4200 including tax and still has the 30 day return window. So, we took it to my jeweler who eyeballed it and said that it was likely an M color and VS2 clarity and that it might be close to being a 1.5 carat. He used his calipers and they read 7mm by 6.7 mm. She looked at his OEC's and the least expensive was 4500 for a 1.03 SI K color in comparable setting. This comparison encouraged her more to keep this ring and honestly, I think it more about the size. My jeweler did give her ideas about setting it in yellow gold to mask the color somewhat and she is open to that.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pretty diamond Nala, just going by the few pics I don't see any glaring problems - and it seems like a good price to me. It's a great size, and as long as she's fine with the color it sounds like a good choice for her! A lot of these old gals are lower in color. Sounds like she is happy with it, and she has 30 days to get it appraised and give it some more thought anyway.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results